The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2018, 12:14 AM   #1
WoodTruck

New to forum first squarebody

Hey Guys, just wanted to share my latest purchase. 1984 k20 350/SM465. Just here to find more information and learn my way around a squarebody. I’ve been a Chevy guy my whole life and been riding around in them since before my feet could touch the floorboards. Let me know what you think.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

WoodTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:40 AM   #2
Greenlee

Re: New to forum first squarebody

Nice looking truck! Welcome.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:43 AM   #3
4x4k30

Welcome to the squarebody world.. you are off all ready to a good start 3/4 ton and 4x4 and get used to carrying a set of tools and spare parts and first thing I see that needs to be replaced are the front automatic hubs
Old 02-14-2018, 12:57 AM   #4
WoodTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4k30 View Post
Welcome to the squarebody world.. you are off all ready to a good start 3/4 ton and 4x4 and get used to carrying a set of tools and spare parts and first thing I see that needs to be replaced are the front automatic hubs
P/O said the hubs work good. But I know my dad swapped out his on his 84. I’m in somewhat uncharted territory with these trucks. What’s the most common swap? Warns?
Old 02-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #5
Bandit130

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
Greenlee

Hardcore four wheelers don’t like the auto hubs. On prior trucks I’ve owned I switched to manual hubs. I left the auto hubs on my current truck. I’ve had the truck for years and have never had a problem with them. Maybe I’m just getting older and don’t want to get in and out to lock and unlock the hubs. I wouldn’t worry about changing them unless they are giving you problems.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
WoodTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
Hardcore four wheelers don’t like the auto hubs. On prior trucks I’ve owned I switched to manual hubs. I left the auto hubs on my current truck. I’ve had the truck for years and have never had a problem with them. Maybe I’m just getting older and don’t want to get in and out to lock and unlock the hubs. I wouldn’t worry about changing them unless they are giving you problems.
This isn’t going to be a wheeler so they should be fine for now. First thing is get it tuned up and clean up some wiring. It’s got remnants of an old propane kit that needs junked. Then I plan on doing all belts and hoses. Oh and getting a working radio. I appreciate all the good commments!
Old 02-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
IllinoisK30

Welcome to the site! Nice looking unit, very useful with that flatbed. I agree on the auto hubs. If they are not giving you any headaches just leave them be.
IllinoisK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #9
Dead Parrot

Welcome. Cab interior looks in good shape. 2nd the don't replace working stuff suggestion. You already have a to do list. Do that first. By then, you might get other ideas for what you want to do or the truck may tell you about your next project. Might see if anyone wants the remains of the propane system before tossing in trash.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #10
WoodTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Welcome. Cab interior looks in good shape. 2nd the don't replace working stuff suggestion. You already have a to do list. Do that first. By then, you might get other ideas for what you want to do or the truck may tell you about your next project. Might see if anyone wants the remains of the propane system before tossing in trash.

Thank you!

I don’t have any of the old injection. It’s just remnants of hoses and valves and wiring.