The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2024, 01:06 PM   #5376
dsraven

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

I have wondered if a motor head could be taken apart, like the motor removed, then the gear head mounted in place and a remote mounted motor could be used with a small driveshaft up to the gear head. I know, there are some of these already built but they have a cable driven unit and, for me, I sometimes will drive when there is snow. eventually, when I get the project done....
my dash is far from stock since I am using a GMC envoy for a donor floor and firewall. I would like to use (will use somehow) the envoy wiper motor since it will have multiple speeds and pause etc. where I live the weather changes quickly so you just never know when it will downpour (or snow) so reliable wipers are a must.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 01:07 PM   #5377
dsraven

I have wondered if a motor head could be taken apart, like the motor removed, then the gear head mounted in place and a remote mounted motor could be used with a small driveshaft up to the gear head. I know, there are some of these already built but they have a cable driven unit and, for me, I sometimes will drive when there is snow. eventually, when I get the project done....
my dash is far from stock since I am using a GMC envoy for a donor floor and firewall. I would like to use (will use somehow) the envoy wiper motor since it will have multiple speeds and pause etc. where I live the weather changes quickly so you just never know when it will downpour (or snow) so reliable wipers are a must.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:33 PM   #5378
nvrdone

Jweb: I have the raingear setup with that switch. Unfortunatly with that switch in the stock location the electrical plugs rub on the motor.
I dont plan on driving the truck if there is any chance of rain or snow, but if I get caught in a summer down pour, wipers would be nice. The other thing is our county sheriff department will stop older vehicles and if they dont have working equipment they will issue a ticket. I got stopped for only having one tail light. Fortunatly I had a wiring diagram that proved the truck only cane with one light so I got off with a warning.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 01:42 PM   #5379
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
Jweb: I have the raingear setup with that switch. Unfortunatly with that switch in the stock location the electrical plugs rub on the motor.
I dont plan on driving the truck if there is any chance of rain or snow, but if I get caught in a summer down pour, wipers would be nice. The other thing is our county sheriff department will stop older vehicles and if they dont have working equipment they will issue a ticket. I got stopped for only having one tail light. Fortunatly I had a wiring diagram that proved the truck only cane with one light so I got off with a warning.
That's interesting. I don't remember any wires rubbing. I'll take another look.

I put this setup in for the same reason, getting caught in a down pour. I drove back from Bend,OR in a rain/ lighting storm back in 2022. I wasn't impressed by this setup but I got home.

Hoping to be up in your area in May, https://www.eastwenatcheewa.gov/185/...arade-Car-Show
Depends on weather.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 01:56 PM   #5380
leegreen

I have a very similar home brew wiper setup, but I used the original vacuum motor mount points and designed it to work with the original links and pivots.

I studied the raingear install, it puts the motor in a different location under the dash than I used, but there is a note about 'correct orientation points down'. That implies it might be possible to install it wrong?
Raingears sells a small switch and an intermittent version that is much larger - with no notes about fit problems with either.

Tempest67 - do you have the 2 speed raingear system with only one speed hooked up? raingear notes that you cannot use a GM column with their system
my experience is similar, I used a 2 speed 5 wire motor from a 2000s dodge RAM as it was small - it appears very similar to the raingear motor. a Toyota motor I had worked identical: you put power to L, H or park and that is how the aftermarket rotary switches work. my 80s GM column switch would not park this style of wiper without adding some relays -or wiring it as a single speed system. That column provides power to Park when the switch is in Low
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 02:16 PM   #5381
unclebrad

Got the automatic transmission column shift indicator pointer, that I modeled in 3D, back from my friend who has a 3D printer. (Sometimes I get so excited about the smallest things...)

My friend had yellow filament in his printer that day but no problem - I will paint the neck and head red. Gotta paint the other parts too, and reassemble everything. Its still a bit cold for painting, so that will have to wait for now.

BTW, I’d be happy to share the 3D file with anyone who needs that little pointer. These days, it is likely that everyone knows someone with a 3D printer, and this is a good alternative to buying one, if you can even find one for a reasonable price. (The last OEM one I saw on ebay, the guy wanted $85!) Just message me or email me with your email address.
Attached Images

Last edited by unclebrad; 01-22-2024 at 05:43 PM.
unclebrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 02:30 PM   #5382
leegreen

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wZgwPui6drxohaoNA

short video of it running a couple years ago when it was partially built. it is on the road and working now. With the near vertical windsield, all I usually need in summer rain is the lowest speed on the intermittent wipe control. Low speed for hard rain. high speed on the motor.....honestly if it was raining that hard I'd probably pull over

it looks a lot simpler than it is. This is after several iterations on the original design. When i started I thought it would be relatively easy, little measuring, little math-ing, cut weld and done. Wrong, I'm not as smart as I thought! The timing and lengths of each component are critical. I'm also not convinced that the OEM vacuum setup gave a full wipe on both sides.

I only have about $50 invested but probably a month of spare time. if I did it again I'd maybe use a single speed rear wiper or just spend the bucks and buy the after market stuff.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 05:28 PM   #5383
nvrdone

my system works great after a little adjustment. Had the truck sitting outside in the snow (don't shoot me for that) and the wipers cleared the windshield just fine in both speeds. I didnt drive it because I live on a hill and was afraid of getting back home.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:33 PM   #5384
nvrdone

jweb: I'd like to meet up with you, but at that time we will be into about a month long road trip - not in the truck.
Going from Yakima to New Orleans with many stops in between. Should be fun.
Old 01-22-2024, 10:49 PM   #5385
R&B51

Thanks, jweb that is a relief!
Does the stock knob just fit right on the post coming out of that switch? Did you have to modify it?
That might be useful to me, but also to nvrdone if could help him to swap for this switch?
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 12:38 AM   #5386
nvrdone

I'm using the knob that came with the kit. I'm going to try to drill & tap a factory knob. But that's for later
Old 01-24-2024, 11:19 AM   #5387
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B51 View Post
Thanks, jweb that is a relief!
Does the stock knob just fit right on the post coming out of that switch? Did you have to modify it?
That might be useful to me, but also to nvrdone if could help him to swap for this switch?
I don't recall having to modify the knob. It's been about 5 years but it seems like it went right on.

I'll take a look when I can get to my truck, my garage is a mess right now.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:44 PM   #5388
nvrdone

So I continued working on the wiper install. I found that the bottom of the knob hit the top of the wiper motor which caused me to think about a possible short or fire. So I made a 1/4" spacer out of some scrap ABS. It fits between the mounting bracket on the cab and the motor giving enough room that the motor doesn't touch the switch. after testing the operation I find the arms to the wipers rub on the windshield defrost vents. So tomorrow I can tweek them and hopefully this project will be done.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:05 AM   #5389
MARTINSR

Hey guys, back on my 5 minute a day plan in 2024! Tack welded these pieces on the hood last night.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 03:11 PM   #5390
crossfire84

does going out to the pole barn count?��
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 03:43 PM   #5391
dsraven

it does if you thought about your truck, if there are truck parts out there, if there used to be truck parts out there, or if you went out there by mistake cuz you were thinking about your truck. haha.
Old 02-10-2024, 03:44 PM   #5392
dsraven

sitting on my balcony in Puerto Vallarta and thinking about how i will build something on my truck, that counts right?
nice work Brian. glad to see you posting again. missed your pics and comments
Old 02-11-2024, 01:19 PM   #5393
crossfire84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
it does if you thought about your truck, if there are truck parts out there, if there used to be truck parts out there, or if you went out there by mistake cuz you were thinking about your truck. haha.
yes to all the above!
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 03:29 PM   #5394
MARTINSR

I know this isn't exciting for you all, but it is for me. I have built a few cars with my "Five minute a day plan" it's wild how much you get done just touching the darn thing! Go out and put one bolt in, something. I have touched it almost every day since Jan 1st after not touching it but a few times in the last 4 years! And now something is happening! WOW!!!
I went out after working all day long to just get these second pieces clamped in and ready to weld. After I got moving a bit, went ahead and got them tacked in place.
Man does this feel good!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2024, 05:56 PM   #5395
nvrdone

Nice work, but I've always admired your work. I understand that 5 min a day thing. my problem is it always turns into 3 - 4 hrs!! Then maybe another hour or 2 for a "test run" which usually turns into dinner out.
But that's what happens when you retire. And I'm loving it.
Old 02-11-2024, 07:13 PM   #5396
nvrdone

Today I finished tweekng the new wiper motor. Its in and works good, but doesnt have the sweep I wanted. Oh well, at least I have wipers.
Also have had a miss on acceleration for the last few days. Found the plug wire on # 6 cylinder had come loose. Plugged it back in & problem solved.
Now its time to watch the 49ers walk all over KC. LOL
Old 02-11-2024, 07:14 PM   #5397
nvrdone

Today I finished tweekng the new wiper motor. Its in and works good, but doesnt have the sweep I wanted. Oh well, at least I have wipers.
Also have had a miss on acceleration for the last few days. Found the plug wire on # 6 cylinder had come loose. Plugged it back in & problem solved.
Now its time to watch the 49ers walk all over KC. LOL
Old 02-12-2024, 01:22 PM   #5398
MARTINSR

Well, the 49's didn't make it happen, but what a heck of a game that was! It does suck that one extra point missed by them made the difference!

And the "5 minutes" I got in yesterday before leaving for my son's house to watch the SuperBowl. Got the rear upper strip tack welded in.

Brian
Attached Images

Last edited by MARTINSR; 02-12-2024 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:46 PM   #5399
nvrdone

It was a great game. I was rooting for the Niners because I grew up in the Bay Area. But there is always next year.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:31 PM   #5400
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
It was a great game. I was rooting for the Niners because I grew up in the Bay Area. But there is always next year.
What no kneeling?
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote