The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
turbostar

radio theft deterent feature

I have read the owners manual on my 2006 Silverado concerning the radio theft deterent(theftlock). Very confusing to a simple mind like mine. Apparently the system can be deactivated but I find no explanation how to deactivate it. If I read correctly, it needs to be deactivated prior to changing batteries. Any help on how to deactivate? TIA
turbostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
GM-power

Re: radio theft deterent feature

I haven't messed with a theftlock radio in awhile, 03 and up are different than the old style ones that you pull the code out of. The radios are vin matched to the BCM. Are you concerned that the radio will be locked when you replace the battery? I haven't had the newer style lock on me, unless you leave the battery out for an extended period of time. You'll be fine for a quick battery change.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
turbostar

Yes, my concern was having the radio locked when/if I need to change the battery. There apparently is a way to disable the theft feature which is what I would like to do(not worried about radio theft). I bought a Haynes manual(understanding it is not the best source), and it describes a way to disable the theft feature. Unfortunately, the Haynes procedure makes no sense. It talks about "your secret code" with no explanation of what that code is. I appreciate your experience saying that for a quick battery change there will be no problem, but if there is a way to disable I would like to do it.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
GM-power

Okay, I had to refresh my memory abit. Like I said the theftlock on your model is vin matched; the BCM reads that each ignition cycle. If they don't match it locks. So you will never have a issue with it locking. You can disable the old style theftlock radios as you say by pulling the code out etc.. but with your vin match style there is no codes. So the only way if possible would be through a tech 2. I hope that helps a little, the only info with a quick battery change that would be lost is the time and possibly your radio station presets. Otherwise you could get a back up power supply that plugs into the cigarette lighter while you change it, or change it while the truck is running.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #5
turbostar

GM power, it's guys like you that make this board such a valuable resource. Basically, it sounds like the only time I would run into trouble is if I changed the radio to a different vin vehicle. Thanks for clearing up a confusing(to me) issue.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
GM-power

It's what we're all here for man. Your correct on that, even then you can program it to a new vin. You'll have to have access to tech 2 for that.