The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2023, 09:55 PM   #1
NDM

4x4 to 2wd conversion -But lifted...with handling (something different)

Ok so here is the thing, I wanted a 2wd k5 first gen but obviously the cost skyrocketed. I found a great 72 k5 in terrific condition for less than ideal but otherwise good price.

Now my dream was to lower it, autocross maybe and Ls or Lt swap it to make it a daily driver. Now after having driven it for a while I kind of dig the higher stance but absolutely hate the bloodbath of oil and fluid on my floor from the np205, trans and axles. On top of that, steering and suspension is terrible. While I love my Blazer, it is time to do something about the things I dislike.

What I realized it that I can service the 4x4 parts but it will still ride like crap and steer poorly. I am getting older and I no longer want to deal with a crappy ride.

What I want is to 2wd swap it for better steering and handling, build either a 4 link or trailing arm setup because I am a fabricator and can build cheaper than buy. The thing is though, I think I want to keep it at the same height that it is for now. I have this strange idea that I can make it handle like my old vehicle which was a wk2 SRT Jeep. I owned a wk1 too.

I am thinking go with double adjustible coil overs like I put in my L96 6.0/ 6l90e swapped 76 Buick Regal. But keeping it higher with perhaps lift spindles. I know....I am looney toons. The reason why is because I know that down yhe line I will want to satisfy my lowered curiosity and in that case I will be able to convert to lowered pretty easily.

My skills-
-I designed and built airride systems from scratch on numerous vehicles before so I am 100% capable.
-Mig, Tig, plasma cut, oxy/ac are all skills I have done for years more like decades.
-I have driven probably a quarter million miles on my designed and fabricated suspensions

I currently have a 2wd complete crossmember and steering box from an 84 c20 8 lug on the side of the house that I got very cheap. It is my understanding that I can swap spindles to a 90's spindle and still retain my 6 lug ralley's. Could I possibly do a rack and pinion swap with 2wd lift spindles?

Essentially imagine your lowered c10 or blazer that has dual adj coil overs and sway bars is ripping up the streets.......now lift that bad boy up. I fully understand that the raised stance will not handle quite like a lowere center of gravity. I am just trying to get it to handle as well as I can with the higher stance. My SRT jeep was simply confusing to me when I drove it spirited for the first time. I still think it is impressive how well they engineered the handling in those things. I would be happy to get close to that.

Any suggestions?
NDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 10:19 PM   #2
NDM

Re: 4x4 to 2wd conversion -But lifted...with handling (something different)

4x4 parts are just silly expensive when I do not plan to take it off road. In the couple years that I have owned it, I have never put it into 4wd. No reason to spend on that stuff if I am never going to use it really. I am sure some folks will not get it but no worries. I am old enough to not be bothered by the opinions of those that are not paying the bill. My neighbor was disgusted by my plan.

For those that do get what I am doing and why, let me know how you think I should get there. The motor swap is happening as soon as possible. The first LS swap that I did changed me forever. I enjoy relatively worry free drives in a wicked quick fuel injected rig with a modern trans. My regal is a totally different experience (in a good way).

I am also just tired of chasing leaks. I just do not feel like dealing with the unstoppable drips of oils from my 4x4 components. My ls swapped ride barely drips anything at all ever.
Old 09-18-2023, 01:17 AM   #3
Richard

Saw a post about something like this a while back. I suggested maybe going to an AWD setup from a newer Tahoe or Yukon. Would be a unique vehicle.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 08:59 AM   #4
SCOTI

The 2wd lift spindle would be the best (easiest) way to go in my mind. I know people have done the OBS spindle swaps but I've never read about the impact of that parts combo on the geometry of the conversion.

You might PM board member SkinnyG & see what he learned on his set-up as far as impact on things like geometry & look-outs.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 03:29 PM   #5
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Saw a post about something like this a while back. I suggested maybe going to an AWD setup from a newer Tahoe or Yukon. Would be a unique vehicle.
I tried to buy my sisters awd older escalade with z 6.2 liter and awd. I was going to use it as a donor and sell/scrap the rest. No go, my nephew will be driving soon.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:34 PM   #6
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The 2wd lift spindle would be the best (easiest) way to go in my mind. I know people have done the OBS spindle swaps but I've never read about the impact of that parts combo on the geometry of the conversion.

You might PM board member SkinnyG & see what he learned on his set-up as far as impact on things like geometry & look-outs.
Thanks, I will look into that.