The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Did you ever meet a Chevy you wish you hadnt?

Since this is predominantly a Chevy board lets talk about the Chevy you wish you never had.

Been a lot of years ago, at least 30, I wanted small truck. I found a super nice 72 Chevy Luv. Dark blue with chrome wagon wheels. I had a buddy that pinstriped put on a nice lighter blue strip down the side. Kind of like the factory stripe some of our trucks came with. Step back and check the truck out, very good looking ride. Interior was factory pristine.

Too bad it was jinxed. Every little thing that could go out or upside down, did. Never lost the engine or trans, but when everything that surrounds the drive train is constantly breaking or failing it doesn't matter if the engine and trans are working.

Finally gave up and let it go. Too bad, I really liked what I thought that truck could be.
CG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
72c20customcamper

Re: Did you ever meet a Chevy you wish you hadnt?

Not really fair to Chevy it had a Chevy nameplate but was made by Isuzu .

Mine was a 98 3500 12 passenger Savanna van ran and towed great . But every little thing went on it. Stupid stuff.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
Red71gmc

I will start. 1988 chevy 3/4 ton 4wd. It was the brand new body style and I special ordered that truck. I hand picked exactly the options I wanted from the color down. It ended up being the worst vehicle I ever owned. Almost monthly something was wrong. I finally called it quits after around 60-70000 miles. I went through numerous head gaskets, one cracked head, a short block, one transmission, 4wd actuator, blower fan switch, power window motors and on and on. Once the warranty was off it was on my dime and it never stopped costly repairs. I always liked GM everything but that truck sent me to Dodge in 1994. Even for the wife I went from chevy and Pontiac cars (they were good) to the dreaded chrysler mini van. I always preferred GM styling and drive ability but still today have a 2019 Ram. I do have a 1992 chevy ton truck and a 2000 chevy pickup bought used for the farm (and 71 and 72 gmc toys) and they have been good trucks all these years. I did almost buy a 2018 GMC instead of the 2019 Ram and I will say the 6.2 in a 1/2 ton is plain fun. It could probably get a guy in trouble kind of fun.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
Richardwa

Yep, 2005 Colorado with the 5 cyl engine. Biggest POS I ever owned. In the shop more than on the road. Got rid of it with less than 40K on it
1972 Plymouth Roadrunner
1965 Buick Skylark GS
1972 Chevy El Camino
Richardwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Had to scratch my head a bit. I've owned several Chevys and never really hated any of them, but the one I liked the least and would never buy again was our '87 Astro van. Bought it for the roominess, refused to even consider the competition, which was Ford Aerostar or Mopar minivan (whatever they were called).

It had a 4.3L V6 with 4-speed auto trans. Guaranteed to skin your knuckles when changing spark plugs. Questionable build quality with just enough rattles to drive you crazy. Want a headache, drive that van several miles with tire chains -- big echo chamber for all the vibrations & rattles. Transmission failed under warranty and it made the trip to the dealer (an hour away) on a rollback. They fixed it and it wasn't long before it failed again. Back to the dealer for a rebuilt trans.

Eventually I had enough and test drove a new '95 Blazer, the small one. On a whim we stopped at a Jeep dealer and they handed me the keys to a new Grand Cherokee. Seemed much nicer than the Blazer, more solid, and better power. It had a 318 cid V8 and full-time 4WD. We bought it and left the Astro for someone else to, uh, experience.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

[QUOTE=Stocker;]The one I liked the least and would never buy again was our '87 Astro van.

I too had one and wished it had not ask me behind it's steering wheel and came home with me..

In 1982 I wanted a ""small"" 4 wheel drive pickup and so went looking for a Chevy .. Chevy did not make a 4 wheel drive in the Chevy S-10 and that left the Love and it was a not what I wanted,, at all ..so I bought a new Toyota 4/4 and it prooved its self from the get go and beyond (except it was a bit small inside afer awhile.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I can honestly say all the Chevys I have owned have done nothing but support the faith I have in them and the reasons I made the decision I made to go with them after having dumb problems and parts nightmares with other marks.

I can't speak for anything newer than a '99 S10 ZR2. The only thing I didn't like about that one was what I wouldn't like about any vehicle built in the last 25+ years. Hard to get to things for some of the simplest repairs. Routine service included. It all started with the first oil change... little thing stuffed in there sideways only accessible through the fender well impossible to remove w/o drizzling oil. Note to auto engineers: The spin-on oil filter, as well as it's predecessor the cartridge-type, were designed to mount vertically.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #8
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The spin-on oil filter, as well as it's predecessor the cartridge-type, were designed to mount vertically.
Try changing this one 😁
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #9
95 S_Trucker

Quote:
I can honestly say all the Chevys I have owned have done nothing but support the faith I have in them and the reasons I made the decision I made to go with them after having dumb problems and parts nightmares with other marks.

