The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
Donaldo

Protection

It just really sucks what beauty rings do to freshly painted wheels - even after bending down the tabs so they install smoothly and hopefully won't rattle, they eat the paint - is there any protective tape or anyone have some ideas. I live on the coast and anything that can rust will rust and bleed rust in a day or two -

http://www.donsbirds.com/pick-up
Donaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
roger55

Re: Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldo View Post
It just really sucks what beauty rings do to freshly painted wheels - even after bending down the tabs so they install smoothly and hopefully won't rattle, they eat the paint - is there any protective tape or anyone have some ideas. I live on the coast and anything that can rust will rust and bleed rust in a day or two -
I would just put some grease on them to keep it from rusting.
It's just part of having the rings. No big deal as you can't see the gouges when the rings are installed.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
NEWFISHER

I have heard guys trimming all of the tabs and using clear silicone to bond them to the wheel. I havent tried it with a b ring but it works with loose hub caps.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
_Ogre

i have 5 beauty ring that cost a lot more than my hub caps
after i saw those teeth on them i couldn't put them on my wheels

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
Donaldo

""i have 5 beauty ring that cost a lot more than my hub caps
after i saw those teeth on them i couldn't put them on my wheels""

Yeah, that's my concern too - I can bend down the tabs to a certain point, but I don't want them being loose either - I am looking at chafing tape and stick on rock guard tapes - just not going to goop a bunch of stuff that just adds to the mess.

ifn when I find what I am seeking, I'll post it -

Old 10-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Why not just put short strips of duct tape, possibly two layers where the tabs will hit to minimize scratching. The tape will also tear a bit giving the tabs more "tooth"

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
Donaldo

I think I have found a solution I can live with - Gorilla Tape - it is clear, sticks to the paint, and is tough - It came in a 2" roll - cut it to 1" and applied it. I eased the tabs back on the beauty ring enough to get them started into the wheel and it snapped in smoothly, no cuts into the metal. Hopefully it is a permanent solution.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
MIKESAD50

I was going to suggest the clear film from 3M that they put on the front of vehicles to protect paint from chips
MIKESAD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
mr48chev

The concept behind the tabs and teeth is to keep the blooming beauty rings on the rims. You can't really have it both ways. It's not fun having one fly off and then see it get run over by a semi before you can get back and pick it up.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
Donaldo

Yep, and the concept of the tape is to give the ring teeth something other than paint to eat into - I'll let you know how it works.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:08 AM   #11
jremig

Really like the look of you wheels, more than less of what im looking to do. What kind/brand is your center cap and what is the size of your trim rings? Where were they purchased?

Thanks
joe
jremig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
roger55

I did nothing. I let them make scratches. I've always done this. What's the difference? Never been unhappy about it.

I think all you guys are being too anal. It's analogous to not wanting to drill holes in your freshly painted fenders to mount your emblems or trim.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #13
Donaldo

Roger, like I originally posted, I live right on the coast, within sight of the largest salt water pond on the planet - Everything rusts, and quite quickly - I wanted to find some application that would delay that consequence so I don't have rust bleeding out of my wheels almost immediately - the Gorilla Tape is the best I came up with - only time will tell if it was worth the effort or my project is destined to be a rust bucket from the gitgo -

I doubt progress or innovation was ever assisted by "it can't be done, just do it my way, settle for it, can't have it both ways, or you can't get there from here"...so I gotta try.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #14
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldo View Post
Everything rusts, and quite quickly - I wanted to find some application that would delay that consequence so I don't have rust bleeding out of my wheels almost immediately - the Gorilla Tape is the best I came up with - only time will tell if it was worth the effort or my project is destined to be a rust bucket from the gitgo -
With holes for emblems and trim, a little putty keeps them from rusting. Put a little grease on the wheels where the trim ring tabs go. Problem solved.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
Donaldo

Thanks, I do appreciate the lists help and the shared advice.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #16
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post

I did nothing. I let them make scratches. I've always done this. What's the difference? Never been unhappy about it.

I think all you guys are being too anal. It's analogous to not wanting to drill holes in your freshly painted fenders to mount your emblems or trim.
I think you missed the original posters point. He lives is a very humid / coastal climate where any bare metal will start to rust almost immediately. I grew up in Western Oregon and know how that works. I now live in the high desert where I can leave bare metal out for years and it will barely oxidize, let alone rust, and would probably wonder what the big deal was too if I had not seen what happens. I remember going to Minnesota to do a project and was amazed to see cars and trucks 4-5 years old with completely rusted through body panels and suspension parts.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I think you missed the original posters point. He lives is a very humid / coastal climate where any bare metal will start to rust almost immediately. I grew up in Western Oregon and know how that works. I now live in the high desert where I can leave bare metal out for years and it will barely oxidize, let alone rust, and would probably wonder what the big deal was too if I had not seen what happens. I remember going to Minnesota to do a project and was amazed to see cars and trucks 4-5 years old with completely rusted through body panels and suspension parts.
But even though he lives in a humid, salt water environment, I doubt he's going to be driving the truck at the shoreline or not storing it in a garage. Where he lives won't make a difference if he doesn't do those things. I think a little grease would take care of any problem regardless.

Just sayin'. Not criticizing. All in fun here. I can be anal retentive at times too.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #18
Donaldo

I live, and what little work I still do is usually within 100 ft of sea level. And I thought a garage was for keeping tools dry and safe....

The idea of accepting the rust so quickly, without trying to avoid it - doesn't work for me. I am too Scottish and a bit too anal to give in so soon.. Hoping it works for a long time -

but it has been said - rust never sleeps...