The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
kx57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 60
Hydroblasting / Sandblasting frame..this is bugging me

So I was looking into hydroblasting/sandblasting my frame.

Ran into this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVzfKpCTGNA

Here's what's bugging me...

If you hydroblast your frame without stripping everything off..isn't the water just going to get forced in between all the brackets/bolts/nuts/etc ?

And if you are epoxy priming it or such right away ...isn't that going to cause you issues?

Or do you try and forced some air in there to dry it out after blasting? Seems like it would be difficult to actually get in those areas....

Has anyone done this? What has your experience been?
kx57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
B. W.
Senior Member
 
B. W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bigfork, Montana
Posts: 563
Re: Hydroblasting / Sandblasting frame..this is bugging me

I haven't used hydro blasting but I've done a lot of sandblasting. I agree, the water may make for a cleaner operating environment but then you must immediately dry the piece & what about flash rust? I think the old "dirty" way of blasting is still the best.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
wichita
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Selma Ca
Posts: 3
Re: Hydroblasting / Sandblasting frame..this is bugging me

Just use eastwoods after Blast after blasting. It's phosphorus metal etch that will keep it from flash rusting and also promotes excellent surface for primer.
wichita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60
 
Clyde65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 7,119
Re: Hydroblasting / Sandblasting frame..this is bugging me

Wd40 will protect it until you can get it to a shop to clean and primer it.
__________________
Clyde65

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684



support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:41 AM   #5
Foot Stomper
Senior Member
 
Foot Stomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 759
Re: Hydroblasting / Sandblasting frame..this is bugging me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
Wd40 will protect it until you can get it to a shop to clean and primer it.
How do you clean off the WD40?
__________________
So when is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:09 AM   #6
MARTINSR
Registered User
 
MARTINSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: San Francisco Bay area Ca USA
Posts: 2,993
Re: Hydroblasting / Sandblasting frame..this is bugging me

OH GOD NO don't use something like that to protect the metal BEFORE primeing!

Sand blast it and epoxy prime it is the best of the best. If you prime it within a day or so and it's not raining or something like that with a bunch of moisture in the air or if you aren't next to the ocean or something that microscopic rust will be buried under the epoxy.

Of course, if you check around you may find that having it powdercoated for as much as it costs to just sand blast it, or for a few dollars more than the primer and paint cost.

Brian
__________________
1948 Chevy pickup
Chopped, Sectioned, 1953 Corvette 235 powered. Once was even 401 Buick mid engined with the carburetor right between the seats!
Bought with paper route money in 1973 when I was 15.

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:25 AM   #7
Jrainman
Senior Member
 
Jrainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North East PA
Posts: 333
Re: Hydroblasting / Sandblasting frame..this is bugging me

the company that sell the machine ( dustless basting) sells there own rust inhibitor that is applied as the final rinse giving the customer a 72 hour window
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #8
kx57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 60
Re: Hydroblasting / Sandblasting frame..this is bugging me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
the company that sell the machine ( dustless basting) sells there own rust inhibitor that is applied as the final rinse giving the customer a 72 hour window
Interesting.

That makes sense for blasting a clean frame.

What about all the nooks and crannies between brackets and such? Seems like forcing high pressure water in there is a bad idea to me...how would you ever get it clean and dry?


I'm debating pulling all the stock brackets off my frame so I can "do it right".
kx57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #9
Jrainman
Senior Member
 
Jrainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North East PA
Posts: 333
Re: Hydroblasting / Sandblasting frame..this is bugging me

I do agree with you ,but the way you are talking about mediablasting a frame is not doing 100% of the job , 80% is more likly. doing a 100% frame mediablasting in my opinon would require 100% of the frame to be dismantled all rivits cut all crossmembers and brackets taken off till the rails are separated then you can achieve 100% blasting and 100% coating.

and trust me there are a lot of rivits and it takes time to get a frame to that point . and also at this stage it would not matter if you did a dustless blasting or a dry media blasting .
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:30 AM   #10
kx57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 60
Re: Hydroblasting / Sandblasting frame..this is bugging me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
I do agree with you ,but the way you are talking about mediablasting a frame is not doing 100% of the job , 80% is more likly. doing a 100% frame mediablasting in my opinon would require 100% of the frame to be dismantled all rivits cut all crossmembers and brackets taken off till the rails are separated then you can achieve 100% blasting and 100% coating.

and trust me there are a lot of rivits and it takes time to get a frame to that point . and also at this stage it would not matter if you did a dustless blasting or a dry media blasting .
That is exactly what I'm mulling over.

The cross members I'm not sure I want to remove.....here in Ontario some people get sticky about frame mods that don't look factory...so if I don't put bolts in that look like the original rivets that may cause questions later on.

The cab brackets and box brackets I'm going to remove. They need repaired anyway so I might as well do them right.
kx57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #11
Jrainman
Senior Member
 
Jrainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North East PA
Posts: 333
Re: Hydroblasting / Sandblasting frame..this is bugging me

I did cut every rivit out ,But I am very lucky to be able to bring home from work the hardware for free (tension control bolts ) and the Electric sheer wrench to install the bolts and nuts , this is the way we rivit steel today out in the field. its faster and stronger then the old original rivit method . the hardware is expensive and the wrench cost about 1,800 USD

On another note about the dustless blasting does not use that much water I would think you could use a cheep propane style plumbing torch to heat those areas to disapate the water that you are concerned with.
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #12
zicc1835
Senior Member
 
zicc1835's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lanoka Harbor NJ
Posts: 2,403
Re: Hydroblasting / Sandblasting frame..this is bugging me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx57 View Post
That is exactly what I'm mulling over.

The cross members I'm not sure I want to remove.....here in Ontario some people get sticky about frame mods that don't look factory...so if I don't put bolts in that look like the original rivets that may cause questions later on.

The cab brackets and box brackets I'm going to remove. They need repaired anyway so I might as well do them right.
i went down this road....got good results took some time and material i got what i wanted.... so not to bore you look at post #4 and #70... if you like and pictures of your work when you get there
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722288
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #13
kx57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 60
Re: Hydroblasting / Sandblasting frame..this is bugging me

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
i went down this road....got good results took some time and material i got what i wanted.... so not to bore you look at post #4 and #70... if you like and pictures of your work when you get there
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722288

That is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Seems much more complete with less chance for rust to creep out of the in between pieces.

I live in a place with humidity and rain after all.

What are you planning to use for hardware to bolt everything back together?
kx57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #14
zicc1835
Senior Member
 
zicc1835's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lanoka Harbor NJ
Posts: 2,403
Re: Hydroblasting / Sandblasting frame..this is bugging me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx57 View Post
That is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Seems much more complete with less chance for rust to creep out of the in between pieces.

I live in a place with humidity and rain after all.

What are you planning to use for hardware to bolt everything back together?
allen key pan head stainless with washers & lock nuts where i can.... grade 8s elsewhere
Attached Images
 
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:24 PM   #15
kx57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 60
Re: Hydroblasting / Sandblasting frame..this is bugging me

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
allen key pan head stainless with washers & lock nuts where i can.... grade 8s elsewhere
Very nice.

I'd love to see some shots of the reassembled frame when it's done.
kx57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com