The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
vht

King Pins

I need some info on replacing King pins in a 1957 chevy front axle. I've been told they are a floating pin, so does that mean the bushing aren't pressed in? Speedway has them and they have a bearing with them. Is there any machine work involved with the bearing? Also, what size reamer do I need to come up with? Any info would be appreciated.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: King Pins

You need to measure the axle bore to make sure its not gone over size. Then get the correct pin size and have a machine shop press in the bushings and hone the bores to fit the pins. I recommend you get a shop manual to aid in installing them other wise you'll end up with new pins and your steering will still wobble at highway speeds.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
vht

Thank you for the reply.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:08 AM   #4
tmoble

There's a tapered, hardened lockpin that retains the kingpin in the axle. It's usually buried in old grease. The kingpin WILL NOT come out of the axle if you don't find and remove that lockpin. Don't ask how I know this.

The bushings press into the spindle, there's grease holes that have to line up with the zerk fittings on the spindle. After they're in they can be reamed or preferably honed to the correct clearance. I don't recall that number, it'll need to be looked up.

There is a Torrington type bearing that goes between the bottom of the axle and the spindle. Without this there's unacceptably high steering effort. I knew a guy who produced his own bushings and a bronze washer type thing to replace that bearing. It needed two guys to steer it. There's also shims that adjust the vertical play between the spindle and the axle. I can't remember anymore how the grease gets from the lower zerk to the Torrington bearing, there's a passage or drilled hole or something. That bearing is supposed to get grease every time the kingpins are lubed, which should be at every oil change.

I went through all this stuff and the tie rod and steering box fix stuff back in 85 after I bought the truck. After driving it 8 years with the rebuilt stuff I installed a Gen2 Camaro front stub. Aaahhh, what a difference. Turns out there's reasons why buckboard wagons went out of style.

The grease zerks and the holes they screw into will likely be plugged with old dried up grease, needs cleaned out.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
vht

I'm building a gasser. I know the ride and handling won't be the best, but I've wanted since I was 12. Speedway has the king pin set with the bearings. Only problem is I haven't found anyone to ream the bushings. Guess I'll find a hone and do it myself. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #6
tmoble

you can do that. try the bushings on the pins before pressing/pounding them into the spindle. After they're in the spindle they'll be smaller on the ID, that's the honing part. you might able to use a 3 stone wheel cylinder hone.

After you have the bushings installed in the spindle an automotive machine shop that has a Sunnen rod machine can hone them or they might have a reamer. Or, you might find an old reamer on ebay.

if you build a lip around the top of a bushing driving it in just scape it off with whatever you can find. I think I used a chainsaw file. Cheap.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #7
vht

I have a friend that might be able to get a reamer. It'll be at least another wk, lock up clutch went out of my truck today, was suppose to pick the axle up in the morning. That's been my luck here lately. My machine shop said they couldn't do it, if I can't find anybody, I'll do it myself.