The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2008, 05:36 PM   #101
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Re: Brent's '72 Custom/10 SWB stepside build

Today I got the frame completely patched and partially painted. You can kinda tell in the first picture (with Dad getting ready to weld) how nice a job I did on the patch, if I do say so myself. It really was perfect. The second one left a bit to be desired (cut the frame on that side with a reciprocating saw instead of the cutoff wheel I used on the driver's side and it went a bit wild on the long cut) but Dad did a great job covering up my carelessness.

No one will ever look at the frame and think that it had never been repaired, but no one's ever gonna look at the frame, period, and if they do then so what? Didn't even bother grinding down the welds on the inside of the frame and didn't go for perfection on the outside, either. It's good enough and a helluva lot better than the rusted-out sections that were there just 24 hours ago.

Before the patches were welded in, I took advantage of having Dad's drill press handy and carefully made holes to match the existing ones in the sections that were removed (third picture). A LOT easier with the drill press than trying to do them with a handheld drill later. Turned out perfect.

Used a can and a half of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator (rattle cans) to cover the bottom, sides, and inside of the frame. I'll finish up the other side tomorrow when I go out there and then go over the whole thing with a heavier coat of the brushable RE I have. Just wanted to get something on it right away to stop any new rust from starting and the rattle cans were quickest and cleanest.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:37 PM   #102
msgross

that's a lot of steel to cut out, I would suggest plating the inside to overlap it and make it stronger. Similar to what guys do that shorten frames. Can't be to cautious when it's your frame.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:42 PM   #103
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
that's a lot of steel to cut out, I would suggest plating the inside to overlap it and make it stronger. Similar to what guys do that shorten frames. Can't be to cautious when it's your frame.
Already thought about that and am going back out tomorrow with my CPP crossmember to check for clearance issues before adding any metal to the inside. Just didn't mention that part.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:54 PM   #104
msgross

Nice that you have enough welding helmets for your crew!

that's funny...

Old 09-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #105
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Got the frame home today. Finished painting* the top and insides and touch-up on the rest. Didn't test-fit the CPP crossmember yet but have been thinking about doing a bolt-on type of "subframe connector" spanning the old and new along the bottom, using the two crossmember bolts plus at least one bolt at each end through the original frame.

Also painted one of the other crossmembers. Not a terribly productive day, but not a complete loss either.

Now I have to start figuring out what size and how many Grade 8 bolts I need to start putting everything back together. Not quite ready for that, but soon!

* NOTE: When I say "finished painting" I'm talking about Rust Encapsulator as a base coat. A generous helping of Chassis Black will follow soon.
Attached Images

Last edited by brossow; 09-01-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #106
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
Nice that you have enough welding helmets for your crew!

that's funny...
That's my dad for ya -- spares of everything!

Old 09-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #107
msgross

I think I used Tractor Supply grade 8 3/8" maybe??? And I needed a lot of them. I used a slightly smaller washer to fit snug though. Also you lock washers but wish I had ordered nyloc nuts instead. A box of 100 should do. Double check that size but TSC was the cheapest for bulk nuts and bolts. Just fill up the bag and head to the cheackout. I'd start with 75 of everything.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #108
bryanschevyparts

Brent, now that you have your garage ruffed in , you will need a good drywaller to take it to the next level ,shameless plug. you should see some of the garages i have done they are nicer than most peoples homes
bryanschevyparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #109
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanschevyparts View Post
Brent, now that you have your garage ruffed in , you will need a good drywaller to take it to the next level ,shameless plug. you should see some of the garages i have done they are nicer than most peoples homes
LOL! This garage is SO temporary! It's 18x18 on the OUTSIDE, built circa 1920 when a Model T was the biggest thing anyone would need to park inside. Getting a new garage built is a long-term priority for me -- left behind a beautiful garage that my dad and I built when I moved back to Minnesota from Wisconsin and every day I climb over piles of stuff here it's a painful reminder of that garage. Oy.

If I ever get that new garage built, I'll keep you in mind! In the meantime, I still wanna get that core support from you if you're heading this direction or vice versa.....

Old 09-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #110
MisterE72
Keep Your Nose Clean

Brent, your truck is coming along nicely. Good to see kids and dad included in the build. Those are the memories we grow to treasure. Keep up the good work
MisterE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #111
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Work has finally started going the other direction! Instead of taking things apart, it's going back together. Probably doesn't look like a lot of progress, but school started again last Thursday and with three kids it's been tough finding moments here and there to work. No more making supper at 8 PM because it doesn't matter how late they stay up, for instance.

Anyway, you can see from the pics what I've accomplished. Have the CPP drop crossmember installed as well as the factory crossmember to the rear of it. Spring perches and bed mounts are bolted back on along with e-brake cable brackets. (I really need to find the rear brake line bracket in my mess of a garage so I can get that bolted on!)

Started installing the custom rear leaf springs but ran into an issue because the front bushing was too wide by at least 1/4", so I had to get out the grinder and surgically reduce it. By the time I got it to the right size, however, it was starting to sprinkle again and I had to pack up. (Had rain much of the weekend.) I'm using CPP's 1-2" drop shackles and am going to start out with the 2" hole and see where things end up -- between the new springs, the shackles, and loaded weight on the frame I really won't know until next year exactly what's going on.

I'll also point out that I'm not going for a show-quality finish on the frame -- just something that looks nice and isn't going to rust immediately. There's obviously some rust pitting in places, not to mention the patched areas. But overall I still think it looks pretty nice. Anyway, really glad to be making visible progress in the right direction.
Attached Images

Last edited by brossow; 09-08-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #112
bryanschevyparts

Brent ,i also have a complete 5-bolt front set up thats clean and panted ,if you need ?just bolt it on .
bryanschevyparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #113
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanschevyparts View Post
Brent ,i also have a complete 5-bolt front set up thats clean and panted ,if you need ?just bolt it on .
I don't need the A-arms, spindles, or steering stuff, but if you're willing to sell just the crossmember by itself let me know. I understand if you don't want to split it up. I'll be using CPP tubular arms and drop spindles and already have all of the steering parts, but there was a lot of thick rust on the crossmember when I took it off. Not sure if it was from the crossmember itself or elsewhere (wasn't the frame) and haven't bothered to look at it yet. (I've been avoiding it, truth be told.) Shoot me a PM or give me a call.

Last edited by brossow; 09-08-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #114
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Went back out after supper and finished up the springs. Still need to remove the shipping labels and tape and maybe do some touch-up painting, but for the most part they're ready to go. My thought for the night: thank God for impact wrenches!

It's just now occurring to me that I really wish I had measured the frame height when I first got the truck for comparison purposes. But at the time I was taking stuff apart, I really did think it was just gonna be a quick brake job.
Attached Images

Last edited by brossow; 09-08-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #115
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Last night I got Ol' Blue back on its (back) feet for the first time in a year. Haven't tightened up the U-bolts except finger-tight, but it sure felt good to have the jack stands and makeshift dolly removed. There's a LONG way yet to go, but it's progress!

On the down side, I discovered last night that the e-brake cables I got from LMC truck (and yes, I got the right part number) are far too short. Thought maybe I had installed the brackets backward, but that's not the case. Didn't get a chance to call them today but I'm not optimistic about being able to return them -- I tossed the packaging long ago and they were originally purchased in August 2007, way beyond their 180-day return period. I'll call anyway, but I could be out quite a bit of money that I really can't spare at the moment. Whatever the case, I'll be placing an order with Inline Tube when funds allow.

Tonight I finally started seriously hacking up the old cab so I can fit it in the trailer to go to the scrap yard. I did save the roof in case anyone is interested in it (it's darn near perfect with only a couple spots of surface rust and ZERO rot) but it too will be on the trailer when the time comes, hopefully this weekend. If you need a perfect roof, let me know ASAP.

Next order of business is blasting and painting the cab mount brackets I purchased off this board recently. Two of mine were really good as I recall and are already ready for paint, so I'll probably just need to do two -- an easy evening's work even with daylight rapidly decreasing.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2008, 01:22 AM   #116
msgross

If anything I would keep the dash around. Never know when someone needs one and you could make an easy $40 or $50 bucks...

Old 09-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #117
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Wish I had room to store parts, even something like the dash that really wouldn't seem to take up much space, but I've got nowhere to put it and am starting to panic about winter coming. Crops are turning brown and the Canada geese are gathering to head south. Time to start wrapping things up and packing things up.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:02 AM   #118
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Time for another update....

Got the rear shock mounts almost ready to reinstall today. Had to locate new studs because one of the originals was trashed and ended up replacing both for the sake of uniformity -- found exactly what I needed at NAPA. Cut the old ones off with a reciprocating saw, used a grinder to smooth them out, then blasted, primed, and painted. Need to pick up a couple larger lock washers and they'll be ready to bolt on tomorrow night.

Also finished painting all of the remaining mount brackets (cab and radiator) and they'll be ready to bolt on tomorrow night as well.

Waiting for CPP to send me a return tag so I can send back the rear sway bar kit they sent me at the end of July -- discovered last week that they sent the kit for coil springs instead of leaf. Also waiting for them to ship me a new pair of tubular lower A-arms. The ones I bought for my other truck projects (set up for air bags) were shipped back on the 16th and the new ones will be sent as soon as the old ones arrive in California.

Also waiting for a complete front-end setup to be delivered -- crossmember and other suspension/steering stuff. Supposed to be painted and ready to install, though I'm going to be disassembling it and using the CPP tubular upper/lower A-arms and drop spindles. Need to get my garage cleaned out and the "new" oven hooked up so I can get the spindles powdercoated and ready to install! I need about a month off work....

In the meantime, I can start fitting the under-bed gas tank in between other tasks.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #119
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Hauled the remains of the old cab to the salvage yard today. Decided to hold onto the dash despite not really having room to do so, but the rest is gone. Took a pic with my camera phone of the load but it disappeared, so all I have is a single pic of the doomed roof.

Got the remaining support brackets (cab and radiator) bolted on last night and will post pics later. Gonna take a look at the CPP fuel tank next. Wanted to do the front suspension stuff but now the parts aren't going to be here until Monday. Only a handful of weekends left before snow and this one is perfect except for the lack of parts.
Attached Images

Last edited by brossow; 09-20-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #120
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Moved the frame this morning to make room for the trailer to clear out the old cab remnants. Made a whopping $24 on that sale. Sheesh. Between the saw blades and electricity I used to section it up and the cost of gas for two round trips to get the truck and trailer, come home and load up, turn around and go back to the scrap yard, and then come home again, I'll be lucky if I broke even on the deal. But at least the stuff is gone!

Started installing the CPP aluminum gas tank this afternoon. So far it's been the hardest part of the whole project, believe it or not. Despite careful marking and drilling and test-fitting, I can't quite get all the holes to line up for the actual installation. I've got one bolt remaining that's giving me problems. Worst part right now is that one of the nuts on the backing strip provided with the kit got cross-threaded and I don't have a tap to chase the threads. Have to do that when I'm out at my folks' place tomorrow morning. Worked on it until well past dark and finally had to give up. Smashed the hell out of my pinky in the process, too -- 3/8" drill bit hung up in the metal but that Milwaukee drill just kept right on going, oblivious to the fact that my pinky was between it and the tank. It'll heal but it's swollen and red, but thankfully not broken.

Also started installing the CPP front shock absorber reinforcing brackets. (Can you tell where I like to shop for parts? ) The angle on them isn't quite right and so I'm going to have to force them into shape. One's already done, using an impact wrench and a Grade 8 bolt to cinch it down and flatten the angle slightly. Other side will be easy. Nice thing is that I'll be able to use an existing hole in the frame for the top bolt on each side.

That's all for today. Have to work a bit tomorrow morning inspecting food stands at the annual fall car show / swap meet. I usually take advantage of my free admission as a health inspector to spend a few hours checking out the vendors, but this year I just wanna get home and keep working. Can't imagine there'll be anything there I can't live without for the time being. I'll be sorry....
Attached Images

Last edited by brossow; 09-20-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #121
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Not a lot of visible progress today, but some. Got the gas tank bolted up permanently -- finally! Took forever it seems and my fingers are raw from trying to get the various bolts started. Should have just scrapped the backing strips that came with the kit and used nuts and washers instead; would have been a LOT simpler.

As it is, I ended up buying longer bolts and some rubber spacers. In order to position the tank as far back as possible, it ended up underneath the triangular braces for the rear crossmember. This didn't allow the tank mounting flanges to contact the frame, plus I didn't want the tank rubbing against the braces, so I used the rubber spacers between the flange and the bottom of the frame. Hope this won't be a problem long term but it seemed like a good solution -- it fills the gap plus a bit extra, bringing the tank down just enough to not contact the frame braces.

Pics follow. More in the next post.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2008, 09:19 PM   #122
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

On the other end of things, the front end stuff is supposed to be delivered tomorrow morning, so I dug into my pile o' parts and pulled out the front end kit and tubular upper A-arms from CPP. Had to modify the upper ball joints to clear the welds on the A-arms, which was rather irritating. Seems like the kinda thing they should have worked out in R&D — the welds in a couple areas come right up to the bolt holes, for pete's sake! But I clearanced the ball joints with a grinder and all is well.

Also drilled the second hole (red arrows — top one is an existing hole) for the front shock absorber reinforcing brackets, so those are ready to go as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by brossow; 09-21-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #123
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Front-end setup and radiator core support were delivered this morning as expected, though unfortunately I had to be at work. (Thanks again, Bryan!) Got home early and immediately dug into the stuff. Had help from my 7-year-old, who learned how to run an air impact wrench (and eventually how to release the trigger ).

Everything came apart easily and the center link went right into the blasting cabinet. Didn't have time to paint it tonight but that'll happen tomorrow after work. Think I might throw the K-member (is it a K-member? if not, what is it called?) in the back of the car tomorrow and see about having the place that did my frame take a shot at sandblasting it if they can do it cheap enough. I'm gonna be just a couple blocks from them for work tomorrow anyway, so what the heck.

The upper A-arms are ready to go, but I still want to get the spindles powdercoated and I'm still waiting on the lower A-arms to be delivered, so I guess my next order of business is to get the garage cleaned out so I can move the stove in and wire it so I can get started on powdercoating. Wish the electrical fairy would show up tonight and do it while I'm asleep!
Attached Images

Last edited by brossow; 09-22-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:52 AM   #124
huero
1969 Short, Fleet, and Beat

Nice progress! Thanks, for the pics.
huero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:58 AM   #125
sixnine
Longtime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossow View Post
Finally finished wiring the new sub-panel in the garage this afternoon. Talk about stuff that's not much fun! 50' of 4ga 3-strand wire, seven 90° bends, and a 45° bend. It's gonna take a new garage for me to even think about doing that again! If anything I did meets any sort of code, it's purely coincidence. Words alone cannot express how little I care.

Only have two circuits in there right now, just the preexisting ones (110V lights and power, 220V air compressor), but I got them off the main panel and wired into the sub. Next order of business is emptying out the garage so I can run some more circuits for outlets and lights plus a 220V circuit for the oven so I can start powdercoating, since that's what necessitated this $#@^& detour in the first place.

You can see one of my helpers in the pics if you look close. That's Jane, my black lab. The beagles were utterly uninterested in the project, but Jane wanted to be right in there with me. I prefer the beagles' attitude.
Wow! I just discovered this build and I must say I think this might be one of the best-documented and well-written project threads I've ever read. Keep it up! I'm working on a Camaro right now, but have a '72 stepside that I hope to start on next spring.

I would like to ask, how exactly did you tie in the new sub-panel to your existing panel? We just moved into a new house and I need to run a 220v circuit to my garage for my compressor.

I've ran 220v circuits before,for this very same compressor, but I've always had the fortune of working with 150 or 200 amp panels that had plenty of room for new circuits. The house we live in now only has a 100amp panel and it is packed full with no room to add another 220v circuit. (I guess the builder didn't feel the need for a larger panel since the dryer, oven, stove, fireplace, and heat pump are all gas). Since I will be purchasing a welder when I start work on my '72, I would like to go ahead and add a sub-panel like you have done so that I can expand as necessary. Would it be possible for you to take a picture of your sub-panel connections in the existing panel and explain the connections?

I'll sign a waiver absloving you of all responsibility if it'll make you feel more comfortable.

1972 C10 Short Step -http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=261405

Last edited by sixnine; 09-23-2008 at 02:19 AM. Reason: punctuation
sixnine is offline   Reply With Quote