The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2016, 06:03 AM   #51
63dave

Re: 59 Apache SWB Fleetside in UK

Love the Fleetside
63dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:05 PM   #52
uber cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev68 View Post
Were you getting any strange engine noises due to the bent pushrods?
no nothing ran smooth with no tappet noise at all, which is way it was such a surprise. But spoke to someone else how knows 270 engines well and he said its not uncommon on an engine that has been over rev'd to see bent valves?
uber cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #53
Daze57

truck looks real nice - glad you got things sorted out ---good job on the body work also !!!
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #54
uber cool

Good new pushrods arrived. Bad news stripped the head and need 6 new exhaust valves and guides. Rex Ward to the rescue again with 6 NOS exhaust valves and guides. Dropped the head off today at a machine shop to fit the guides, cut the valve seats and skim the head.

so whilst I await the head to return painted the block and other parts

Nitromors paint stripper is not what it used to be, this is after 4 applications!

The advantages of having a pickup to spread parts about
Old 05-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #55
Kim57

Looking good.
Kim
Old 05-31-2016, 11:31 PM   #56
Nev68

Any progress is good progress.
Watch out for HP increase with that extra compression you get from skimming the head.

Need a bigger garage so I can keep more cool cars alive

My build, a long way to go.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595909
Nev68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:47 AM   #57
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Cool truck!!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #58
uber cool

Ok, so the machine shop wasn't happy with the replacement parts as they are 2mm smaller diameter and 3 mm shorter stem. So he has hatched a plan to use Mercedes diesel turbo exhaust valves with a 45 deg seat instead of 30 deg seat and custom valve guides. . So at least next time I'll be able to get parts easier. Should get the head back next Wednesday. so until they it's clean and paint the other parts.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #59
uber cool

Ive just noticed all the early posted photos have disappeared so I did this little video

https://youtu.be/nqtK-sKP0VY

Also picked the head up yesterday, all new exhaust valve and all new (inlet and exhaust) valve guides, and skimmed. So the re build begins tomorrow night , yippee!
Old 06-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #60
uber cool

ngine back together again now.

Went for a little test run and did have a little panic. it was pumping out blue smoke, bought thought to myself dont worry it will soon clear as it's just machine shop oil burning off the built head. Well 5 miles in and still doing it !!!!!!!!!!! Stopped at some traffic lights and I disappeared in my own smoke cloud. Hmmm time to return home for a look under the bonnet. Well nothing obviously a miss, checked the oil and wow over the dip stick mark by quite a bit Ooops! must have had a blonde moment filling the oil, drained the oil back to the full mark and got 1.5 litres out! Went for another test run and smoke soon cleared and my heart rate back to normal.
Just a few more little jobs to sort and and then ready for Claasic Le-mans in July .
Old 06-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #61
RockinKees

Engine is looking nice in there!

Glad you figured out that little oilproblem
Everything is running okay now?

1959 Chevy Fleetside Longbed
My build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643426
Kool Guyz CC
Instagram: _King_Kustom_
RockinKees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #62
Kim57

That's one sweet looking engine.
Kim
Old 06-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #63
uber cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinKees View Post
Engine is looking nice in there!

Glad you figured out that little oilproblem
Everything is running okay now?
yes on short test rip 10 miles it drove nice at 60 MPH
Old 08-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #64
uber cool

Well i haven't posted for a while as I've been mad busy in the garage the Le Mans trip went well and soon as I got back needed to recommission my 68 VW camper from its 3 year sleep in a nice warm and dry garage for a friends wedding. So just found time to sit down and report on the trip.

We set off from Preston on the wednesday morning about 11:00am to give us 12 hours to drive 300 miles to Newhaven ferry port. First car related problem didnt see us leave home for another 30 mins! You wouldn't have guessed but out of 3 vehicles a 59 Apache pickup a 63 C10 pickup and a 2005 Aston Martin the Aston had trouble first! The passenger seat had been moved forward so they could get 3 persons in the car to get to my house, then on we would have 2 in each vehicle. Well the seat wouldn't come back off it's most forward travel, no matter what we did we could not get it to move, could feel the motor twitch when the button pressed but that was it. We were losing time before we had even set off, so we decided to set off and Paul (driver of the Aston) would phone the Aston dealer for advice. This meant the passenger ( Paul's 6ft 2in son) would need to rammed in the rear seats until we get it sorted.

First stop M6 services about 50 miles, advise from dealer move the switch up,down, back, front hold up for 20 seconds, wait 10 mins and it will reset. Sounds complete rubbish, but sure enough it worked. So passenger now happy he could uncurl himself.  Marks C10 was using a little oil so a  top up with 1 litre (eek) of oil after 50 miles,, hmm sort of set the tone for oil use for the rest of the trip!

The rest of the trip to Newhaven was a mix of heavy traffic and 50 MPH road work sections and frequent stops to top oil up in the C10.  20 miles out from Newhaven and Mark radio's to say the C10 oil light is on and it's rattling.  Arrgh , I thought sounds like the dreaded death rattle!  Anyway we pull over sharpish on the hard should of the motorway and check the oil, which is low again and waited 20 mins. Now i should say at this point this is the one thing we knew was dodgy, as the bottom end is 'very' worn, but we though it made the adventure a little more exiting not to fix it beforehand and sort of give it it's last run before rebuild over the winter.  Well 20 mins passed and it fired up no noise, parts of me think it could have been 'driver imagined noise' as we all do when we listen to every little noise the car makes and fear the worst, combined with a bit or fatigue. Driver that is, not the engine.............well actually a bit of both!

Well we then get going again and drive into Newhaven. Onto the overnight ferry which gets to Dieppe at 05:00hrs. We get off the ferry me first, then the C10 and about tens mins behind because we where on different car deck the Aston.  So we get split up and lost, me and the c10 stop and regroup and wait for the Aston. Paul's radios to say 2 problems. 1 he is lost and 2 his back window has smashed.  WTF, i say, or words to that effect!
He pull into the layby after a little radio directions and sure enough back window intact but completely shattered.  so we set about with the tape and fashion a quick DIY black tinted non see through rear window. 

The clever one amongst us ( Christian in orange)  pondered how it could have happened. In the end decides it must have been that it was warm on the ferry decks and we came out in 1deg C temp in france and the contraction caused it to shatter. Well  whilst in france and a bit of googling and phone calls it appears it's a known problem on the 2005 DB9 and happens as the rear heated window does not turn off and overheats the glass ( so Chris was nearly correct). For those keen to know the outcome Paul  got the window replaced free of charge by Aston once back in the UK.

me on the scissor, Chris on the careful tape patting. We made a nice job of keeping off the paintwork. In fact once completed someone actually thought it was a sun screen to save the interior from sun damage. But it did also get a few folk sucking air through their teeth and pulling the ooh face.

Once back on the road it was 120 miles to the campsite, we stopped in a little village and visited a car shop to buy more oil for Mark's C10 and bought what we called gulp, extra thick oil for Marks truck. Well it worked, stopped the rattle and kept the 'light of death' off at idle for th rest of the trip.

we stopped for a few arty shots on-route to the campsite

More to follow i just cant type super fast!

Last edited by uber cool; 08-11-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #65
Advanced Design

Great trip and story! Thanks for sharing.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #66
uber cool

OMG not updated this for ages. Anyhoo, off to Le Mans again this year in July for the classic so busy preparing this and a friends 63 C10.

Not too much to do on mine, replaced front wheel bearings, got the king pins to do and if i get time fit MSD 6AL and a touch of the lowering stick.

Biggest dilemma is wheels white or black

Old 05-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #67
Katrina/10

I like the white ones!

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote