The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2017, 11:27 PM   #1
vintovka

Seat Belts and bench seats?

Nearing completion on the 54 3100 and time for new belts. Which 3 pt retractable belt set work best? In the past the part that passes thru between the bottom and back seat has been a problem. Especially when you need to pull the bottom seat to access tools and stuff. I see many of the newer 3pt have a wire/cable that looks too short to reach an attachment point (especially if seat is moved way forward),
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:51 AM   #2
wolffcub

Re: Seat Belts and bench seats?

Im using the 3 point kit from brothers. When i got it they sent me the wrong lap belts in the kit and they were too short. the buckle was night in the crack of the seat. They told me to call the actual manufactures of the belts so i did and i got the right length ones free in about a week. The buckles stick out now about 6". Its a great kit and easy to install.

If it aint broke I still try to fix it!
wolffcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
72Mountaineer

I took my bench seat and belts out of a 1993 Silverado.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
whitedog76

Probably not what you're looking for, but it'll get the job done.

http://corbeau.com/other/harness-bel...ness-belt.html
Attached Images

whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
iowaboynca

Juliano's have good stuff but can be pricey. Below is a hyperlink from Deve's Technical Network on AD trucks on installation . As a shout-out to Deve, great stuff. Much more on the restoration side of things but great information, nonetheless.

http://devestechnet.com/Home/SeatBelts
Old 01-20-2017, 01:26 AM   #6
mr48chev

My students put seat belts in my 48 after my wife fell out when the door popped open while I was taking her to work. She still packs some scars from that 38 years later.

We pulled the seat back out and mounted the belts behind the seat. I don't think the belts that we used had retracters that time. The truck has a different set of belts in it now.

And yes the belts are a slight pain to deal with when you pull the cushion out to get under the seat where we all stash stuff but not near the pain of watching a loved one get gravel pulled out of their knees, legs and arms at the emergency room .

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
dsraven

I have read a few posts on this forum about seat belts and have seen a few different mounting locations and methods once completed. I have to say there is some scary stuff out there. please remember that the body on these old trucks, while heavier guage steel then a newer vehicle, was not meant to secure seat belts to for the shoulder strap. with that in mind (and also mr48's incident) there will need to be some substantial reinforcement done in order for the seat belt mounting areas to stay intact and secure in the case of an accident. if you have ever tried to cut the body near a seat belt anchor on a newer vehicle you will find some significant reinforcement steel to back up the mounting area. I know this because I am a firefighter and have had to cut numerous people out of their cars after an accident. crews will cut well above or below the anchor because they know it takes considerably less time and is easier on the cutting tool which they may need for another patient. some of the reinforcement plates I have seen here are barely larger than the nut they support. there is no use spending all that time and effort installing the backing if it is going to tear out in an accident anyway. just remember, it is you and your loved ones that you are trying to keep inside the vehicle and away from that nice STEEL dash (notice I didn't say dash PAD). if you design it then you will be the one that is liable.
please guys, lets do some engineering before we jump in.
in my truck I am planning on using a newer style GM seat with the belts in the seat. the floor area under the seat mounts will be reinforced and will have a cable anchoring the seat mounting bolt to the truck frame. I know, guys will argue that these trucks are a death trap if an accident happens. solid steering column shafts and steel dash boards, no crumple zones built into the body, weak A and B posts etc.well, we drive them anyway so lets be as safe as we can.they don't call them accidents for nothing, they just happen.
end of rant, carry on.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #8
vintovka

Thinking of adding a twist to the belt install. The truck running boards are a whopping 27" off the deck and I need a place to grab onto (other than the steering wheel -which is a Big NO NO). My idea is to add a exterior grab rail between the door and the corner window. The top bolt would retain the end of the inside Seat Belt attachment. I plan to add power steps to help too - I am old and shrinking!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714917
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:25 AM   #9
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

I got my 3-point belts from here. The lap portion is longer than most and will easily reach without extensions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-67-Chev...lX6rym&vxp=mtr
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
mr48chev

We ran two pieces of 2 ft or so long 1-1/2 x 3/16 (that is what I had in the shop) flat bar across under the cab and used that to run the seat belt bolts though. No inside gas tank in my truck so it was rather simple.. The belts held pretty good when we spun out in the rain when my daughter kicked the automatic in reverse in a rain storm and went in the bar ditch backwards. That was just before the N-50 14 rear tires went away.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:39 AM   #11
Groyd

I got mine made for my '57 at seatbeltplanet. Made here in Oklahoma. Unbelievably nice people working there. I would definitely use them again. I did a three point belt.

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com
1971 2WD Blazer - Sold
Groyd is offline   Reply With Quote