I can't speak for anything newer than a '99 S10 ZR2. The only thing I didn't like about that one was what I wouldn't like about any vehicle built in the last 25+ years. Hard to get to things for some of the simplest repairs. Routine service included. It all started with the first oil change... little thing stuffed in there sideways only accessible through the fender well impossible to remove w/o drizzling oil. Note to auto engineers: The spin-on oil filter, as well as it's predecessor the cartridge-type, were designed to mount vertically.
Those filters are great. You open a little trap door in the skid plate and there is access. And if you put a bucket under it, there's no mess. It's sure better than oil running down the side of the engine or onto a crossmember.

The only maintenance item I don't like on 4wd s10s is #3 spark plug. The ZR2 was easier than the regular 4wd.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #10
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
It all started with the first oil change... little thing stuffed in there sideways only accessible through the fender well impossible to remove w/o drizzling oil. Note to auto engineers: The spin-on oil filter, as well as it's predecessor the cartridge-type, were designed to mount vertically.
Agreed. We once owned a Miata, nearly the same situation. Under-hood oil filter access was extremely tight and the filter was horizontal on the side of the block, guaranteed to make a bit of a mess. Filters had an anti-drainback valve, but still....

Both my current vehicles have easy-access spin-on oil filters. My K20 is a little messy of course but I have rags and a big drain pan so no problem. Our Tacoma couldn't be easier and there's virtually no mess to clean up. Base of the filter is surrounded by a cup with a drain hole. Not my pic.... instead of the small plastic cup placed to catch the drizzle, I ran a drain tube down towards my pan.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #11
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Every little thing that could go out or upside down, did. Never lost the engine or trans, but when everything that surrounds the drive train is constantly breaking or failing it doesn't matter if the engine and trans are working.
You just described my 01 Yukon to a tee. Other than the engine and trans it’s a pile of crap.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #12
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I want you guys to quit saying bad things about Astro Vans! I loved my Astro Vans! I wish Chevy still made them .. Ok hopping off my Astro Van high horse haha!
CG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:00 AM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

1978 Caprice Classic Coup: My former step-dad was a body man and he got it as a wreck. Had 25K miles. What a beautiful ride, some nice pin stripping and dual exhaust added to the 350. About 75K miles the transmission had problems, the motor was on its last 1K or so, broke turn signal, rear end was nearly cooked, and a few things I don't remember.

1972 Chevy Malibu coup: Beautiful and unmolested. There was only 62K when I got it, but it needed a top end and front suspension. I hired a friend, because I didn't have a clue. He was a mechanic by trade and nice guy, but it wasn't his best work or anyone else's. I fixed or had repaired the problems, and I really cleaned up the engine bay nicely, but it left a sour taste in my mouth. Combined with an occasional vapor lock, and the rust in the usual places, some pretty bad, I was all too happy to get rid of it.

86 Beretta: Closest thing to a new car I'd bought. Fun little car for a while, but they're a real POS.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:30 AM   #14
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Luckily I didn't own it. It was a company car. A Chevette. What a pile of junk. The door handle fell off when it had 300 miles on it. The radio crapped out at about 600 miles. It was just total junk. I traded it to a guy at work for his Dodge Aspen. Ugly as sin but it was comfy. I could stretch out and take a nap in it when I was supposed to be working.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #15
A1971Blazer

A 1973 Vega GT...biggest POS I ever owned
Luckily I was able to trade it for a new Camaro in 1974
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #16
straight6chevyguy

Never really seen anything badly wrong with the chevy astro/gmc safari
My parents have had a 1997 gmc safari for over 10 years now and never had to much trouble with it. A few small things but nothing to hard to fix.
The front end is getting sloppy but a lot of vans and trucks do at its mileage
and it's been a daily driver over half the time they have had it.

O yea... those spark plugs are a big pain to change!
2002 Chevy s10 4.3L auto 4x4
1971 mercury monterey wagon 400 auto
To many projects!
straight6chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:29 AM   #17
davischevy

I special ordered my wife a new S10 Blazer in 1985. I loved everything about it except the lack of power.

The 2.8 V6 was the most anemic thing I have ever driven. It ruined the driving experience in what was otherwise a really good vehicle.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:24 AM   #18
Getter-Done

Yea I Did.
It took me a few to recollect.
My Grandpa's Citation.
He was always taking it back to the dealer.
And when the Warranty when out he
was always working on it.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:48 PM   #19
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Not until I recalled an '82 Caprice wagon that I bought when my wife got tired of the '56 210 wagon that I had done a ton of work to- I bought it as a hull, and put a complete drive train, interior and paint job on it. Sold it and bought that Caprice. It had a ton of trouble, and then she drove it into a flooded wash and it snarfed water into the engine. That was the end of the road for that critter. I ended up selling it in a gross polluter buy-back, since it was smoking like a locomotive after being drownderized.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:32 PM   #20
TKCR

Chevy Trailblazer. They were built from 2001-2009, I didn’t have mine long enough to remember what year it was. It blew the engine and didn’t even have 1500 miles on it!!! Of course it was under warranty and GM replaced the engine. But as soon as I got it back, I unloaded it. Traded it in on a Chevy Avalanche 2006, it was the last year for the BodyAmour. Ah, so that means the Trailblazer must have been a 2005.
Loved my Avalanche though, may it RIP. I let my parents borrow it to drive down to Florida, but it never made it out of Georgia. They blew a tire, in the construction zone in Atlanta, and some how the truck ended up going over the concrete barriers. Ripped out the chassis, so it got totaled, and was layed to rest somewhere in Georgia. Parents were/are fine, just scared the sh!t out of them!!
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:51 AM   #21
whitedog76

I had a 94 maybe 95 S10 Blazer. I bought it with about 50,000 miles. Great runner, driver. No issues with the drivetrain. The electronics on it, well that’s another story. The resistor pack on the blower controls burnt up. To replace it, the new resistors came with a template and you had to cut the old ones out of the plenum because GM decided to mold them in. The factory radio went out, along with the door speakers. Fixed that with a Pioneer unit. Then the ignition switch went out. Then for whatever reason the dash lights, radio, heater controls, and gauges would go out only when using windshield wipers though. Grounding issue, ignition switch? I don’t know, got rid of it, didn’t even have it a year.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:57 AM   #22
whitedog76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Chevy Trailblazer. They were built from 2001-2009, I didn’t have mine long enough to remember what year it was. It blew the engine and didn’t even have 1500 miles on it!!! Of course it was under warranty and GM replaced the engine. But as soon as I got it back, I unloaded it. Traded it in on a Chevy Avalanche 2006, it was the last year for the BodyAmour. Ah, so that means the Trailblazer must have been a 2005.
Loved my Avalanche though, may it RIP. I let my parents borrow it to drive down to Florida, but it never made it out of Georgia. They blew a tire, in the construction zone in Atlanta, and some how the truck ended up going over the concrete barriers. Ripped out the chassis, so it got totaled, and was layed to rest somewhere in Georgia. Parents were/are fine, just scared the sh!t out of them!!
Just curious on what actually went wrong with the Trailblazers engine? My 04 has 220,000 miles with no sign of giving in. It’s actually the BEST vehicle I’ve ever owned. LOL Totally different experience than yours I guess.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #23
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
Just curious on what actually went wrong with the Trailblazers engine? My 04 has 220,000 miles with no sign of giving in. It’s actually the BEST vehicle I’ve ever owned. LOL Totally different experience than yours I guess.
I can’t remember the specifics. My Dad pretty much took care of everything for me. He worked at GM, and I bought the TB thru his employee discount, as with all my GM vehicles. I can remember him saying it was a known issue with the engines, but a few got out of the plant. I guess the 2005’s were plagued with issues. Lucky for me, I got one of them. I was less than 1/4 mile from the house, and all of the sudden all the lights on the meter came on and the truck just died. Had to get it towed to the house and then my Dad took care of the rest. A flatbed came and got it and they took it to Dayton, Ohio. They replaced the engine and actually hand delivered it back to me. It may have been a fine vehicle after that, but I wasn’t willing to take that chance. So I immediately traded it for the Avalanche. I actually came out pretty good with the trade in, because of my Dad’s discount.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:59 PM   #24
straight6chevyguy

A few years ago I went with my parents to look at a 2001 or 2002(cant remember) chevy trailblazer that was nothing but a hunk of junk.
It smoked and hesitated when you gave it gas and had some other problems.
(thankfully we did not buy it)
May be a good car when running right but that one was junk.

All so the chevy TRAILblazers (not blazer) are on my list of most ugly chevy cars.
2002 Chevy s10 4.3L auto 4x4
1971 mercury monterey wagon 400 auto
To many projects!
straight6chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote