The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
presleyhome

58 Apache. Want 283 instead of 235

Hey all. I have a 58 Apache with a very tired 235. I would like to install a 283 instead. Does anyone have any links etc. that show the steps someone else took to do this? Just what to look out for, what bolts right in etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

jim P
presleyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 58 Apache. Want 283 instead of 235

I'm not sure of all the parts you need but I know you will need front motor mount brackets, bell housing, carb linkage from the pedal to the carb, soleniod type starter, transmission, radiator, and of course the engine complete carb to pan. Finding a useable 283 will be harder than installing it.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
luvmy56

Hello to All, I'm a newby, which by btw is a little tough for a 59 year old to say. Anyway here goes, presleyhome is venturing into the same territory I have been lost in for approx. 2-3 months now. I am in the process of trying to line up all the parts needed for the 235 stock setup conversion to a sbc. 1st timer at this.
presleyhome, I feel your pain brother, I have been all over the place trying to get straight answers to the very question you have asked. Right now I am hung up on the right bell housing. I've been told to use a stock side mount 58-62 V8 truck, a high dollar 621, 444, tri-5 passenger car, as well as some others I can't even think about right now. I know this conversion has been done a gazillion times but I guess no one wrote any of it down, must be easy huh?
So, bottom line is, if anybody out there can help my new found friend presleyhome, and me out, please feel free to do so. I hope I am not "kidnapping this thread" I just need the same info. as presleyhome. I'm about ready to just leave her stock and forget it. - presleyhome, Good Luck Friend!!!!!!! P.S. I do luv reading all the info. contained here!!! - Thanks

Last edited by luvmy56; 10-10-2006 at 05:21 PM.
luvmy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
larry may

If your 58 is standard shift that 235 bell may bolt to a 283 . am fairly sure on that. If so this would at least get the engine under the hood between the frame. Figure out what you need from there. my.02% Good Luck,

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

the 6 cyl in that year didn't have the flared back side to bolt up to a v8 bell. that started in 62. You could go with a later SBC that has side mounts with a later model bell and trans. You would then need the conversion kit with two cross members, one for the engine mounts and one for the trans mount . Eliminate the exsiting trans mount all together. Brothers sell those. if you go with a 55 - 59 283 it makes it harder to find the proper parts but the conversion is easier to do.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
larry may

Smile Re: 58 Apache. Want 283 instead of 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
I'm not sure of all the parts you need but I know you will need front motor mount brackets, bell housing, carb linkage from the pedal to the carb, soleniod type starter, transmission, radiator, and of course the engine complete carb to pan. Finding a useable 283 will be harder than installing it.
Got to thinking about this . I have a 283 block number3896948 1967? TO623GF. Number on transmission is two of them S92564t- the other number on the case is 3860042 gm8. This set up has a bell that has mounts on it . There is antifreeze in the engine and it turned over by the starter. Everything is present from fan to tranie. .also the engine has side mounts and has holes for front mounts. Not sure the transmission has the rear mount will have to go look . I was planning on using this in a sci - fi adventure. Things change.

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote