The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #26
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Annoying Phone Calls

That right there is pretty funny, Tony. I get calls all day long at home. We let the machine take any call that we don't recognize the number and/or caller. A guy I knew back in the '90s had this for his voice mail message,

"Hello? Hello? Is there someone there? I can barely hear anything. Is there someone there? Speak up, I can barely hear you!", etc., for awhile; then he says, Leave a message".

So, people will be yelling into the phone and get really PO'd when it gets to the "leave a message" part. I'd do it, but if my wife called home from work, she'd be the one PO'd, and I don't want that.

One thing I learned from a guy who used to work for the phone company- the people who make those calls can't use a cheap calling rate. Once the phone is answered, they start getting charged. If the long message above got them charged a lot, maybe after awhile, it would stop. But I doubt it. My wife used to give one of the kids the phone to talk to the person when they were little. I gotta figure out the call blocking. Scammers and solicitors are 95% of our phone calls. I have more blocked numbers than contacts, on my cell phone! And I have a big family- lots of them, plus friends. Crazy.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:48 PM   #27
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
That right there is pretty funny, Tony. I get calls all day long at home. We let the machine take any call that we don't recognize the number and/or caller. A guy I knew back in the '90s had this for his voice mail message,

"Hello? Hello? Is there someone there? I can barely hear anything. Is there someone there? Speak up, I can barely hear you!", etc., for awhile; then he says, Leave a message".

So, people will be yelling into the phone and get really PO'd when it gets to the "leave a message" part. I'd do it, but if my wife called home from work, she'd be the one PO'd, and I don't want that.

One thing I learned from a guy who used to work for the phone company- the people who make those calls can't use a cheap calling rate. Once the phone is answered, they start getting charged. If the long message above got them charged a lot, maybe after awhile, it would stop. But I doubt it. My wife used to give one of the kids the phone to talk to the person when they were little. I gotta figure out the call blocking. Scammers and solicitors are 95% of our phone calls. I have more blocked numbers than contacts, on my cell phone! And I have a big family- lots of them, plus friends. Crazy.
Everyday it becomes more clear why I don't use a cell phone. I have one only for emergencies, costs me $70 a year. Downside is without one you're approaching dysfunctional. Everyone assumes you use one and I don't. Now that I'm single and considering a post-retirement income source - I may have to cave in

@ giving the phone to the kids. That's gold.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:28 AM   #28
a1vintage69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Everyday it becomes more clear why I don't use a cell phone. I have one only for emergencies, costs me $70 a year. Downside is without one you're approaching dysfunctional. Everyone assumes you use one and I don't. Now that I'm single and considering a post-retirement income source - I may have to cave in

@ giving the phone to the kids. That's gold.
Tony, Lets talk here for a bit. That little 6"x3" device called a cell phone I hold in my hand and carry in my pocket at all times is so much more than just for calling someone. It is my personal secretary, my instant computer that connects me to the interwebb world wide! I can use it for eBay, pay pal, search tempest , email, buy sell trade, it can direct me to your door step one turn at a time, tell me the weather, lets me know when the Warriors are playing, I can talk and see my granddaughters on it. It wakes me up in the morning, it's a flashlight, does math for me , calculates divides, percentages, spells for me, reminds me of my appointments, its a calendar. I could do my banking also but I am old and refuse to and just before typing this I just took 20 pictures of nos gm parts to transfer onto my computer with it to sell here.I am sure I have missed some things but it was the best decision I ever made.yeah it cost me $600 + a year and worth every penny. If I can learn how to use one you can too. that's why it's called a smartphone. JUST DO IT!!! take care, a1
a1vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #29
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I'm on the do not call list. It's not very good. I think they've also started a new special list for me. If I'm not doing anything and a solicitor calls me, I'll answer. Of the ones I answer, none call a second time. Something about the 1-900-sex-call I turn it into, I think. That's worked better than the do not call list for me.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #30
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1vintage69 View Post
Tony, Lets talk here for a bit. That little 6"x3" device called a cell phone I hold in my hand and carry in my pocket at all times is so much more than just for calling someone. It is my personal secretary, my instant computer that connects me to the interwebb world wide! I can use it for eBay, pay pal, search tempest , email, buy sell trade, it can direct me to your door step one turn at a time, tell me the weather, lets me know when the Warriors are playing, I can talk and see my granddaughters on it. It wakes me up in the morning, it's a flashlight, does math for me , calculates divides, percentages, spells for me, reminds me of my appointments, its a calendar. I could do my banking also but I am old and refuse to and just before typing this I just took 20 pictures of nos gm parts to transfer onto my computer with it to sell here.I am sure I have missed some things but it was the best decision I ever made.yeah it cost me $600 + a year and worth every penny. If I can learn how to use one you can too. that's why it's called a smartphone. JUST DO IT!!! take care, a1
You still haven't talked me into one
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 03-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #31
a1vintage69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
You still haven't talked me into one
It gave you some perspective and you are getting close to biting the bullet. Go fo it!
a1vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #32
flashed

I used to keep a coaches whistle next to my home phone and when I got a live person I gave them an ear full .Now they mostly seem to be computerized so I just let the machine take it .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:50 PM   #33
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1vintage69 View Post
It gave you some perspective and you are getting close to biting the bullet. Go fo it!
, yeah probably
Old 03-04-2018, 11:38 PM   #34
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I used to keep a coaches whistle next to my home phone and when I got a live person I gave them an ear full .Now they mostly seem to be computerized so I just let the machine take it .
From our days with Cub and Boy Scouts, our whole family has Blaster V whistles. They can be heard for miles when you blow them. Plug your ears if you use one to troll a phone solicitor...hmmmmm, maybe I'll go back to answering the phone, after all.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 03-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #35
slomotion
Old Duffer

I still use a simple flip phone. My kids rag me about not texting, but I don't feel it's necessary to be available 24-7. I can remember a time when our phone wouldn't ring for a day or two and we still survived. As for the scammers/telemarketers, why haven't the "Computer wizards" developed a device that would back-feed a signal to the caller that would "smoke" their equipment? Not to hurt anyone, just wreck their terminal or at least disable it for the length of a shift.
Special K, when I get the mailed stuff with the return postage-paid envelope I put their propaganda in the return envelope and mail it back to them. That way they pay postage both ways, the Post Office gets paid for carrying it back, and it didn't cost me anything to send it back. Sometimes I'll mix up competitor's fliers to mail back, sometimes just an empty envelope.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #36
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
I still use a simple flip phone. My kids rag me about not texting, but I don't feel it's necessary to be available 24-7. I can remember a time when our phone wouldn't ring for a day or two and we still survived. As for the scammers/telemarketers, why haven't the "Computer wizards" developed a device that would back-feed a signal to the caller that would "smoke" their equipment? Not to hurt anyone, just wreck their terminal or at least disable it for the length of a shift.
Special K, when I get the mailed stuff with the return postage-paid envelope I put their propaganda in the return envelope and mail it back to them. That way they pay postage both ways, the Post Office gets paid for carrying it back, and it didn't cost me anything to send it back. Sometimes I'll mix up competitor's fliers to mail back, sometimes just an empty envelope.
After my wife and I got married, we got tons of junk mail. We stuffed those envelopes with all kinds of paper to be sure that they went back with increased postage due. It stopped after a few months.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 03-05-2018, 08:27 PM   #37
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

If you have a smart phone download an app called hiya it blocks calls and you can block unknown and private numbers. It's on Android and I believe on iPhone. I use it. It's stopped a lot of calls and maybe one or two slip through the cracks and once the call is over simply open the app and click block. 9 times out of 10 when the call happens it goes straight to voice mail but most of the time they were robo calls

Classics make it possible!
70' GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:13 PM   #38
kwmech

Well today it's all about the security system I'm supposed to need. 2 calls so far
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #39
abig84

i seem to get one every other day on my cell phone from all sorts of different numbers that have the exact same area code and first 3 digits of my cell phone. never leaves a message or anything. most the time im at work and dont see it til later, i would be curious to answer it but i always think that would make it worse and get more calls
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #40
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Well today it's all about the security system I'm supposed to need. 2 calls so far
My calls today are credit card offers, because they (whoever "they" are) have been monitoring my accounts for the last 6 months. *click* as I hang up....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #41
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

I'm getting the "We're calling about your credit card. There's nothing wrong, we can lower your interest rate".

I've been answering lately and when a live person comes on I act like I'm very interested. They go through a canned speech and then hang up when I ask them how they can lower my credit card interest below Zero Percent, because I pay off my balance every month, LOL!
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:41 PM   #42
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

When my sons were little, sometimes my wife would hand them the phone.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 03-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #43
Ironhorse

Well, looks as if there is a LOT of company with the annoying phone calls. There are some days we don't get any questionable calls, sometimes get 5-6 or even more. Cell phone, not so much. But there again, if the calling number is not in my listed phone #s, I don't answer. Did that only once years ago, won a free all expenses paid cruise, just had to pay the up-front "logistics costs" what ever that meant. Did't pay the costs and didn't go on the cruise, LOL.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #44
The Rocknrod

I use a flip phone. If I want to get on the computer I go to a computer to do that.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #45
franken

Strangely, I never get calls like this. I've only had work phones for the last ~20 years other than for a few months.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #46
beautimus

yep, same here. 10 calls a day from spoof numbers. i did finally press 2 to talk to a representative, just to ask them to stop. then i find out that the high court in the land recently ruled that if you press a number to talk to someone, you have given them permission to call, forever. so the do not call list is now junk.
you get on the list thinking that will stop them. they call with impunity, because the list can not be enforced, because you dont have a legitimate number for who is calling. even if they have a menu item that says press this number to be taken off our call list, that gives them permission to call back forever. and if you press any number at all, you have given them permission to call back forever. so no matter what you do, you are stuck with them. Also a lot of those calls are coming out of india and pakistan, so our government has no juristiction there. so again you are stuck and there is nothing you can do.
the spoofed number is many times the legit number of an innocent party.
so if you report a number for harrasing calls , all you have done is get someone else in trouble that doesnt have anything to do with the problem.
i get several calls a month from people asking me to stop calling them.
i dont know what the answer is, but something has got to happen soon. our whole communication system is breaking down over this mess.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #47
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

This was a first for me today and I'm still just a bit stunned. Phone rang, wife was napping so I picked up and a guy's voice said you're going to hell if you don't belong to our church. Dunno if it's a recording or a live person but I immediately hung up. If it happens again and it's not a recording, he might not appreciate what I have to say to him. That's not the best way to drum up more business.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 03-24-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #48
B. W.

I get a lot of sales calls at work (never answer the house phone) I ask them "Is this a sales call?" When they say yes I interrupt them them & say "I'll buy whatever you're selling!" That takes them back for a second, then I finish "I'll buy whatever you're selling if you buy a set of tires from me!"

Then they say they live in a different state, they're too far away, blah, blah. And I say "I can ship them!"

Believe it or not, I've sold two sets of tires that way & yes, I bought what they were selling.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:21 PM   #49
chevlady

Last one I got was last week.I hear this after answering it,you won a free vacation and have received these 4 times now.I know it is a scam and full of BS right away.Know it is not free at all.
chevlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:12 AM   #50
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevlady View Post
Last one I got was last week.I hear this after answering it,you won a free vacation and have received these 4 times now.I know it is a scam and full of BS right away.Know it is not free at all.
Yup. I win a free trip to the Bahamas about every week.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote