The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2018, 11:05 PM   #1
Montierth

Cost of repop vs OE

Curious on everyones thoughts of cost of original parts vs repop stuff. How do you value or put a price on nice original parts? I know it is what ever someone is willing to pay. I know nice tailgates or bucket seats go for a lot. But what about for example original inner door panels, door handles, arm rests, fenders, doors, etc?
- 1967 Chevy C10
- 1970 GMC C2500 Dually Flat Bed
- 2003 Silverado
Montierth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:45 AM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Cost of repop vs OE

I'd pop $200 for a used grill. I'd never pay $600+ for cheapo repop stuff. The chance that I'll find a used grill for $200 is nil. I'd make my own custom grill first...and probably will, since I despise the grille my FiL put in, and always have...for over 36 years. I'll have been married to his daughter 37 years, tomorrow.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I would pay as much as the cost of repro for a good OEM part

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I would pay as much as the cost of repro for a good OEM part
You are in the minority, at least up here. I have been selling off lots of my parts stash and I have had a hard time getting even half of what repro parts cost. It’s ridiculous.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
harpo231

I think repop gives the clueless instant gratification..The OeM parts are for the guys that are as much addicted to "working on the trucks/parts as they are to drivin them....
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
CaptainMorgan_SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
I think repop gives the clueless instant gratification..The OeM parts are for the guys that are as much addicted to "working on the trucks/parts as they are to drivin them....
Not necessarily. I just picked up a repop cowl hood for my 67 GMC since they were never "original." I also picked up repop 67 front fenders as well since the ones I had were pretty beat up from a front end wreck and I couldn't fathom paying $500 each for original fenders that still needed work.

Yes, OEM trim and little trinkets are cool, but not always necessary. It just really depends on how the person is wanting to build their truck. If its already a mismatch of parts and has been modified throughout the years (like mine was), I don't think there is anything wrong with repop stuff; just make sure you get a good brand or you will fight the parts tooth-and-nail in order to get them to fit.

As for the question of price though, I would pay close to the retail price of an original part, and maybe more in some cases, than I would for a repop. I picked up some NOS vent window trim for my 67 for a pretty penny, but that's just what I had to do in order to keep with the one-year-only vent windows. I could have switched to 68-72 reproduction vent windows, but I liked the idea of keeping that little touch that differentiated mine from the rest of the crowd.
CaptainMorgan_SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
Montierth

It gets frustrating. I was selling a set of arm rests, window and door handles, the upper brackets and the inner door panels all as an original great shape set original paint and no cracks in arm rests. To buy it as repop would be over $220. I was getting offered $60.
- 1967 Chevy C10
- 1970 GMC C2500 Dually Flat Bed
- 2003 Silverado
Montierth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #8
davepl

It also depends who you are dealing with. I know a guy who sold a blue NOS steering wheel for a couple of hundred bucks, then when I needed it I offered that new guy DOUBLE what he paid, but he wasn't interested. He didn't care about restoring trucks, just making money off trucks. Totally mercenary, which is fine because it's a business.

At the other end of the spectrum you'll find people like me who, although they don't have a lot of stuff, wind up giving it away to people who are actually restoring a nice truck just to see it get done. But I've pretty much given away all of my truck stuff by now.

In the middle you have the supply and demand of eBay, where prices are actually set.

Once a reproduction part enters the market, if it's good, it can really shift prices of originals. Particularly for parts that are needed but not closely inspected. For stuff that is important but poorly reproduced (like door panels) the price of originals will remain high if there is a group of people doing higher end restorations.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #9
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
Hey!! "Instant gratification" is my middle name! I have a fair amount of repop on my truck. It's a mixed bag where quality is concerned. I was never super excited about pot metal! Some of the OEM quality was iffy to begin with. I like new and shiny; and I like quality if I can get it for a FAIR price.

But I get where a Donkey would hate uncomfortable repop saddle bags! Have your owner get you some good OEM saddle bags Donkey!

So, the question is. Has the Donkey made an A$$ of himself with his repop saddle bags? And should he get his own show on Velocity channel?

Name:  Pict7693-Donkey-Barbeque-Bottom-Cockpit-Country-Jamaica.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  85.0 KB

j
Old 02-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
harpo231

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1518637296
Attached Images

harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #11
rsavage

It has been 5 years since I restored one of these trucks as I did a couple GTO's inbetween. I am somewhat surprised on what some people ask and get for NOS parts and for used parts, some that I wouldn't use. In the last few years, prices of used and nos parts seem to have gone up significantly. Personally, I don't want 50 year old rubber products etc. I do want quality repop parts that fit well. Original sheet metal is always best but finding some pieces in good shape is sometimes hard to do, i.e. a right side inner fender. America is a place where folks can make as much as they are able to - I have no problem with that. I do know that it will cost me more to restore the 69 Blazer than it did when I restored my 71 five years ago, and in the end, if I move it on, I'll be fortunate to recoup what I put into it. Good thing I just like restoring old vehicles.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:51 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

I'm having a hard time understanding some of these replies. $500 for a used fender? I have never heard such a thing. Must mean N.O.S. I am saying a used fender in good shape I would sell or buy for whatever the repros go for. Unless they retooled for '68 Chevy/GMC fenders I wouldn't use one if you gave it to me. It doesn't make a difference whether the truck is all original, modified, or a hodge podge of parts, a part either fits or it doesn't, is either good quality or junk. There is no comparison with some parts because the repro is no good. 71/72 repro mirrors flopping around the first summer they are on, steering wheels that crack in a few years, window wonder knobs coming off in your hand in a few years, wrinkles in the chrome or peeling on a bumper, fuel filler gaskets that don't seal, it goes on. I know a top builder who at one time would repair a rusted OEM door rather than buy repro. I tell people who don't see the value of OEM to pound sand if they offer a low price or try to school me on value. There are people who know what's what and I'll just wait for one to come along. They will know to grab a good part when they see it. They will also know they can buy reproduction anywhere anytime and that plays on the value> I also give parts away when it seems right. Some of you already know this. I usually say, "This part belongs on your truck" and just give it

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-14-2018 at 09:08 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote