The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2004, 11:22 PM   #1
hobby67stepside

stepside stake pocket tail lights

I would like to use some sort of tail light in the stake pocket instead of the big round dorky looking stock lights. I think I have seen pics of Cadillac lights used, but I don't really want that. Does anyone know of an assembly that would work? The pocket looking from the rear is about 2 1/2" wide at the widest part (they taper) and approx 2 1/4" deep. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
hobby67stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:32 PM   #2
bigvinnie

seems like it would be kinda small if you're trying to keep it inside the dimensions of the stake pocket frame... I guess you could run some sort of tall, thin light vertically in that area, but not sure that would look good...

i've seen various lights frenched into the rear face of the stepside fender that looked ok.

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

how about the sort of oblong or oval lights that you see in the back of trailer trucks therey like two inches by four inches long

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 05:12 PM   #4
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

I was thinking the same thing... I was trying to fit the Caddy DeVille lights there but its very tight .. so I ended up buying some LED trailer lights like Bob was talking about.. should have them next week...also note that the front stake pockets are wider then the rear. You could fab a set of front on the rear. That would give you enough space for DeVille lights... I'll see what I can come up with for photos when I get my lights ... but here is a pic of the light itself .. RED led with a clear lense ... about 2-1/4" wide by 6-1/2" tall by 2-1/2" deep

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:39 PM   #5
nosto
Flamin' Bass

Ummm, sorta' like this maybe.....? Except these are red/red.
Attached Images

Pics : http://community.webshots.com/user/nosto53

1972 Triumph TR6 - full resto, now with a Toyota 5-speed
1975 F**D F-100 - rusty, but reliable
1982 HD XLH-1000
1967 C-10, shortstep, 350/M21 4spd, nitrogen tank fills fast bags on 4 corners, Toyo 255/45X20s on American Eagle 221 20X8s, shaved locks and handles, antenna, fuel filler, tiny C-notch, rear fuel tank, long headers, Edelbrock, worn 600 Holley, Checkmate flush hard cover, rear pan, custom LED taillights - painted it, too! But don't like it so I'm gonna do it again!!
nosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:53 PM   #6
ghetocrewzer
Account Suspended

Try some Thin L.E.D. taillights. Thet are about 1-1.5" and you can get them in any length. Also you can sink them in, shave the lense even w/ the body, tape them off when you spray your basecoat, then unmask them and clear them with your paint job. When you get through you cut and buff and the light is part of the paintjob. Looks killer. John
ghetocrewzer is offline   Reply With Quote