The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
norville

your opinion please 59 apache

Hello folks,

I'm looking for some input on a 59 big window apache I looked at today. It will be a daily driver.

Pics are atached and I can get it for $4k. Late model 350 with ramhorns. Auto th350 with less than 500 miles It was recently inspected and was driven daily till about a year ago.

It was a partial restoration. Paint is OK and pics show the issues. The center of the dash is hacked up with a CD player and some guages(I don't mind this). It's still has the drums up front, but it started right up and the engine sounded clean.

The bed metal was perfect, the wood was good but sun faded. The engine bay had aluminum wells and radiator support????

I couldn't see anything else really wrong with it.

thoughts???

bob
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
texascowboy593

Re: your opinion please 59 apache

Being as mine was $3400 and in pieces but a good foundation...I say go for it. I would buy it for 4k...
2014 Dodge Durango (Wife-mobile)
2008 Dodge Ram Lone Star Edition (Daily driver)
texascowboy593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I'd agree. the days of the $1500 truck are coming to an end. You can still get them but they are few. I've never seen any with aluminum inner fenders and rad support
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:18 AM   #4
norville

I agree, I really want this. The short story the guy died the neighbor is selling it for the family. The neighbor has a green 63 sweet.

However, I have to look at a 58 dodge d100 power giant today. That's only $2500 firm. Nice old couple. I'm hoping from his conversation that it's a newer drivetrain with a 4 spd. And the steering box needs a rebuild.

I'm torn I like the idea of chevy parts. The dodge is equally good looking and cheaper and cleaner, but aftermarket parts are nearly non-exsistant. The biggest hurtle is the drum brakes. I've dealt with drum fade won't do it again.

That tranny situation is my biggest hurtle. I really wanted a stick. One of the reasons I got rid of the 87.

When I get the money from my 87 I'll have about $5K both trucks are road ready. I'll post some pics of the dodge later.

I was supposed to wait till spring?!?!!!

bob
Old 09-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #5
norville

Here's the dodge. Body wise about the same he did the "satin" black to hid the body work but solid bed no rust I could find.

bob
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
Jebb1978

Go ahead and shoot me guys, I vote for the Dodge. The Chevy is nice but looks a bit rusty to me. Even though the parts are harder to find for the Dodge it doesn't appear you need any. It looks pretty clean from what I can see. The best part is it's even cheaper!
Old 09-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
texascowboy593

Its a cool Dodge, but as you said... It will be difficult to find parts for it. Its just a matter of what suits you, which one "feels" more reliable to be a daily driver etc. My .02 is for the 59 Apache but I'm a bit biased...
2014 Dodge Durango (Wife-mobile)
2008 Dodge Ram Lone Star Edition (Daily driver)
texascowboy593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #8
norville

Thanks for the input guy's

I's really torn. Both have perfect beds (that alone is an oddity)

The dodge is hiding a few skeletons in that front but it is very solid.

The chevy has a lot more flach that for sure. The dodge is more truck. Also the dodge has a zero rate up front and a 2 " block in the rear. Except for the play in the steering wheel it has new shock and rear brakes.

I can buy the dodge right now, it has the gas tank under the cab and is a stick.

The chevy new auto tranny lots o-chrome. It's a chevy parts are plenty.

thanks again

bob
Old 09-15-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
norville

Any other thought? on this I tried $3500 cash for the chevy no go. And honestly $4000 won't fly either. Best I was able to work out was $3900 and I'd get painted bumpers Which is where I'm at now.

I'm going to look again at it tomorrow. Any input on what to look for I know body mounts and front end.

Is this a deal I should not pass up???

Is the dodge a pass on it . I found quite a bit of info but it was'nt easy part are out there cause not to many people are restoring them, but slim pickin's

thanks

bob
Old 09-15-2006, 08:52 PM   #10
msgross

I've got a buddy here in Lebanon that paid $5k + shipping for a similar Apache. His might be a little ahead of yours but it has been remodeled a little (not always a good thing though)....
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:29 PM   #11
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I would go with the dodge its more unique and done right would be a real head turner. Parts wise I don't think it would be as difficult as you might thing to get them. As for disc brakes contact
http://www.braketechsolutions.com/BTSV101/
they can make brakes for just about anything
Old 09-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #12
CAL 58 GMC

From your photo's the Dodge looks to be a more soild truck. But there's a reason the Chevy cost more and that's becuase more poeple want them. So when you dump $5,000 to $20,000 into it depending on how far you want to go and at the end when you want to sell it....it's still a Dodge and the re-sale values not there. My concern would be just how much rust is really on the Chevy? Check the inside lower cab corners, the door hinge pockets and floor boards. And you still have a third option, try to find a more solid Chevy if that one has to much rust.

Good luck and keep us all posted!!
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #13
norville

Well as of right now I passed on both. I went and looked at the chevy without my rose colored glasses. It's just not there for the price.

I'm still deciding on the dodge, I wish it was a 60.

thanks all,
bob

Last edited by norville; 09-16-2006 at 01:18 PM.
norville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:13 AM   #14
norville

Well, As I went down the list of thisngs to look at again. The door pockets 3 good one icky. And that whole side quarter to door needs work. On both doors. I found more body filler than I liked. The cab corners were busting though. All the door seals and window seals were trashed. One of the bed boards is busted. The dash is hacked. And lost of spots were paint is peeling and ther is surface rust inderneath. The doors do not fit well thay rub up fron anf stick out in the back. Exhaust has a hole in it and exits in fron of the rear.

Some positives: Power steering with tilt colulmn it was a standard in it's past life. The chrome is still good. It has a 12 bolt rear. The floor is great except where the shifter went though it. Perfect frame, solid workable bed.

Things that I'd want/need done to be a driver. Move gas tank - disc and master cylinder upgrades $2000 maybe. Full exhaust. Then I'd drive it. I'd still need body and paint work That I'd do myself.

Am I asking to much for a 50yr old car and $5000 My thought on this chevy was I could do much better for a few more dollars. Had the brakes been updated or still a standard I'd have probably taken it. If I droped $2-3 grand in it I'd still only be worth $4K.

thanks
bob
Attached Images

Last edited by norville; 09-17-2006 at 08:07 AM.
norville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:10 AM   #15
norville

More pics and another shot of the dodge I'm looking at and the one the gut owns.

bob
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #16
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

$2000 might fix your door and fender problem. The more pics you post the more I see a $2500 - $3000 truck. Providing the coversions they did don't have to be redone. THEN you add 2k for brakes and other driving upgrades.
Unless they come down significantly in price I'd pass on this one they hid a lot under bondo. The dodges are in far better shape for less money.

The main thing I see is the doors not fitting which means pillar pockets and possibly steps and door skins and cab corners. The parts are about $300 per side if you do it all. then labor if you can't do it, $800 - $1200, providing the rest of the cab is in good shape.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:19 PM   #17
norville

dwcsr, Thank you again for all the input. I still feel confident on my original offer of $3500. Which was denied. I will pass on this one. Just a sanity check on wether I'm expecting to much. $5-6K seems to the range for a nice upgraded driver. I'll wait, save my money and get something nice. I still plan to check out that dodge again. If all is good I'll go that route. Much better body and driveline. All I can tell from the dodge is needs some interior work, brake upgade and possibly a steering box(I think I'd try to convet to power while I'm ate it.)

thank again, This is one of the reasons I liked the chevy ---- nice community.

bob