The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
jondancer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: central michigan
Posts: 943
Utility bucket seat covers ?

Anyone make seat covers for the shorter utility bucket seats ?
Thanks
Jon
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
6768chevylover
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: nepa
Posts: 499
Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

I don't know who exactly makes them but they are out there. I just saw utility buckets this summer on a 70 blazer with nice interior in it.
6768chevylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
praisegeetarman
Active Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Harrah, Washington
Posts: 187
Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

SMS auto fabrics has the correct factory material. You can get it from them and then have a local shop make the covers. That's what I did with the utility buckets in my 71 blazer.

Keith
__________________
71 Blazer 4X4 (unmolested, all original (including paint) 74,000 mile barn find)
67 Camaro RS SS (unmolested, all original (including paint) 81,000 mile barn find)

Keith Riel
praisegeetarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
bigdon-70blazer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Poplar Bluff, MO
Posts: 1,410
Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

SMS had the original pattern 1970 material when I called them. But remember this, do not take "no we do not have it" for an answer. Talk to several people, trying to find some of the old dogs there. I finally got in touch with the right person and got what I needed. There is no vendor for the covers for utility buckets. The material was pricy though. I did this restore about 7 years ago!
Attached Images
  
bigdon-70blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
bigdon-70blazer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Poplar Bluff, MO
Posts: 1,410
Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

I had a local person stitch up the covers taking the pattern off of the old covers.
bigdon-70blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
hemi43
Registered User
 
hemi43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Newcastle Ontario Canada
Posts: 678
Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

For the price of seat covers, buy yourself a nice sewing machine for less than the cost of the covers and make your own. These have to be the easiest seats to re-upholster and are perfect if you've never done it before. Once you're done, you'll have new seats and a sewing machine. The material to recover both my front seats and the rear was around $80.
Attached Images
 
__________________
The one that dies with the most tools, wins !

www.dantechfabricating.com
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy
 
Tom Vogel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Davis County, Utah
Posts: 2,405
Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

[QUOTE=For the price of seat covers, buy yourself a nice sewing machine for less than the cost of the covers and make your own. These have to be the easiest seats to re-upholster and are perfect if you've never done it before. Once you're done, you'll have new seats and a sewing machine. The material to recover both my front seats and the rear was around $80.[/QUOTE]

Holy ***, you did that first time with no experience??
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #8
hemi43
Registered User
 
hemi43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Newcastle Ontario Canada
Posts: 678
Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Holy ***, you did that first time with no experience??
No, not my first one, but maybe the fourth. Definitely the easiest though because there's only a few pieces that needed to be sew together.
__________________
The one that dies with the most tools, wins !

www.dantechfabricating.com
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
raggedjim
Senior Member
 
raggedjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Murray, Kentucky
Posts: 2,274
Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
No, not my first one, but maybe the fourth. Definitely the easiest though because there's only a few pieces that needed to be sew together.
Sounds to me like you have the makings of a cottage industry! Would you consider making another set, since you already have the sewing machine?

Rg
__________________
Roger

'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #10
bambbrose
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern Ut
Posts: 72
Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
For the price of seat covers, buy yourself a nice sewing machine for less than the cost of the covers and make your own. These have to be the easiest seats to re-upholster and are perfect if you've never done it before. Once you're done, you'll have new seats and a sewing machine. The material to recover both my front seats and the rear was around $80.
Care do make a small how-to guide? I've got my wife's sewing machine and I'm pretty handy. Did you just take off the factory cover, or what was left, and dissemble, cut new vinyl, and reassemble?
__________________
See the latest on my 1972 GMC Jimmy Build: https://www.instagram.com/utjimmy/
bambbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #11
hemi43
Registered User
 
hemi43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Newcastle Ontario Canada
Posts: 678
Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambbrose View Post
Care do make a small how-to guide? I've got my wife's sewing machine and I'm pretty handy. Did you just take off the factory cover, or what was left, and dissemble, cut new vinyl, and reassemble?
Hopefully the OP won't mind me posting this on his thread.

I'm not sure what type of sewing machine your Wife has, but an industrial one with a walking foot is a must because you'll be going through at least 4 layers of vinyl.

Hopefully the original covers are still somewhat intact, then it's only a matter of taking it apart so that the panels can be used as templates. I use a single edge razor blade to cut the stitching while pulling the panels apart.
If the panels don't sit flat, ironing them will help a bit. I then transfer the shape of these panels on bristle board because it makes it easier to use this thin cardboard to trace the pattern on the new vinyl.

On most cars, the passenger and driver's seat are identical, so only one set of patterns needs to be made. Keep in mind that the original panels have stretched and shrunk over the years, so I cut the patterns with smooth lines so as not to copy wear.

Once all the vinyl is cut, the first thing to do is sew any pattern or pleats into the seating area. I use 1/'2 fabric covered foam for this.

The next thing is making the piping. You can get 5/32 dia piping core from any upholstery supplier and it's made from a hard foam. I always sew the piping on one panel first because it makes it easier when doing the final sewing.

More than likely your foam will need replacing too, so use medium density foam. The best way to cut it is with an electric meat knife that you can get at a pawn shop or Goodwill store. Final shape is done with a 2" 36 grit sanding disc.
YouTube has some excellent videos on how to do this, and will most likely explain better than what I can. This is a hobby for me, and have only done about 4 interiors, but it's really quite easy. Anyone can do it because it's not rocket science, and it's nice to be able to claim you sewed your own seats.
If you decide to tackle it, I'd be more happy to help.
Here's some pictures I had ;
Attached Images
     
__________________
The one that dies with the most tools, wins !

www.dantechfabricating.com
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:05 AM   #12
jondancer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: central michigan
Posts: 943
Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

Found these cool vintage seat covers .
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #13
bambbrose
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern Ut
Posts: 72
Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

Thank you so much for the guide and details. Sounds like what I'll need to do. I'm not sure my wife's sewing machine will be up to the task however. Open to suggestions on what kind of machine to watch for!

And sorry for the thread hijack OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
Hopefully the OP won't mind me posting this on his thread.

I'm not sure what type of sewing machine your Wife has, but an industrial one with a walking foot is a must because you'll be going through at least 4 layers of vinyl.

Hopefully the original covers are still somewhat intact, then it's only a matter of taking it apart so that the panels can be used as templates. I use a single edge razor blade to cut the stitching while pulling the panels apart.
If the panels don't sit flat, ironing them will help a bit. I then transfer the shape of these panels on bristle board because it makes it easier to use this thin cardboard to trace the pattern on the new vinyl.

On most cars, the passenger and driver's seat are identical, so only one set of patterns needs to be made. Keep in mind that the original panels have stretched and shrunk over the years, so I cut the patterns with smooth lines so as not to copy wear.

Once all the vinyl is cut, the first thing to do is sew any pattern or pleats into the seating area. I use 1/'2 fabric covered foam for this.

The next thing is making the piping. You can get 5/32 dia piping core from any upholstery supplier and it's made from a hard foam. I always sew the piping on one panel first because it makes it easier when doing the final sewing.

More than likely your foam will need replacing too, so use medium density foam. The best way to cut it is with an electric meat knife that you can get at a pawn shop or Goodwill store. Final shape is done with a 2" 36 grit sanding disc.
YouTube has some excellent videos on how to do this, and will most likely explain better than what I can. This is a hobby for me, and have only done about 4 interiors, but it's really quite easy. Anyone can do it because it's not rocket science, and it's nice to be able to claim you sewed your own seats.
If you decide to tackle it, I'd be more happy to help.
Here's some pictures I had ;
__________________
See the latest on my 1972 GMC Jimmy Build: https://www.instagram.com/utjimmy/
bambbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #14
bambbrose
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern Ut
Posts: 72
Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondancer View Post
Found these cool vintage seat covers .
I would love to find those. I can't find anything without a headrest.
__________________
See the latest on my 1972 GMC Jimmy Build: https://www.instagram.com/utjimmy/
bambbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #15
jondancer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: central michigan
Posts: 943
Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

Anyone used ricks upholstery?
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #16
jondancer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: central michigan
Posts: 943
Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondancer View Post
Anyone used ricks upholstery?

Is ricks upholstery a board member ?
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com