The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
Matt_50

V belts to serpentine

My long water pump doesn't leave much room for a fan and some of you recommended using a short water pump on my 350.

The engine currently has a v belt system, I think like three or four belts. If I change to a shorter pump I'll need to change my pulleys but I need some advice. What scrap yard finds do I need to look for that I can take off pulleys and brackets or whatever else I need? This motor was bought as a crate motor in 07, and all the stuff on my old motor was swapped over. Will this motor have all the necessary bolt holes needed? In my searching it looks like sometimes there are small block modifications.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
lv2tri2

Re: V belts to serpentine

I have similar issues and am interested in your results.
lv2tri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
Rickysnickers

This ought to give you a start, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=233335

Search for "4.3 serpentine" and you'll get all kinds of hits.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
joedoh

the shortest sbc system will be from an s10 or astro with a 4.3. serp systems usually include an AC compressor so if you arent planning AC, finding one without or modifying it to delete it will be necessary.

the long water pump serp systems were usually on camaros/f-body because of the distance to the rad. a long water pump only changes the fan stickout, the belts all ride in the same plane as the short water pump stuff, so if you find a cheap serpentine setup with a long water pump just change it out.

also pay attention to the water pump turning direction

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Matt_50

Are there certain years to look for or avoid? And adding 4.3 to the search really helped out. I'm wondering if I'll have to drill and tap a hole or not... where should I look on mine?
Old 11-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
Matt_50

This thread looked helpful too.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...4.3+serpentine

If I have to drill a hole in block, I guess it isn't as scary as it sounds. All my searching gets a little confusing. I'm seeing ppl say, look for tpi setups or they say avoid it. Or some say avoid certain years or models andbthen I find where someone did anyway and it was fine.

Is there a year or model that makes sure I have plenty of clearance around inner fenders or do they all work just fine?

Is there a cut off year? 90s, 2000s?
Old 11-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
mr48chev

A couple of things to remember, almost all serpentine belt (if not all) systems that fit the SBC call for a reverse direction water pump. It doesn't reverse the direction the coolant flows though the engine it is just designed to turn backwards from the normal V belt driven pump. That calls for a reverse direction fan.

If you do the swap make sure you put down all the part numbers of what you use or exactly what it came off for future reference. Especially if you figure that you might sell the truck some day as folks will be very thankful for the info in the future. I've worked on some mix and match vehicles in the past and if you don't have that Info (I didn't) it takes a lot of sorting out to get it figured out.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
Matt_50

From what I have found it looks like I can have my a/c and alternator on either side depending on the kit. I've seen a few pictures... one bracket option is longer and one of the bolt holes is down by the fuel pump, one is in an existing hole on pass head and a third is drilled and tapped.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:34 PM   #9
dsraven

There are a few differences for sure. Vans are also a different set up with a p/s pump is that uses a remote reservoir. If you decide to grab a used set up, grab a complete set up. Alt, p/s pump, water pump, pulleys, brackets, bolts, idler and tensioner pulleys, the whole shebang. Belt included.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:36 PM   #10
Matt_50

Might be headed to Lubbock soon and they have a great Wrench n Pull if I can't find something locally.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:07 AM   #11
Matt_50

Came across this on the HAMB. Makes me feel a little better about the prospect of drilling a hole in my head. Ha!

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-heads.398842/
Old 11-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #12
Matt_50

I plan to add a vintage a/c kit to the truck. With that in mind should I look for certain years that uses a certain type of compressor?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #13
GreasyLikeaBurger

So I was in the same boat, bought a crate motor that had no drive accessories. Didnt want all the fancy billet or overpriced kits. I found a Chevrolet kit that is a direct fit for the motor I bought. Its all new or re-manufactured components.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19369257

You could also parts pull it, but since I was wanting in all new drivetrain, didnt want used parts.

IMG_3730 by Drew Bush, on Flickr

IMG_3731 by Drew Bush, on Flickr
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:04 PM   #14
1project2many

Actually, the shortest serpentine pump is from an 84-92 Corvette. But you will need new pullies and brackets to make that work.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/497...leys-brackets/
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:06 AM   #15
Matt_50

Greasylikeaburger that looks awesome! Did you have to drill and tap a hole in passenger head?

I've been searching quite a bit and thought I'd share some findings. Found this on here and took a screenshot.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #16
GreasyLikeaBurger

I didnt need to drill or tap anything. It might be due to my crate motor being newer(vortec heads). one or two the bolts were not right in the package, or didnt fit where the instructions stated they would. I will need to modify one support bracket to fit around the headers I have. But 99% is ready to go. Probably could run it the way it is.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:19 PM   #17
GreasyLikeaBurger

ps. I tried to piece together the kit off the parts list in the kit, and used parts alone of the interwebs well exceeded the price of the kit. I also bought mine from summit when they were having a coupon deal, and I price matched it off of another chevy dealer online that listed it lower. So I actually saved about $100 off list, free shipping and no tax.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:33 PM   #18
Matt_50

Yea, lol. I looked up a few of the parts just for kicks and it adds up. I'm keeping an eye out for a parts truck.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:24 AM   #19
mikebte

Just adding my experience. I put a serpentine system on my 283. Had power pack heads with no holes. I ended up using the heads and serpentine system off a parts truck. 93 GMC. I used water pump, harmonic balancer and all, moved over everything. Works great. It was also very cheap. You should be able to do this with most surpentine driven cars and trucks. I can get you more info if it helps. I was not a good enough person with a drill to drill my heads.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #20
65blackfleetside

Here is what I found out the hard way when modifying the serpentine system
On my LS3/ AD build i purchased aftermarket accessory brackets: Serpentine systems do not have much room for forgiveness when it comes to alignment like a V belt does. If a serp pulley (s) is out of alignment by just 40,000ths of an inch the belt will walk off. This is what happened to me. v belts are little more forgiving with this.

It took several different attempts to get the correct top mounted AC compressor and Power steering / Alternator brackets before they would clear the narrow inner fenders on this AD build. (I mounted my motor on the low side so it made it even more difficult) . Finally got the correct, beautifully made billet aluminum brackets installed. Everything looked awesome! I Did the first crank on motor. 5 min into run the serpentine belt peeled off like a banana peel. 25 % of the belt gone! I could not see this alignment issue with the naked eye? 75% of the belt was still there but you could see there was an obvious problem with the alternator and power steering not in line.

I contacted the bracket vender - He explained that the corvette power steering / Alternator bracket that I purchased from them 3 months ago had some R&D issues and they no longer make or sell that particular bracket. They immediately shipped a redesigned one.

After having a running truck , I had to then tear everything down , empty all fluids lines etc etc.
I do have to say that this vendor have been good with honoring their products. But the amount of extra work this has caused has ben a B*#$!!

Something else I would do differently: I would also mount this LS engine or any non stock engine 2-3" higher in the engine compartment. Low motors are great for center of gravity - terrible for fitting accessories on a motor with a narrow engine bay. Mounting the engine higher by just 2 " would have given me lots of more options on brackets. Including maybe even stock accessory brackets? Using the OEM brackets could have saved me $500 bucks
Also if there is a way to use a laser ruler and check the alignment before going any further on build- I would explore this too?
Old 11-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #21
54ChevyLs

I have a mostly complete setup off of a 2000 S10 4.3 for sale, it’s the same used on V8.

This isn’t the exact picture of what I have but it’s the same accessory style
Attached Images

54ChevyLs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #22
54ChevyLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ChevyLs View Post
I have a mostly complete setup off of a 2000 S10 4.3 for sale, it’s the same used on V8.

This isn’t the exact picture of what I have but it’s the same accessory style
Actually never mind, I thought I saw you were local to me, it’s too heavy to box up and ship. Either way that’s a nice setup that you can look for.
54ChevyLs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #23
Matt_50

I might've finally found a serpentine belt system. Well, at least one that they didn't want an arm and a leg for.

Out of a 97 c/k. I'll check it out in a day or two. But... I was looking at my head bolt holes. What you think? Here's a pic.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #24
Matt_50

I haven't had a chance to go look at it yet but the setup would look like 54ChevyLs's huh? With only one bolt hole in my passenger head... I need the setup that the bracket goes down and bolts down by the fuel pump.

Like in this picture.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #25
Matt_50

Further searching found that some heads cannot be safely drilled and tapped for a new accessory bolt hole. How can I tell if mine is ok?