The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #1901
InitialBoss

Re: SoCal checkin' in

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopped up View Post
same place as last time randy. the movie theater in montrose
Montrose. That sounds far from me. I don't think Optimus (my truck) may be able to make that voyage. I fixed my fuel pump but so far it's working without leaks. Now I have to figure out why the gas gauge fluctuates between low and raises when I give it gas. Oh and there is that pesky completely whack speedometer problem too. Has me driving at 20 mph more than I really am. These old trucks always have a way of making you spend money on them. LOL.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #1902
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialBoss View Post
Montrose. That sounds far from me. Now I have to figure out why the gas gauge fluctuates between low and raises when I give it gas. Oh and there is that pesky completely whack speedometer problem too. Has me driving at 20 mph more than I really am. These old trucks always have a way of making you spend money on them. LOL.
You have something touching or a broken wire. If you have a rim and tire size that different than the original, your speedo is going to show a different speed. Or you need a new 20 dollar cable.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #1903
hopped up

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialBoss View Post
Montrose. That sounds far from me. I don't think Optimus (my truck) may be able to make that voyage. I fixed my fuel pump but so far it's working without leaks. Now I have to figure out why the gas gauge fluctuates between low and raises when I give it gas. Oh and there is that pesky completely whack speedometer problem too. Has me driving at 20 mph more than I really am. These old trucks always have a way of making you spend money on them. LOL.
id get a new fuel sending unit to fix that fluctuating in your gas gage. and you need to change the gear in your tranny to fix you speedo.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #1904
InitialBoss

Yep, I'm going to get a new cable and hope it fixes the issue. I wish I knew why the trans was changed from manual to auto. I wonder if they used a different gear for the 12 bolt rear end than stock. I don't even know if the 12 bolt it has now is stock. How much do the sending units cost? Are they easy to install? Aside from learning how to replace the fuel pump, I get nervous working around fuel.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #1905
nibs
JRods Garage

Merry Christmas guys! Hope you all have a great one.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #1906
69Rumbler

Marry Xmas ever ! Side note any of you guys every use peel and seal ? Lol
Old 12-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #1907
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopped up View Post
same place as last time randy. the movie theater in montrose
You gotta' give me a break Andy, I'm a freakin' old guy. Merry Christmas everyone.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #1908
hopped up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rumbler View Post
Marry Xmas ever ! Side note any of you guys every use peel and seal ? Lol
Merry Xmas guys!! Yes peel and seal is a great alternative to the away more expensive dynamat
Old 12-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #1909
hopped up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
You gotta' give me a break Andy, I'm a freakin' old guy. Merry Christmas everyone.
Lol! I forget sometimes randy
Old 12-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #1910
InitialBoss

Merry Christmas everyone! Have a great and safe holiday!
Old 12-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #1911
VWNate1

Post Re : Fuel Gauge Fun

First things first as the sender rarely poops out and God knows , the new Chinese ones aren't worth spit .

Get some 6' lengths of wire , like old power cords from those junked TV sets on your curb , strip off 3" of bare wire on each end .

Jamb one end of this wire in the slider of the ash tray then touch the other end to the fuel sender's connection and turn on the key ~ this should drive the gauge to one extreme ~ if it does , disconnect both the jumper wire and the sender wire and the gauge should drive to it's other extreme .

*if* the gauge can be driven to it's extremes this way , then the sender is bad .

90 % of the time there's a bad ground between the tank and the cab / frame .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 12-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #1912
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Re: Re : Fuel Gauge Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
90 % of the time there's a bad ground between the tank and the cab / frame .

See thats what I said something like that told you guys my ideas always works sometimes. LOL

Merry Christmas Fellas!
Old 12-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #1913
hopped up

but if its fluctuating id say the sender is moving around in the tank
Old 12-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #1914
C0UCH

Merry Christmas guys!
Old 12-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #1915
VWNate1

Post Re: SoCal checkin' in

Sound deadening ;

It's very important to use it as much as possible as it helps stop the sheet metal from ' drumming ' , this is what telegraphs most of the noise road , engine , tires etc. into the passenger compartment .

However , when using it inside the doors , behind the seat and so on , it's also very important to stop it 1" minimum below the lower edge of each panel , this allows the normal amount of water precipitate to not get rapped and cause rust .

Similarly when you're doing the inside of the roof , stop before you reach the edge pinchwelds .

Be sure to take some time and thoroughly clean out the rain holes in the bottoms of the doors etc. ., not just of leaves but also the 40 years accumulation of dust / mud , insects etc. as all these collect and hold moisture .
Old 12-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #1916
camarojim

ORange County here I would also be intrested in a truck meet Once a month
Old 12-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #1917
camarojim

Orange County Hear I also would be intrested in a truck meet once a month.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #1918
VWNate1

OOPS ~

The single most important thing in sound deadening is to use only closed cell materiel ! open cell holds moisture like a sponge .

Sorry for that gaffe , I was stuffed to the gills with Holiday Foods last night .

I too would like to continue the So. Cal. Meet & Greets , the diverse collection of people and trucks is always interesting .
Old 12-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #1919
ItsRandy

Diverse...look at Nate using big words and stuff.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #1920
InitialBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
Diverse...look at Nate using big words and stuff.
Ha ha. I would like to know about more meets in So Cal. too. I just don't feel up to driving the truck too far away until I get the fuel and speedometer all squared away. Which reminds me. I wonder if I should just get a new or replacement gauge cluster anyways. My odometer doesn't even turn over with the miles. Yep, a true fixer-upper. Ha ha.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #1921
VWNate1

Post Re : Gauges

It's dead simple to replace the floppy circuit sheet but me , I prefer to take the whole thing carefully apart and hand polish the contacts where the MPC goes , this removes 40 + years or built up oxidization & makes the gauges more accurate plus I always clean out the dust and spiders etc. so they illuminate better @ night .

90 % of the time , careful cleaning will get the entire dash back to AS - NEW working condition .

The clear face panel cleans up easily with Meguiar's plastic polish too , all the grime & overspray comes right off .

I'm going to look up some more multi - syllable words now...... .
Old 12-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #1922
Lee H

Re: Re : Gauges

Quote:
Now that's funny.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 12-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #1923
InitialBoss

Re: Re : Gauges

Quote:
It's dead simple to replace the floppy circuit sheet but me , I prefer to take the whole thing carefully apart and hand polish the contacts where the MPC goes , this removes 40 + years or built up oxidization & makes the gauges more accurate plus I always clean out the dust and spiders etc. so they illuminate better @ night .

90 % of the time , careful cleaning will get the entire dash back to AS - NEW working condition .

The clear face panel cleans up easily with Meguiar's plastic polish too , all the grime & overspray comes right off .

Hey Nate,
What do you use to clean the circuit board? I may end up doing that so see if it fixes anything with the gauges.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #1924
VWNate1

I use any typ of brass / copper polish *BUT* you've gotta be really careful as it's easy to push too hard & loosen the thin copper strips loose from the plastic sheet .

If you do , just gently run in the one direction that presses them back into place , once clean wipe the polish residue off with a clean white towel , hold carefully in place as you re assemble everything .

I've done this to many oldies as I'm picky about gauges & lights working etc. plus I'm " Yankee Thrifty " (MEANS : cheap) so even though the sheets are available new & used & junkyards , I prefer to re use whatever I can , every time .

Like wise when replacing those always gone missing ground straps , use star washers to dig in and get 100 % grounding .

Gauges work on Milliamps and millivolts so a couple broken strands in a wire or some minor dirt on the connector , will make it read off ~ stock gauges are cheap crap yes but they're also very pretty and designed to be accurate .

Most of the time someone else has been inside the dash / gauge cluster before you and left out a screw or three , dinged a delicate connector , so forth & so on .

Because YOU care , you'll do a better job than any paid shop , it's not rocket science , just come look at some of the fine trucks built in the back yard then driven to our friendly meet & greets .
Old 12-28-2013, 01:39 AM   #1925
InitialBoss

Quote:
I use any typ of brass / copper polish *BUT* you've gotta be really careful as it's easy to push too hard & loosen the thin copper strips loose from the plastic sheet .

If you do , just gently run in the one direction that presses them back into place , once clean wipe the polish residue off with a clean white towel , hold carefully in place as you re assemble everything .

I've done this to many oldies as I'm picky about gauges & lights working etc. plus I'm " Yankee Thrifty " (MEANS : cheap) so even though the sheets are available new & used & junkyards , I prefer to re use whatever I can , every time .

Like wise when replacing those always gone missing ground straps , use star washers to dig in and get 100 % grounding .

Gauges work on Milliamps and millivolts so a couple broken strands in a wire or some minor dirt on the connector , will make it read off ~ stock gauges are cheap crap yes but they're also very pretty and designed to be accurate .

Most of the time someone else has been inside the dash / gauge cluster before you and left out a screw or three , dinged a delicate connector , so forth & so on .

Because YOU care , you'll do a better job than any paid shop , it's not rocket science , just come look at some of the fine trucks built in the back yard then driven to our friendly meet & greets .
Thanks for the info Nate! You're right. My gauge cluster is looking good for the age but it doesn't work too well. However, the area where it is screwed in around the dash is cracked due to the previous repairs to it. So I wish whoever worked on it prior took more care doing whatever they were doing. I wish my dad cared more about it too. Oh well, it's time I fix it up and make it look better like you said!