The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
Noah96

Gas Guage

Replaced the sending unit in my gas tank and needle will set on 3/4 of a tank turn the key on and roll over to almost E. Any tips on how to fix this.
Noah96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
harpo231

Re: Gas Guage

ground to frame
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
Noah96

So the brown wire going to the sending unit needs to be placed elsewhere?
Old 03-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #4
harpo231

If you pull the brown wire off of the fuse panel where it says FUEL, the gauge should go past full to the three o'clock reading . If you pull the brown wire off at the sending unit and touch it to a good ground then the gauge should read empty. The fuel tank completes the circuit back to the battery for the negative side and it must be grounded to the frame and the sending unit flange must be grounded to the tank.
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah96 View Post
Replaced the sending unit in my gas tank and needle will set on 3/4 of a tank turn the key on and roll over to almost E. Any tips on how to fix this.
What was the condition before you changed the sending unit?

Has anyone restored the gauge cluster or has the needle been removed from the fuel gauge that you know of?

Check your new fuel sender for proper ohm reading of 0-90 ohms.o on empty, 90 on full. You may get a little more than 90 on a full sweep but that is OK. Remove your resistor from the gauge and ohm check. You should have somewhere between 85 and 95 ohms.

Wiring, like others have mentioned, you need good ground to the sender, not to the tank. The sender is isolated from the tank by a rubber o ring and will not get a ground unless it is grounded to the sender itself.

Signal wire, from sender to fuse panel is tan. This wire also runs from the fuse panel to the cluster connector (through the under dash harness) at the #4 position. From there it runs through the circuit board to the gauge.

Make sure there is no paint on the tins that separate the gauge to the cluster body.

Never trust new aftermarket parts to be good right out of the box. They have got better but not 100%.

Let me know if you need further help with this.

Tom

I can repair or replace your fuel gauge if needed.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
Noah96

Guages have not been tampered with as far as I know. The sending unit was bought from classic truck parts. I replaced the new oring between the tank and unit. I have a lock washer a nut and a cork/rubber washer. In what order should these be put together on the sending unit with the tan wire? Or does it matter?