The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #101
MattPSU

Re: Crocodile Rocks Build Thread

I broke it all down then she was off to paint! Thanks to Nick for the ride!

My friend Mark owns a body shop and I made a deal with him to paint my truck. He doesn't have room to do a full on restoration, and I don't have the money for that. So we agreed to paint my truck in pieces, as I have money and as he has time.

We agreed with the engine out and the clip off, now was the time to paint the firewall, the tops of the inner fenders and the inside of the fenders. Hopefully next fall we'll paint the interior of the cab, jams, et., then we can pain the outside of the truck all at once after that.

The other part of the deal was that I would help with the body work and that we'd work on it in the evenings and weekends.

Mark and I prepped everything for paint, and my wife picked out the color - BMW Deep Sea Metallic.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #102
MattPSU

Once ready, we roller her into the booth for some sealer before Mark started to lay down some color. I got to hang out in the booth and watch the paint go on which was awesome.

I had picked up a set of Holley LS Coil cover and Mark painted those and the wire harness cover while we were at it.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

Old 01-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #103
MattPSU

Some shots of Mark painting and the final look after clear. It's a lot darker than my old faded PSU hat, but I think it's just about the right color!
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #104
Troy Sr

Great Build Subscribed!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #105
MattPSU

In between work and being at Mark's body shop, I cleaned up and painted the engine & transmission.

I also started on the wire harness. I used the instructions on LT1Swap.com to thin out and extend my harness. This was time consuming and tedious at times, but in the long run I was really happy with it. I think I have 25-30 hours in it at least. I planed to relocate the PCM, supplementary fuse panel and relays under the dash. I picked up a 3" firewall grommet to run everything through.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #106
MattPSU

I invited my buddies Paul and Clay over, and before you knew it, the engine and transmission were in their new home!

I finally started it for the first time last night. With no water and no exhaust I didn't want to run it real long, but she fired up (once I figured out my filter was hooked up wrong) and ran a minute or so.

Lots more to do before I can hit the road with it. Mark and I still need to finish the fenders, it needs a drive shaft, exhaust and an air intake & filter, but I can see the short term finish line at the moment.

Needless to say, even though I've done a lot of this work by myself, I couldn't do any of it without the help of so many people. Paul has been a huge help every step of the way. Ed & Tommy have helped me with welding stuff, Clay, Shawn, Kevin and Derrick with LS swap stuff, Heath and Chris with everything really, and so many others from the truck club who have offered input and feedback along the way. I'm sure I missed someone. Plus Pro Performance and Tommy's Pickup Parts have been my go to source for most all of the parts. And of course, without my wife Missy, none of it would be possible!
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #107
slowcpe

Looking good! You've been quite busy.

What brand is your core support and inner fenders? Have any fitment issues?
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:58 PM   #108
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
Looking good! You've been quite busy.

What brand is your core support and inner fenders? Have any fitment issues?
Thanks! The support and fender are both Counter Parts brand. They needed some work, but it wasn't the nightmare I was expecting. I looked for a decent 68 passenger fender, but ran out of time before I needed to get them to the painter. After reading horror stories online, I expected them to fight me more, but I only had to trim one small place on the support, two of the holes on the fender had to be opened up and the front lip had to be reshaped a little. All in all it was a lot less work than repairing the original parts.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:41 AM   #109
sduckworth13

Looks awesome Matt! That blue color is a great looking color! Good luck on getting everything done.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:23 PM   #110
kitsbeach

You make it look easy.! Following along for the LS updates.

1967 C10 LWB (now SWB) Fleetside 6cyl Saginaw three-on-the-tree "No Frills"
kitsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #111
MattPSU

Here are some shots of it as it went back together.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #112
MattPSU

A few more shots of it mostly back together. I decided to add the Chevrolet script logos to the oil covers.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #113
MattPSU

In January, my sister, Mandy, had a heart attack and passed away at just 33. She was healthy but had a genetic condition with her heart that no one knew about. She was passionate about baking, and her friends called her the Cupcake Queen. I had some small cupcake stickers with a hidden "M" made in her honor. Hopefully she'll ride with me and keep me safe.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #114
kitsbeach

That is awful about your sister. So sorry to hear.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #115
Mapearso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPSU View Post
In January, my sister, Mandy, had a heart attack and passed away at just 33. She was healthy but had a genetic condition with her heart that no one knew about. She was passionate about baking, and her friends called her the Cupcake Queen. I had some small cupcake stickers with a hidden "M" made in her honor. Hopefully she'll ride with me and keep me safe.
Nice tribute
So sorry for your loss
Mapearso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #116
sduckworth13

Sorry to hear that your sister passed Matt.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #117
flashed

Sorry for your loss ,cool tribute and guardian angel.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #118
mcbassin
Still Learning

So sorry for your Loss Matt. I can only imagine the shock and sorrow. That's so cool for you to have a tribute cupcake.

Awesome work on your truck! The paint and engine looks great.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #119
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsbeach View Post
That is awful about your sister. So sorry to hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapearso View Post
Nice tribute
So sorry for your loss
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Sorry to hear that your sister passed Matt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Sorry for your loss ,cool tribute and guardian angel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
So sorry for your Loss Matt. I can only imagine the shock and sorrow. That's so cool for you to have a tribute cupcake.

Awesome work on your truck! The paint and engine looks great.
Thanks everyone. It's been a tough start to the year, that's for sure. I appreciate the feedback on the cupcake. I'm not really a memorial kind of guy, but it's subtle and personal.

Finishing up things on my C10 the last couple of weeks has been a much needed distraction. At first I didn't even want to go in the garage, but eventually I found that getting back to my routine was helpful.

I've also started to take some steps towards making sure I'm OK. I saw my doctor last week, and just had a calcium CT heart scan this afternoon. Hopefully the results will come back OK, but if not, now I'll know what I need to do.

Please take a minute today to tell the loved ones in your life how much they mean to you. There's no telling what tomorrow brings.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:25 AM   #120
kitsbeach

Yeah I gotta say that having a good hobby like these trucks helps keep me in the moment when times are tough. And I gotta say that your skill in the underhood cleanup is amazing.!!

I was flipping through the posts and saw the paint go on under there then the whole truck back together shop-truck-style and said WOW..!!

I like her just the way she sits right now, but I am also sure you've got some more plans for it. Keep us posted.!

Old 03-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #121
kitsbeach

Which rad and shroud are you running.? That is the stock LS fan I am assuming.? It looks perfect.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #122
Justin@EntropyRad

The color-keyed intake cover is awesome!
Sales/Support
Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
"The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods" - www.EntropyRad.com www.speedcooling.com
Justin@EntropyRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:45 PM   #123
MattPSU

Quote:
Yeah I gotta say that having a good hobby like these trucks helps keep me in the moment when times are tough. And I gotta say that your skill in the underhood cleanup is amazing.!!

I was flipping through the posts and saw the paint go on under there then the whole truck back together shop-truck-style and said WOW..!!

I like her just the way she sits right now, but I am also sure you've got some more plans for it. Keep us posted.!
Thanks! It will eventually get painted, but I wanted to drive it this summer. My grandfather restored cars - Packards, Hudsons, Chrysler Air Flows, etc. And he usually sold a car soon after being finished. He didn't get to enjoy driving them much. I know that working on them is the fun part for a lot of people, but I also want to drive my truck. So when I have money to work, I work. When I want to drive it, I put it back together and enjoy driving it.

Quote:
Which rad and shroud are you running.? That is the stock LS fan I am assuming.? It looks perfect.
It's the stock '72 two row radiator and shroud and the stock 5.3l mechanical fan. I modified the original shroud to work. Eventually I'd like to upgrade to an aluminum radiator and electric fans, but I was trying to save some money towards the end of this part of my build. I was also told I couldn't make it all work. That made me determined to make it work. For the record, it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@EntropyRad View Post
The color-keyed intake cover is awesome!
Thanks. Although I can't claim that idea as my own. I've seen that done several times before.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #124
Hartje

Hey Matt, do you have any updates on your build!?

Your 30 second youtube video has pretty much sold me on air suspension. Keep on Keepin' on! Great Work!
Hartje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:55 PM   #125
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartje View Post
Hey Matt, do you have any updates on your build!?

Your 30 second youtube video has pretty much sold me on air suspension. Keep on Keepin' on! Great Work!
THANKS! I've been driving it some this summer. Our local truck club is pretty active and we do something every month. I also hit up local cruise ins and use it to run errands. Nothing puts a smile on my face more than seeing people's reactions to seeing my air suspension drop when I pull in and the reaction they have when I open the hood. No one expects it to be a show truck under the hood!

Below are some pictures from a few outings.
Attached Images