The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2024, 04:18 PM   #1
tsm

Dual headlight issue, cutting out.

I’ve got a 1961 step with a headlight issue. I added dual headlights and it now I’ve had some issues, can you please help me.

I added dual Headlights, now only high beams work, and only momentarily. It seems the headlight controller switch on dash heats up and trips. I can hear it trip, headlights go out and eventually come back on.

Currently low beams don’t work, but have confirmed all lights are working.

I have replaced dash switch and foot switch, with new units. Still having issues. Using original wiring and fuse box.

Is there something obvious I am missing, like a ground? Where are the standard body grounding locations for 1961? Should I rewire the entire thing?

Thank you for your time and help
tsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:29 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Dual headlight issue, cutting out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm View Post
I’ve got a 1961 step with a headlight issue. I added dual headlights and it now I’ve had some issues, can you please help me.

I added dual Headlights, now only high beams work, and only momentarily. It seems the headlight controller switch on dash heats up and trips. I can hear it trip, headlights go out and eventually come back on.

Currently low beams don’t work, but have confirmed all lights are working.

I have replaced dash switch and foot switch, with new units. Still having issues. Using original wiring and fuse box.

Is there something obvious I am missing, like a ground? Where are the standard body grounding locations for 1961? Should I rewire the entire thing?

Thank you for your time and help
A circuit breaker is built into the headlight switch.. It's designed to "trip" when a certain current draw is exceeded.. This is what's happening with your lights.. Stock headlight bulbs and even Halogen bulbs should not draw enough current to trip the breaker.. If you've added "flame thrower" lights, the current draw may be exceeded, but that doesn't explain the no low beam issue.

I don't understand this statement. "Currently low beams don’t work, but have confirmed all lights are working." Low beams not working indicates a wiring error in the system.. Simply throwing parts (guessing) at the issue is not a proper approach.. Locate and correct the low beam problem and your problem may be solved. I suggest you start with a wiring diagram for what you're working on and a digital voltmeter..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 01:09 PM   #3
vince1

I found GM to be quite skimpy on their wiring diameters and therefore I put in relays so all the current didn't have to go through the headlight switch. As for your problem maybe a second pair of eyes will help you figure it out or post a wiring diagram like has been suggested.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:42 PM   #4
slepysal

just a thought ... How are your connectors at the fire wall and radiator support? Also a relay upgrade (found in the FAQ section and easy to do) will take a load off of the headlight circuit, Hopes this helps

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote