The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
72 longhorn BB

How to put Sirius in a 98 burb?

I have the typical radio/ cassette head with the CD player in e the slot underneath.

I would like to put a clean OEM looking (or as closea as possible) satellite radio adapter in my truck.

Has anyone done such a thing yet, and can I get some opinions or equipment specs or pictures to see how it all looks and works together?

Thanks alot in advance.

1972 C-20 Longhorn
402 BB .030" over (409?), curved HEI,
RV cam, quadrajet, dual 3" exhaust, TH 400 ported w/shift kit

1999 K1500 Suburban (old style)
5.7L Vortec
4L60E

"No matter where you go, ........ there you are"

Last edited by 72 longhorn BB; 08-01-2006 at 09:14 PM.
72 longhorn BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:42 AM   #2
69-350
Oil trash and damn proud of it

Re: How to put Sirius in a 98 burb?

first off, I'd just like to mention how I've got my Sirius in my 97, I just got the red-screened, ~4"x6" JVC model, with the windshield suction cup mount, mounted directly below my rearview mirror, so it sits on the dash (while suction cupped to the window) and I ran my two cords into my dash bezel, which you probably know just pulls off/snaps on. Then I ran my cords under this dash bezel, to the side, and ran the power cord under the dash to the 12V plugin, and the other up underneath the A-pillar trim, so cords are all out of site for the most part.

One more thing, for those of you who want to keep the stock radio, but don't know how to put subs in there and get the amp to work, (trust me, a lot of people I've talked to didn't know how the hell my stock radio worked with my subs, before I took that stock radio out) when my brother installed his subs/amp in the 97 which is now mine, he bought an adapter which you can stick under the dash to hide. The remote/RVA cables and stuff hook into this, and it connects to the stock radio, if I remember right. I knocked all this stuff out and just stuck an Alpine in my 97.

Now, when you say a radio adapter in your truck, what exactly are you talking about? Is it something like the adapter I just talked about for my subs, except that you can just get a Sirius signal into (not a signal for the subs, mind you), and then feed it into your radio? (I think that's how some newer XM/Sirius-ready CD players work, they just get the signal and display the artist/songname through their displays, right?) or are you talking to get the entire reciever kit, with the Sirius display deal, like what I've got?

1997 K1500 Z71, 14 bolt SF 3.73 posi, Bright Blue Metallic. 6" Superlift
1972 C-10, toolbox, p/s, 350/TH350/3.73 open, black int., bronze
2008 Dodge MegaCab. H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins. Fast Four Tons

Some of my pics http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/69-350/
69-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
72 longhorn BB

Hey there - thanks for the reply.

Well, I was thinking that I could use the stock radio and somehow still set up a sirius radio system, and maybe put the display on top of the IP.

If there was a setup with a good display, I'd be interested in knowing about it.

On the other hand, maybe its time to take this radio out and find a replacement that gets Sirius, plays CD/AM/FM amd maybe gets navigation - all with a good display on the front. That way, I can use the hole that the stock radio goes in.

I have not really looked into radios for a couple years, and as fast as technology moves these days, I am at a loss to determine what is best to fit these requirements.

If there is a good website to visit, or some goog follow-up info from one of you Audio Savvy members, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

1972 C-20 Longhorn
402 BB .030" over (409?), curved HEI,
RV cam, quadrajet, dual 3" exhaust, TH 400 ported w/shift kit

1999 K1500 Suburban (old style)
5.7L Vortec
4L60E

"No matter where you go, ........ there you are"
72 longhorn BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:32 PM   #4
69-350
Oil trash and damn proud of it

try Crutchfield. Otherwise, if you're just looking for a good stereo (without navigation or anything) to stick in there, it's really easy. I bought the Alpine I've got for 200 bucks, and I love it. It's the CDE-9852 model, (CD text, MP3/WMA decoder, made for an iPod, blue illumination which is bright and very nice, bass engine, 1 pre-amp output w/ subwoofer level control, can take a wireless remote) 16Wx4, anyways, it's a great CD player for the price (only 200 bucks!) and was very easy to install. I just had to buy a deal to hold the CD player into the large stock-radio space, a wiring harnass which plugged directly into the old radio's harnass, splice the wires from the new harnass adapter into the CD player's harnass, and a radio cord-adapter (for some reason, Chevy's radio antenna cord's have a different plug in type than regular ones) and stuck it in. I think altogether it was a $250 jobber.

As for the JVC model, I used http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?pa...tId=PRD6000000 (KT-PK3000) for my Sirius, a very nice setup, easy to use, small enough so that it doesn't block your view wherever you put it (like some satellite radio units I've seen) and is fairly priced. 300 bucks for the unit and year's subscription is what I payed (I think overall I have about a grand worth of music-listening gear in my truck right now)

Now, what I think aftermarket XM/Sirius-ready CD head units use is this http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...thId=86&page=1 to get XM/Sirius into the headunits.

As for navigation, I can't really help you there. Maybe somebody else can, or maybe you can find something on Crutchfield's website.

1997 K1500 Z71, 14 bolt SF 3.73 posi, Bright Blue Metallic. 6" Superlift
1972 C-10, toolbox, p/s, 350/TH350/3.73 open, black int., bronze
2008 Dodge MegaCab. H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins. Fast Four Tons

Some of my pics http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/69-350/
69-350 is offline   Reply With Quote