The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #26
Vic1947

Re: 68 C10 SBSS build - start to finish

The inner cowl lip that forms the pinchweld flange behind the firewall was rotted out over nearly the full width of the firewall. I couldn't find a patch panel for it, so that meant I'd have to make my own. Out on the ends where I'd sectioned the cowl, I used a stretcher and shrinker to form the curved pieces and then welded them in. After the inner cowl repair on the passenger side was complete, I shot a heavy coat of undercoating on the inside and welded it all together.

Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #27
Xeen

You have had to repair alot of rust on that cab so far, most people probably would have just shot it.
Im impressed with the amount of work you are willing to take on to make it right.
You are doing good work, I cant wait to see the cab whole again its going to be a beauty.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #28
Vic1947

Thanks, Brian. Looks like you have some work ahead of you also! Good luck, I'll be watching your build.

After welding the passenger side cowl back on, I noticed a few tiny pinholes I'd missed while fixing the kickpanels and the underside of the outer cowl. Lots of times when trying to weld pinholes with a TIG, it turns into a goat rodeo. So what I did was use aluminum tape like HVAC techs use on heat ducts to seal those areas. Used a plastic squeegee to nail it down and then sprayed undercoating over it for an additional layer of protection. Not quite as sturdy as roofing shingles, Steve, but a bit more aesthetically pleasing. I hope that years down the road I don't regret it, but it seems like a durable solution.

Repaired the driver side cowl much the same as the passenger side, although it took more work on the rain diverters as they were nearly gone. Then with the work done on the outer cowling, I was able to fit the final patch for the pinchweld flange into place.

Attached Images

Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #29
VA72C10
VA72C10

Great work!
Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #30
Low Elco

Maaan, I thought we cut a lot out of Yeller! Great work!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #31
Vic1947

By mid September, 2011 I'd buttoned up the inner cowl and drip gutter and was ready to fit the outer cowl vent cover. I'd noticed when I bought the truck that the driver side fit very nicely, however the passenger side stuck out by about 5/16" or more which made the gap around the base of the A pillar look really bad. So I sectioned out that area and repositioned it for a better fit. Unfortunately, I relied on corner to corner measurements on the front edge and would have to revisit it much later during final assembly. More on that in a future post.

After re-working the cowl vent cover, I took a short break to make a dash modification. I'd picked up a Custom Autosound radio from Classic Parts that would fit in the radio opening I'd previously repaired. It has a USB port that you can use to play MP3's from a thumb drive. It was attached to the radio with a short cord that was probably meant to dangle under the dash. After looking at it for a while, I thought it might be more convenient to have the port located on the front of the dash by the radio. So I cut a small window to the right of the radio and built a little bracket to hold the USB socket. I then spotwelded the bracket in place later on.

Attached Images

Old 11-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #32
Vic1947

Another mod I wanted to make was to the side marker lights. I'd decided early on that I'd prefer to smooth out the lights by moving them behind the fenders instead of mounting them on top as they come from the factory. I started out researching LED light assemblies that could be flush mounted, but was turned off by the cost and procedural issues. If you ever have a diode go bad and the assembly is glued, you're screwed.

So instead of LED's I reused the stock lights by sectioning out about 3/4" and joining them back together. I sent my buddy Steve Smith from Sedalia a .dxf file with a drawing of the plates I would need to cover the existing openings. He had them laser cut for me out of .063" mild steel plate. I then welded them into the openings and after a lot of work with a hammer and dolly and a shrinking disc, I had the look I wanted.

Attached Images

Old 11-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #33
Vic1947

I ultimately repeated the procedure on all four fenders which took quite a long time. Even using silicon bronze as a filler and welding only about 1/4" at a time, the surrounding area will warp and require a lot of massaging to get it back where it started.

Attached Images

Old 11-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #34
Xeen

I really like the forethought with the stereo that USB port is the key to the whole system.
I was curious why you decided to go with standard lenses because the custom lenses would have looked really nice with the chrome lip protruding out through the slots.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #35
Vic1947

Main reason was so I could shorten the height of the lens assembly. I like the SS trim around the custom lights (which is what I started with), but keeping the trim meant either it would protrude or the lenses would be recessed more than I wanted. So since I was shooting for a somewhat "flush" look, I not only sectioned the lamp assemblies, but I also milled off the raised lip that holds on the SS trim.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #36
Xeen

Hmm I guess I will have to wait to see some pictures of the finished product so I can see what exactly you have in mind there unless that last picture is what its supposed to look like minus paint.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #37
Vic1947

By the end of 2011, I'd roughed in some of the bodywork, but it was making such a mess with the doors closed due to cold weather, I took a break and started building the exhaust system. I had previously set the engine and trans in place, so I began by laying out pieces on the floor to get an idea of what worked. I started with a 2.5" SS, mandrel bent, universal kit from Flowmaster. It showed a suggested layout, but by swapping a couple of the pieces around I was better able to route it around my crossmembers.

For best results with stainless tubing, it's recommended to purge the inside of the tubing with argon. I picked up a nice little kit that incorporated double silicone sealing discs with a sintered bronze diffuser in the middle. I would pull it past the first butt joint about 6", seal off the other end, leaving a small hole to let the purge gas slowly escape. At that point, I could weld the seam using a minimum of weld rod. In fact, most joints were done without any filler at all.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #38
67cheby
67cheby

wow..nice work
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #39
Vic1947

After finishing the exhaust, I had a few more odds and ends projects I needed to tidy up. I'd found a super deal on an exact fit aluminum radiator online, but when it arrived and I set it in place, my buddy Steve pointed out that with the top bracket in place, there was no way to get a radiator cap on it. So I had to cut the top of the tank off, carefully remove the fill neck and relocate it 5/8" further outboard. While I was at it, I clocked the overflow tube so I could hide the hose connecting it to the overflow tank.

Also, Inline Tube does not offer trans cooling lines for these trucks when converting to a 200-4R. So I had them ship me the ones for a TH350 and then spliced in flex lines to extend them out.

The insides of the doors had been butchered to fit speakers into them and rather than try to fix the holes and all the dents, I made a cover piece from sheet aluminum. Marked out a design and had my bud, Keith Daleen at Southpaw Customs help me roll an offset along the marks.

Seems like there were a hundred of these little things that needed fixing, but by the end of January, 2012 I was back doing bodywork.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #40
Vic1947

March rolled around and the bodywork was in full speed ahead mode. I'd set a goal of attending the Car Craft Summernationals in St. Paul, MN the third week of July and the truck was still in a lot of pieces. I knew I'd need to be done even earlier so I could shake everything down before driving that kind of distance. So to prepare, in a manner of speaking, I decided my first show would be the Classic Car Show in Sedalia, MO put on by the West Central Missouri Vintage Auto Club.

As if repairing my own patches, etc. wasn't enough, I also had to deal with the aftermarket items as well. But finally, I was at the point I could begin laying down the epoxy primer. Since the epoxy I was using was a two part type, it requires a minimum temperature to catalyze. In March, warm days are still rare, but I lucked into a nice day and was able to get the major items shot. By late afternoon it was cooling off, so I moved everything back in the garage and turned every heater I had up full blast to help the epoxy cure overnight.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #41
Vic1947

With the brackets in place for the retractable cupholder and USB port and a good coat of epoxy on the underside of the dash, it was time to do the final prep for the firewall. I'd had it mocked up a couple of times, but when you get ready to actually start welding, it made me nervous wondering what I might be forgetting.

I quickly discovered my spotwelder wasn't able to fit in the narrow space between the cowl and the drip gutter flange. I ended up making a custom electrode that just barely got into the tight quarters. I don't know how the factory did it, but this was my solution.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #42
Xeen

That was good thinking on the electrode.
I really like this project and I cant wait to see more.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #43
Low Elco

Wow-Mad skills! Fantastic work! Wish I had half your tools. What do you do for a living?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #44
Low Elco

Wow, Mad skills! I wish I had half your tools. What do you do for a living?

Sorry, double post!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #45
Vic1947

Armed with my modified spotwelder, I clamped the firewall onto the surrounding flanges. I started on the bottom edge where it mated to the floorpan and worked my way up both sides. Before doing the top, I fit the forward frame braces I'd had to remove in order to make way for the firewall. There were some well placed openings in the general vicinity that allowed me to get the spotwelder in for a nice factory look. I doubt I have more than a half dozen stainless rivets in the entire truck where I should have spotwelds. There were some places I was just not able to reach with my setup, so I was forced to use blind rivets. Fortunately, none of them are visible. The only visible rivets are the countersunk ones in the lower door panels, and those I wanted to show.

The firewall was the last major piece of sheetmetal to go in. At this point I had shot several coats of high build primer on all the parts and blocked them smooth. Everything was ready for paint, but I knew I didn't have a suitable environment for doing it myself. The ceiling in my workshop is fairly low and I didn't want to build a makeshift booth. I've painted many cars over the years and one thing I know is that modern clearcoats attract a lot of dust. In anything other than a well ventilated booth you'll end up sanding out too many dust nibs and bugs.

I'd shopped around for a place that would paint it for me, but most high end shops sent me packing. I understand their reluctance because when I was doing a lot of paint and body in my younger years, it was not unusual for someone to ask me to shoot a vehicle that was "ready to go". When it got to my shop it was anything but ready. Still, I had one quote for $13,500 and I realized things have changed a lot over the years. My wife's sister had a local shop do a couple of repairs to her car and the work was very high quality. So in mid March, I struck a deal with Precision Collision in Gladstone to paint it for me. We ferried all the parts to them and they began the process of squirting everything inside and out. I can't say enough what a great job they did!
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #46
Vic1947

Thanks, Brian and Chip. I'm retired now, but half my life was spent as an engineer in the oil patch and when that went in the crapper in the mid-80's, I re-invented myself as a software sales engineer. Along the way I met a guy named Bruce Wilson who owned a precision machine shop and like me was a drag racer. We were both overly anal and hit it off immediately. He became one of my best buds and took me under his wing. Taught me most everything I know about running a lathe and a mill. Another good friend, John Harrison taught me how to TIG weld, build headers, narrow rearends and do custom sheetmetal work. So I've been extremely fortunate to meet some people willing to mentor me. The rest is just practice. As for the tools, I figured out early on that for what most shops charge to do a job, I could buy the tools and do it myself. Then when the job was done, I had the tool for life.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #47
Xeen

LOL well no matter what year it is someone is always going to be dishonest as hell and try and rip people off, $13,500 is outragous I would have literally laughed in the guys face then asked him what kind of drugs he was on. I cant imagine paying more than $4,000 for a high quality paint job if the body work really is done right and they dont have to touch it and all they have to do is spray it, because as you know most of the labor cost is the prep work, yes the paint depending on the quality is expensive but not that expensive.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #48
Vic1947

You're spot on with what I ended up paying. They provided the materials and wet sanded the panels with 1500 grit, then polished them out for that as well. Just a great job overall and really nice folks to boot!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #49
Low Elco

Uncle Matt works for Carstar (Production Manager) in Smithville. He has dealt with Precision a bunch and has nothing but good things to say. Great that you found good craftsmen willing to not only share, but teach. Great skills and work!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #50
gdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post

Thanks, Brian. Looks like you have some work ahead of you also! Good luck, I'll be watching your build.

After welding the passenger side cowl back on, I noticed a few tiny pinholes I'd missed while fixing the kickpanels and the underside of the outer cowl. Lots of times when trying to weld pinholes with a TIG, it turns into a goat rodeo. So what I did was use aluminum tape like HVAC techs use on heat ducts to seal those areas. Used a plastic squeegee to nail it down and then sprayed undercoating over it for an additional layer of protection. Not quite as sturdy as roofing shingles, Steve, but a bit more aesthetically pleasing. I hope that years down the road I don't regret it, but it seems like a durable solution.

Repaired the driver side cowl much the same as the passenger side, although it took more work on the rain diverters as they were nearly gone. Then with the work done on the outer cowling, I was able to fit the final patch for the pinchweld flange into place.

cool metal work. looks great
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote