The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #9
ncpetersc

Re: Help a NOOB - A continuing saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Just read posts since my last one before dinner...dont worry too much about location of #1 for time being...but, you should not be able to just twist the distributor...

The carb is flooding, most likely due to incorrect float level or junk under needle and seat...Is there an inline fuel filter between fuel pump and carb?

I would not suggest you pull the carb apart,,,way too many things can go wrong there...but perhaps you would be better off with an exchange carb from an auto parts store?

With the engine running, twist the distributor counter clockwise a little bit at a time...no more than 1/4" movement at the vacuum canister...you should notice an increase in engine speed...if it does increase speed,lock it down temporarily and put the timing light on it...HINT...Shut it off, clean the balancer and timing mark tab so you can see the lines...on the balancer, there is a slice mark across the outer ring,,,mark it with some white chalk or marker pen....makes it easier to see...remove and block off the vacuum lead to the advance canister on the dist...start the engine again and set the timing to 12 degrees...and lock the dist down...then reconnect the vacuum line to the canister.

Setting the timing this way will give you a baseline to at least start with.

Once the timing is set, the carb will be your biggest challenge.

If there is no inline fuel filter between pump and carb, make sure you put one on before you fit any replacement carb...lots of tiny rust particles in these old fuel systems.

Post your results...

Also, make sure firing order is set 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2 with drivers side engine from front being 1 3 5 7 and passenger side 2 4 6 8 .

Stay cool dude...
Going to answer your posts one at a time. I went ahead before reading this, so I used the diagram to position the distributor and started it. It's not great, but its a big step forward. (This truck is very "fumy" for some reason.

I managed to get a timing light on it and wish I read your hint first. My eyes were bugging trying to read my last pen mark from two years ago. But it appeared 14-15. I shut it down, and removed the vac lead and plugged it. I think I read maybe 10 (I willl mark it better tomorrow).

Then I noticed it was idling high, close to 1200. I dropped it down to close to 800 ( it didn't really sound like it wanted to run lower). And I think the timing read about 9ish advance. I'm using one of those dig. advance ones, so only using the zero marks.

Regarding the carb, I definitely don't trust myself, and I think if its wrong maybe I should try to have them compensate me somehow. It was JUST rebuilt to the tune of $300+. Another thing I saw while it was running was fuel puddling at top of accelerator pump. Just can't be right.

Oh and I actually thought about adding an inline filter when I got the carb rebuilt, but got completely sidetracked with everything else that went wrong. I don't have one, just the one at the carb. With mechanical fuel pump is it typical to do it ahead of the fuel pump down below?
Attached Images

ncpetersc is offline   Reply With Quote