The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
Uglykato

67 C20 front disc brake conversion

Good afternoon,

I have done some research in the forums here prior to posting this question, if I missed a thread that answers the below question, my apologies; my intent isn't to be repetitive.
I don't post on here often due to lack of knowledge, and my previous job being so hectic I didn't have much time to work on my truck.

I have a 1967 C20 long bed with drum brakes all the way around, my plan is to lower somewhere around a 4/6 in the future.

I am planning on doing a front disc swap and keep the 8 lug, from reading through the forums here it looks like anything in the 71-87 will bolt over to the 1967 with little to no modifications.

My question what else can I use? I read 88-91 2500 Suburban's will work, what about OBS trucks and 2000 and up 2500's? We have a fair amount of those being parted out in my area. appreciate any and all information
Uglykato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: 67 C20 front disc brake conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglykato View Post
Good afternoon,

I have done some research in the forums here prior to posting this question, if I missed a thread that answers the below question, my apologies; my intent isn't to be repetitive.
I don't post on here often due to lack of knowledge, and my previous job being so hectic I didn't have much time to work on my truck.

I have a 1967 C20 long bed with drum brakes all the way around, my plan is to lower somewhere around a 4/6 in the future.

I am planning on doing a front disc swap and keep the 8 lug, from reading through the forums here it looks like anything in the 71-87 will bolt over to the 1967 with little to no modifications.

My question what else can I use? I read 88-91 2500 Suburban's will work, what about OBS trucks and 2000 and up 2500's? We have a fair amount of those being parted out in my area. appreciate any and all information
Yes on the 'through 91 2500 Burbs for the 8-lug swap. The OBS trucks use different BJ p/n's vs the squarebody 2500's when looking up parts (Moog BJ's).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
Uglykato

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Yes on the 'through 91 2500 Burbs for the 8-lug swap. The OBS trucks use different BJ p/n's vs the squarebody 2500's when looking up parts (Moog BJ's).
Thanks for the response. I think I am just going to keep it drum brakes, they work good for now (low miles on them) and do a static drop. I am thinking a 3/5, just need to get the parts and start working on it.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:18 PM   #4
SCOTI

I get those that sometimes leave 'good enough' alone.

Personally, a disc swap is a priority for me vs. drum brakes when it comes to lowering. Simply because drop spindles allow dropping the suspension w/o impacting suspension travel. I prefer the best ride possible & the longer the spring/shock, the easier it is to achieve good results.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
REDROCKER652002

While I don't know that much about the C20, my son's 69 C10 has 72 C10 parts on it for the front brakes. I did not do the swap, but have replaced the rotors, calipers and brake lines. It also has power brakes that I assume came from a 72 as well. Parts are easy to get and not that expensive. If you are going to drop the truck, I think you have to take it all apart anyway, so why not upgrade now and save yourself the hassle of doing it later. I would do the switch, but I get it too. If it aint broke, don't fix it. LOL. Good luck.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
rpmerf

Most of the parts you can get on Rock Auto. There are only a few you can't find - center link, spindles, prop valve. Center link and prop valve can come from a 71-87 era C10, so not too hard to find. Spindles are the hardest to find, but since you want to lower it, just buying a set of drop spindles would be the best.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #7
Uglykato

I was interested in doing the disc brake swap for the ability to go lower on the drop and the safety. I was looking at parts online, kits are around $900 plus, with out MC, PV, and brake booster. I was wanting to do a 4/6 drop, even getting some parts used it was still going to be a fair amount of money. Somethings you have to buy new, maybe I will look at Rockauto more and price out things individually. Thanks to all that responded, your input is greatly appreciated.

David
Old 03-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #8
REDROCKER652002

Quote:
I was interested in doing the disc brake swap for the ability to go lower on the drop and the safety. I was looking at parts online, kits are around $900 plus, with out MC, PV, and brake booster. I was wanting to do a 4/6 drop, even getting some parts used it was still going to be a fair amount of money. Somethings you have to buy new, maybe I will look at Rockauto more and price out things individually. Thanks to all that responded, your input is greatly appreciated.

David

If you can go 72 or later, the parts are easy to find. Just go to your local parts house. Like was said, the drop spindle and maybe the lower springs are gonna cost the most. But for me and my son, 72 rotors, calipers and brake lines were not that bad at all. Good luck, if I can help please let me know at redrocker652002@yahoo.com. I have the part numbers for what I used.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:24 PM   #9
Uglykato

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROCKER652002 View Post
If you can go 72 or later, the parts are easy to find. Just go to your local parts house. Like was said, the drop spindle and maybe the lower springs are gonna cost the most. But for me and my son, 72 rotors, calipers and brake lines were not that bad at all. Good luck, if I can help please let me know at redrocker652002@yahoo.com. I have the part numbers for what I used.
Thanks for the reply and offer to help with part numbers. Maybe I go back to the drawing board.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #10
Uglykato

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROCKER652002 View Post
Thanks for the reply and offer to help with part numbers. Maybe I go back to the drawing board.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:57 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:

David
If you're doing the budget approach, the more info you share, the more help folks here can provide. Post a link to what you're looking @ online.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-06-2020, 06:43 PM   #12
Uglykato

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
If you're doing the budget approach, the more info you share, the more help folks here can provide. Post a link to what you're looking @ online.
Thanks, I’ll will look into doing that over the weekend.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #13
REDROCKER652002

Too bad you are on the other side of the country, I would offer to help you out. If nothing else, I can bring the pizza and beer. Keep posting questions, you will get some great help here. RR
Old 03-09-2020, 06:51 AM   #14
rpmerf

I would recommend not going to your local pasts store. Rock Auto, get AC Delco Professional, or Moog Problem Solver stuff. Local parts stores (at least around here) always seem to carry the cheapest junk and nothing quality. If it is AC Delco or Moog, it is their cheap economy brands.

While you are in there, you might want to do the control arm bushings also. I have been planning out the swap on my truck for years. Got a 83 pickup for cheap and grabbed most of the front suspension and brakes.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #15
Uglykato

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmerf View Post
I would recommend not going to your local pasts store. Rock Auto, get AC Delco Professional, or Moog Problem Solver stuff. Local parts stores (at least around here) always seem to carry the cheapest junk and nothing quality. If it is AC Delco or Moog, it is their cheap economy brands.

While you are in there, you might want to do the control arm bushings also. I have been planning out the swap on my truck for years. Got a 83 pickup for cheap and grabbed most of the front suspension and brakes.
You’re right about the local parts store, I have no confidence in the brake brands they sell. I think I am going with Rockauto, I priced majority of the parts out and very affordable. Before I do that I have some loose mechanical ends to tie up, hopefully tomorrow the timing issue is solved (I believe the vacuum advance is bad). Once I out that in, I want to get a few miles on it before I do any elective work on it I.E brakes and lowering. But, when I do lower it and do the brake swap I am doing it all at once so majority of parts will be brand new. I ordered some Eastwood Extreme Chasis paint and I plan to do some preventive maintenance to my frame. I moved from a dry San Diego climate to the Gulf Coast and don’t want the humidity to kill my rust free frame.