The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
jeffs56

55-59 chevy steering

Hey guys I know it's been talked about alot. But I can't find the answer. I'm wondering what Toyota box I can use on a 56 chevy truck. I prefer a manual bx cuz the power steering conversion I so expensive for the straight axle. Thanks guys
jeffs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:00 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: 55-59 chevy steering

try this little read through. it's for ford but they mount the box the same and their box is behind the axle on a straight axle truck.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...8-1960-trucks/
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
dsraven

it's kinda funny really. everybody says the cpp box conversion is too pricey. how much did they already spend on other truck stuff? engine and trans upgrades, wheels and tires, body parts, custom seats, special paint effects, suspension? it seems like the steering box conversion would be high on my list of things do do first. that and power disc brakes. if you wanna go fast (faster than stock straight axle, standard steering and drum brakes) then you should be able to steer and stop really well too. power steering is a given these days because it seems like waaaay more often people have to rely on the p/s and p/b to get them out of a bind in a hurry. traffic ain't what it used to be for sure.
in the end it is your truck and you should do what you think is best for you and proper to drive on the roads with the rest of us.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
jeffs56

That would make sense but it's not just the box, it's also lines and a power steering pump and also a brake booster and master cylinder and a steering g column too hook up to the new box. Or rework the original column. I'm saying it gets pricey going that route for the straight axle, compared to possible using that money for IFS. I'm really trying to use the dropped axle but I'll also need power brakes
jeffs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
dsraven

yup, that's what I mean. you can use the dropped axle but you will probably want discs up front at some point, especially if you drive in the city much with everybody cutting in front of you. you will want to stop fast at least. so the cost of the dropped axle all in. then the cost of the disc brake conversion, all in. if you decide to go with the stock drums up front then keep in mind you may want to upgrade to discs sooner than later. add the kit, all in. then, you will likely want to have power brakes as well, soon, so add that in. then, if you drive it much, you will likely want power steering. add that kit in with all costs. you will soon see that it adds up fast and at the end of the day you are still driving around with a solid axle. not saying that's a bad thing just saying it's not likely as smooth. personal note.
now you have all those costs added up compare that to a bolt in IFS and add all the costs in for that, like the power steering pump, hoses etc etc. keep in mind that a used p/s pump and brackets is not that spendy at the wrecker if you have a common engine that would come with p/s at some point. also add in the cost of wheel upgrade because the IFS would normally come with 5 stud wheels.
it's not like I manufacture and sell IFS, just see a lot of guys spending cash on stuff for the stock platform and then that cash is set aside as used parts later when they want to upgrade to a more modern system