The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2023, 03:19 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Attaching sectioned cross member

I am prepping for my sectioned crossmemeber swap. As since I had the engine out, my brakes are bad, and the bushings not much better. Why not.

Right?

Well do you guys weld them on or do you re drill the holes to match?

Last one I welded because I was short on time, but I have a little more time this time.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 06:15 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Attaching sectioned cross member

Either would work but it's a bolt-in part so most would likely drill as needed.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:05 AM   #3
hewittca

I'm curious about how you are sectioning your crossmember. When I did mine, the mounting points on the lower part of the crossmember stayed the same and it bolted back on like stock. The top mounting points on the upper control arm supports do not line up anymore as they are above the frame, but it is pretty common to just leave these out. Personally, I would not weld this crossmember in just in case I ever wanted to swap out the front suspension for a drop member or other aftermarket crossmember.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:53 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
I'm curious about how you are sectioning your crossmember. When I did mine, the mounting points on the lower part of the crossmember stayed the same and it bolted back on like stock. The top mounting points on the upper control arm supports do not line up anymore as they are above the frame, but it is pretty common to just leave these out. Personally, I would not weld this crossmember in just in case I ever wanted to swap out the front suspension for a drop member or other aftermarket crossmember.

Personally, I would weld the vertical flange of the x-member to the rail vs just leaving it unbolted.

On my sectioned x-members, I drilled new holes which keeps the vertical surface bolted/secured just like the horizontal surface. This keeps it similar to the stock set-up.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 10:53 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

I was able to re drill holes in the frame to use all the original bolts. As I forgot the one I prepped was was sectioned in such a way as to approximate the Gulstrand mod. So instead of the side bolt holes Going up 1.5 inches they only went up 5/8 to 3/4 of a inch. So I had plenty of room to re drill holes.

The cross member swap was completely unplanned, and only in response to my engine dying unexpectedly on me. As since I had to do so much work. I might as well fix all the issues in the front I had.

So I now have a C20 A-arms with 1/2 ton HD brakes in the front. Which should be pretty bullet proof for messing around.

When I welded on my first sectioned cross member I was under the gun, and just heavily tacked it in. So it could be easily cut out with a small air grinder.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote