The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #51
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Re: Brent's '72 Custom/10 SWB stepside build

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoyz View Post
Man you sure got a Lot done Today, Your Son did a Great Job with the Blaster. You Made some memories with him today that will be Priceless as Time goes on..........

Great Job & Look Forward to watching more of your Father & Son Exploits on the Build.

Rick
Thanks! My younger two are spending a couple weeks visiting their mom and so this has been a great chance for Tristan and me to do some more bonding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
holy cow...brave kid blasting with a T-shirt on. I'm a wuss cause I hated blasting my frame with coveralls, gloves, hood, mask...

looks like that blaster of yours works pretty well... you have a large compressor?
Currently at 10 PM here it's still 78° and 89% humidity. Even long sleeves woulda killed us in today's heat working in direct sun. LOL! He didn't stick with the blasting for long -- said it felt like his hands were asleep with the tingling from the media ricochet. Didn't want him to do it for long, just long enough that he could see visible progress and know that he had done something.

My compressor is a 5HP 60-gallon single-stage. Can't remember the specs for CFM but I wanna say low-mid teens at 90PSI and a max pressure of 155PSI. Good unit for the price and I bought it specifically with media blasting in mind, so I've been pleased with the results. On the other hand, I'm tremendously disappointed with the crappy pressurized blasting tank setup -- terribly cheap nozzle that barely works. Ended up switching over to the Dee Blast siphon setup I bought this spring. Only bought it for the gun and eventually I'm hoping to convert this pressurized tank into a PA Blaster-type of setup instead.

Attached is a pic of what my arms looked like after blasting for awhile in a t-shirt.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)

Last edited by brossow; 08-03-2008 at 11:10 PM.
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #52
msgross

I used the Harbor Freight pressurized tank and had to buy new valves after about 10 minutes...

The Clark setup at TSC had a better trigger gun that would have worked better. All I know is that I will never blast outside a cabinet again...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #53
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Tired of media going everywhere, I now have one of these being delivered this afternoon:

Got it used for less than half the price of new. 24x48 inside should handle anything I want to blast except the frame itself. Progress pics later today, I hope.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #54
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

nice to see your kids workng on it with you.. cant beat the memories from that... good score on the new cab...
Old 08-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #55
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Congrat's on the Blaster, Look's like a Good One...................

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #56
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Blasting cabinet arrived late this afternoon and I was so busy putting it into action that I forgot to take a picture. That's it hiding under the tarp in this nighttime pic. Thank goodness there's no rain in the forecast for the next week, 'cause I didn't have the energy to clear room for it in the garage tonight. Anyway, it's not in brand-new condition but not trash, either. Missing the latches to keep it closed, but those are easily replaced. Disappointed with how VERY crappy the stand is, but it's apparently good enough to do its job so I'll shut up about that, too. One really great thing about the deal is that it came with a brand-new Dee Blast gun, same exact setup I bought earlier this year from Sears for around $70. Nice!

Went right to work blasting some parts. Attached is a pic of a few of them. One of the door latches was run quickly through the wire brush machine (fine) just for fun after blasting with Black Diamond slag. Really pleased with the results so far. That cabinet is gonna be money VERY well spent!

You may also notice the CPP box the stuff is sitting on. Got my front and rear swaybars and front end kit from Classic Performance today, courtesy of Brown Santa.
Attached Images

Last edited by brossow; 08-05-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #57
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

New drop spindles showed up today. Got a great price on 'em on eBay because they were covered in surface rust. An hour or so in my newly acquired blast cabinet and they were good as new. I figure the money I saved paid for half the cabinet.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2008, 12:17 AM   #58
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Been spending most of the past few days happily blasting away in my new cabinet. I suppose the fun will wear off after awhile, but not yet!

Had a couple vacation days Tues-Wed this week and worked short days Thurs-Fri so I got more done than usual. Probably the biggest (or most significant) progress so far has been my settling on a drivetrain. For several years I've had an LS1 and T56 from a '99 Z28 waiting in the wings, originally earmarked for my '64 project. However, I've pretty much decided that the engine at least is going in the '72 instead. Today I picked up a 4L60E with 5K miles on a professional rebuild for little more than the cost of a core. It also included a Derale pan and Energy Suspension mount. Score! Now I have to figure out the computer situation since the computer I have is for the 6-speed, but I'll head over to LS1Tech for that discussion.

Here's a pic just to show off a bit. :-)
Attached Images

Last edited by brossow; 08-09-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #59
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Again Congrat's on the Purchase of the Blaster,With that Blaster you might want to Think about Buying one of those Powdercoat Setup's & Doing up some of your Build Part's, Heck if you get good at it you may even be able to make a few extra Buck's Powdercoating parts & Selling them off to Some of us Here................

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
Old 08-09-2008, 01:08 AM   #60
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossow View Post
Been spending most of the past few days happily blasting away in my new cabinet. I suppose the fun will wear off after awhile, but not yet!

Had a couple vacation days Tues-Wed this week and worked short days Thurs-Fri so I got more done than usual. Probably the biggest (or most significant) progress so far has been my settling on a drivetrain. For several years I've had an LS1 and T56 from a '99 Z28 waiting in the wings, originally earmarked for my '64 project. However, I've pretty much decided that the engine at least is going in the '72 instead. Today I picked up a 4L60E with 5K miles on a professional rebuild for little more than the cost of a core. It also included a Derale pan and Energy Suspension mount. Score! Now I have to figure out the computer situation since the computer I have is for the 6-speed, but I'll head over to LS1Tech for that discussion.

Here's a pic just to show off a bit. :-)
I think you just have to repin the computer a little, and reflash the computer. The toughest part may be finding the transmission connector. Another option would be to swap harnesses with someone who wants a six speed. I'm sure you'll find your answer on LS1tech.

I see your camaro in the background...nice. I've had 3 LS1 Trans Ams/Formula and now a corvette, plus my 5.3L crewcab; and now my 68 that I have a 5.3L sitting in it now, but I have a LS6 block that needs rebuilt on the engine stand (guy I bought it from bent a connecting rod!). I couldn't pass up $165 for an LS6 block/crank

Last edited by Ackattack; 08-09-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:29 AM   #61
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoyz View Post
Again Congrat's on the Purchase of the Blaster,With that Blaster you might want to Think about Buying one of those Powdercoat Setup's & Doing up some of your Build Part's, Heck if you get good at it you may even be able to make a few extra Buck's Powdercoating parts & Selling them off to Some of us Here................

Rick
Good idea ... as long as I don't end up having to re-register as a vendor and lose money every month for the privilege of helping out a few guys. Could be a good winter hobby ... or middle-of-the-night hobby, like now when I can't sleep. Been up since 3:30 AM. Yikes.

EDIT: Just ordered a powder coating kit from Eastwood. Their kits are on sale through today (or technically yesterday, but the prices are apparently still good) and it seemed like a good idea on 3 hours' sleep.

Last edited by brossow; 08-09-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #62
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Good Luck with the new Adventure, I don't think you would have to worry about vendor fee's unless you were to turn into a Full fledge business. I Bought a Kit a while back & Found i could'nt use it after reading the instruction's with it , I have a stimulator Medical Implant in my Back for Pain & The Instruction's recommend not using the Gun if you have any kind of Medical implants...................

I also Have the same Problem you mentioned of not sleeping regular, Well anyhow I'm Sure you will find a Lot of Use for the Kit & I will Look forward to being one of your 1st Customer's of any excess item's you may end up with...........

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
Old 08-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #63
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossow View Post
Today I picked up a 4L60E with 5K miles on a professional rebuild for little more than the cost of a core. It also included a Derale pan and Energy Suspension mount. Score!
Now I want to cry. Just learned that the bolt pattern on this tranny doesn't match my LS1. This tranny's from a '96 Camaro with a 3.8L V6.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:06 PM   #64
bryanschevyparts

LOOKIN GOOD Brent, give me a call i just might have a few parts for your build.thanks
bryanschevyparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #65
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Made a little more progress today. Got the frame as absolutely stripped down as I can comfortably get it. Only things left riveted in place are the front and rear crossmembers. (Don't want to remove those and risk permanently fudging up the geometry.) Have a pile of brackets waiting their turn in the blasting cabinet.

Pics are below. Also included a fun pic showing how I make it through the heat.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #66
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Was just researching rust removal (actually trying to Google for a local company to finish up the media blasting on my frame so I can use the time for working on other aspects of the project) when I came across this thread on a VW forum:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothrea...51230#44451230

I may give it a try this weekend (or sooner) as it looks like a lot less labor- and time-intensive than media blasting, not to mention a lot less cleanup. I'm all about saving time, especially with Minnesota winter on the distant but foreseeable horizon....

Last edited by brossow; 08-11-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #67
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Scratch that last. Talked with a sandblasting company in New Ulm (about 30 miles from here) that normally does trailers, semis, etc. and they'll do the frame for me. Their rate is $80/hr but they thought with it as stripped down as it is that it would only take an hour or so. I'd have that much tied up in blasting media alone! That's not to mention the hours and hours I'd have involved in doing it myself, nor the mess involved, nor the cost of electricity, nor the wear and tear on my equipment (and body!). Seems like a no-brainer to me. If they do a good job with the frame, I'll see if they have any non-destructive media they could use to clean my "new" cab and other sheetmetal. Don't know if they get into that type of stuff, but maybe they'd have a recommendation on someone who does.

Hate to seem lazy all of a sudden after all of the work I've put into this, but my time is worth something and with winter approaching I really want a painted rolling chassis before I have to pack it up for the winter.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #68
msgross

I totally agree with sending the frame out.... I used the same type of company for my springs, cross members, axles, rad support and other small parts. Only cost me $250... I wish I had them do my frame too. Had it back in two days and it was very clean....

Old 08-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #69
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Now that you mention it, I might throw my small parts (various frame brackets, one surviving crossmember) in as well -- if they can do them in a few minutes additional it'd probably be worth paying them for it as long as I'm writing the check.

EDIT: Just hit a "minor" snag -- how to fit 15' of frame into a 6' pickup bed. Only truck I have available to borrow is my dad's shortbed S-10 with a topper. Not sure of the wisdom of driving 30 miles each way with something hanging 9' out the back, more out than in. Clearly didn't think this plan through. Dang....

Last edited by brossow; 08-12-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #70
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Smile Re: Brent's '72 Custom/10 SWB stepside build

Well, the frame is now in the hands of the professionals. Here's a pic of it loaded up and ready to go. More out than in, but it traveled the 30 miles without the slightest problem. Should be ready for me Monday, I hope. Left a crossmember and most of the frame brackets with them as well -- figured they could do in minutes what it would take me hours to accomplish.

Last night I had a "new" stove delivered for the powdercoating experiment. Realized as I unloaded it in the dark that I'm gonna have to run another 220V circuit for the stove. I'm thinking about splitting it off of the existing circuit for the air compressor with some sort of "either/or" switch so both can't run at once. Right now it'd beat the heck out of having to run another circuit; the first one was a major pain.
Attached Images

Last edited by brossow; 08-12-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #71
Ackattack

The problem with running only one of the two (air compressor or oven) is to powdercoat you really need both.

I would run a seperate circuit for the oven.

For my powder coating setup I have my oven and welder on the same circuit, and just don't use both at the same time. I also removed all of the burners and related components, so it can't draw 50 amps. So my wiring is smaller (aka cheaper), plus I can't accidently turn on a burner and burn myself or catch somthing on fire.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #72
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

I recognize that limitation, but from my reading the air usage is minimal and with my 60-gallon tank I'd think I could pump it up to the 155psi limit, turn it off, and have enough in reserve to do enough parts to fill the oven. The info for the Eastwood kit I ordered said you could even do it from a captive air tank. I know running a new circuit is the right answer, but I think splitting the existing one is at least worth a try given the hours of labor it took to run the first one. (Detached garage, etc. -- if it was attached I'd be running the new circuit right now instead of typing this.) At worst I'll find out it doesn't work and have to run a new circuit after all.

I really do appreciate the feedback -- please don't think I'm simply dismissing the input!

Last edited by brossow; 08-12-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #73
msgross

How long does it take to warm up to 400 degrees? can't you coat, heat up the oven then bake? Or does it have to go in right away...

My kitchen oven only takes 5-7 minutes to warm up...so the wife tells me

just kidding, don't tell her I said that!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #74
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
How long does it take to warm up to 400 degrees? can't you coat, heat up the oven then bake? Or does it have to go in right away...
No idea -- once it arrives, I plan to actually read the instructions cover to cover, something I rarely do.

Talked to my dad tonight and we may just suck it up and run wire for a new panel in the garage. Gonna cost a fortune for the 6ga copper but probably worth it in the long run. Then I can add new circuits at will without running new wire from the house. Not looking forward to the actual task of running the line -- the 12ga for the compressor was bad enough -- but should be at least tolerable since there will be significant benefits and I'll get to spend time with Dad.

Last edited by brossow; 08-19-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:28 AM   #75
Ackattack

I initially heat my oven up to 500. It takes about 15 min to get it there. Meanwhile I "spray" the powder. Once it's up to 500, I throw the part in, close the door and immediatly turn it down to 450....it looses 50 degrees in those ~15 seconds it takes to put the part in there. Then I bake at 450 for 5 min. to let the powder "flow" out. Then I open the door again, and turn the temp down to 400 for another 20 min.

The reason I like to have air available while using the oven is I also use high pressure air to clean up the gun once I'm done using it. So, no, you don't have to have a big supply of air, but it's nice. Sounds like it will be a big pain for you to get air though.