The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Member Dealings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2003, 05:54 PM   #1
CEDJUNIOR

Thumbs up Herculiner Bed Liner

Well this is kind of a mixed review. I actually put the Herculiner on my truck about a year and a half ago. I bought it at PepBoys for like $150 for everything. This includes an extra quart of the liner, the cleaner and solvent to prepare the bed and all that. So yeah, I put it on, and it looked great, it gave the bed of my truck a dipped in rubber type look. Well since then the finish has faded to a very dull flat black, and when it gets wet you can see the water turn a tint of black and run. It still looks better than a scratched up or rusted bed, and the finish doesn't matter if all I'm haulin in the back is a pallet of sod or some dirt, but If someone wanted me to help them move any furniture that was put in the back of my truck it would get black smudges all over it. Not good.

I went to their website and saw that the offer some UV refinish and protectant stuff for $20 a bottle. I was going to buy the stuff, but I figured I'd e-mail them and ask if they had a solution to my problem. They e-mailed me back the next day asking to for my address to send me a bottle of that UV Protectant for free! They said that was the solution to my problem. Not bad. I've received the stuff but haven't applied it yet, but its black and about the consistency of motor oil, so it looks like it will do the trick. Pretty good customer service. So if any of you guys are looking to use Herculiner, spend the extra $20 on the UV protectant too.

I just installed one of those KN FIPK's on my truck, and am doing some tests on gas mileage and all that so I'll let everyone know how that turned out as well.

'95 K1500 4x4 Ext Cab
5.7 TBI
NV4500 Tranny, 14 Bolt swapped in, locker, 3.73's
CEDJUNIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 10:14 PM   #2
CEDJUNIOR

Applied that uv protectant stuff they sent me, looks brand new now.

'95 K1500 4x4 Ext Cab
5.7 TBI
Old 07-30-2003, 03:54 PM   #3
boataddict26

Sound like really good service!! I wont hesitate to buy the herculiner now. (Have to get a good bed first)
Old 07-30-2003, 07:52 PM   #4
CEDJUNIOR

Here is a pic of the finished product.
Attached Images

'95 K1500 4x4 Ext Cab
5.7 TBI
Old 07-30-2003, 08:40 PM   #5
boataddict26

Looks good!!
Old 08-09-2003, 03:36 PM   #6
hughnews1

i now have used herc on 3 trucks now .. last one is c-20 1971 LB and its perfect ! thanks to K mart no probs at all .. #2 GMC LB 2002 has a cap on it since new .. #1 was a 2000 GMC swb park outside and no cap at all .. again no probs wooo hooo
hughnews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:13 PM   #7
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

That does look good and glad to hear about their customer service - the thing that bugs me is that they know this UV stuff is necessary and their product is primarily direct at beds so why don't they just add it in the product or include it when you buy the product rather than having to buy it separately. I feel that way even more strongly on the places that do the applications commerically.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 01:40 AM   #8
CEDJUNIOR

Quote:
Originally posted by Yukon Jack
That does look good and glad to hear about their customer service - the thing that bugs me is that they know this UV stuff is necessary and their product is primarily direct at beds so why don't they just add it in the product or include it when you buy the product rather than having to buy it separately. I feel that way even more strongly on the places that do the applications commerically.
I wondered why they don't just add the UV protectant part right to the liner, but I think I know why they don't. The Herculiner uses xylene as a solvent to keep it in liquid form, so you also use xylene for cleaning the brushes and your hands and the herculiner just dissolves immediatly. Well when I went to clean the brush I used to apply uv protectant the with the xylene, it was like oil and water. The xylene had little effect on the uv coating. So it looks the herculiner and the uv protectant coating are made at least slightly different.

'95 K1500 4x4 Ext Cab
5.7 TBI
Old 08-23-2003, 04:41 AM   #9
Mike76251

I spilled a pint or so of gasoline in my truck bed the other day and I am now glad I have a plastic liner.
Didn't faze it in the least.
Nor has the fact that it is nearly 20 years old.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 03:24 PM   #10
dtlilly
Account Suspended

I was going to go with the Hurkuliner too, but someone told me they had a bad experience with it...they said it was too thin while applying the product. I might go ahead and try it on my 03 Ram. The NHRA drags are coming in town next month, and last year I could have bought the whole system for $95 (show price). If they don't set up a booth this year, I think it can be had from their web site for less than the $150.

Thanks for the advice
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote