The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Inside panels?

What are yall doin for your inside rear panels? mine had ply wood cut to shape and covered with fabric. Im thinking of stripping my door panels (also were covered) and having them painted the pearl white like the rest of the interior. Does anyone actually make a panel for that area?

thanks!
junk
Attached Images

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: Inside panels?

There are new cargo area panels for your year available from some of the vendors, but they are very expensive...

I ordered the correct color, and faux stitch design from SMS. Then cut out my own panels, then covered them with the new material I purchased.
The doors, I stripped them and recovered them myself as well from the same material.

Here are couple of pics from my side panel project.
Attached Images

Last edited by vectorit; 08-07-2010 at 09:15 PM.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Those look great. I had no idea you could get the material like that. I bet it was pricey.

Last edited by CG; 08-07-2010 at 10:38 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Those look great. I had no idea you could get the material like that. I bet it was pricey.
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out. Being that I have never done that kind of work before. I just dissected my originals, and copied what was done. The door panels, consisted of thick construction paper (to hide the ridges in the steel panels) and a thin sheet of felt like material. Which I got at a craft store, and an office supply store. Two cans of 3M adhesive, and four bags of box clips.

I purchased a lot of material, more than I needed since I allotted for screw ups on my part. For a roll that took care of every side panel, from front to back in the burb I think I paid close to 500 bucks. I think I still have enough material left to do four more doors...
Old 08-08-2010, 04:06 AM   #5
chris mc bride

while Im not at this point yet I plan to install panels for sides and cover them two tone to breakup the huge area to make it look better than one color would(IMO). I figure with all the area available in a panle truck I can do a few hidden compartments,plus add a few creature comforts. Already working on rear ac install using one from a astro van.I plan to do a 3 amp display on left side with lighted border and have it recessed. Being I love my music loud but clear. I figure no such thing as too many speakers. I have 4 6" coaxils,2 front doors and two in console.$ 6x9's two rear mid way of body and two in rear doors. Then two sub woofers mounted in rear and low. I plan to have oak dividers for each section that matches rear floor.
As for seating I have two front bucket seat from a caddy that are full power and heated.Looking for two rear bucket seats that are heated also.I plan to make these removable or at least beable to fold them down and foward,haven't got all of that part worked out yet.
Console will blend into dash and have provisions for air ducts,shifter,cd's and hidden compartment for firepower toys,just to keep those who are not honest a little more honest. Still desgining parts of it,maybe should say making my wish list.
Hopefully years of wood working,fabricating most everything I wanted and couldn't buy,plus being pretty imagative will come in handy. Hopefulley it will be half as easy I think it will. All I need is money,lots,lots,lots and lots of money.
Right now trying to get past repairing body work the last so called body man fukedup .Heck Im not body man and what Ive done so far looks 100 times better than his crap.Maybe in month or so I can start the chassis stripping and restoration part.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Wow!! That looks awsome! I had no idea someone made the panels. Ill start searching vendors. You did an excellent job with that. There were speakers galore behind my panels along with way too much spray in foam junk. it was a mess. Im thinking of just leaving the speakers out. and mounting them under the seat. PO had them mounted everrywhere you could cut a hole. I dont want to put them back in the doors cause I cant get my weatherstrip to keep water from goin thru the doors. Keep the examples and ideas comming!

thanks!
junk

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Vectorit, Could you tell me where you found thoes panels? Im looking, but not finding. Are they under interrior? or body parts?

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 08-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCjunkie View Post
Vectorit, Could you tell me where you found thoes panels? Im looking, but not finding. Are they under interrior? or body parts?
I found them in the LMC catalog on my coffee table, page 106 of the 2010 summer edition.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Wow. I found them. they are insanely expensive, and not the outward design I want. I like your idea. Thankfully I saved the plyboard panels they had on there. Ill get something durable and make my own too. Im trying to stay away from fabric, AND having to pay someone else to do stuff for me.

thanks again!
junk

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 08-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
vectorit
What?

Told you they were "expensive"...

Hence why I did it my way.

At first I thought I'd just buy the material, and then pay some shop to do the panels. Wrong again since the average labor rate per hour was 75 bucks, and they all estimated a days worth of work. You can do the quick math on that, and figure that it too was a spendy option.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I went to their web site but couldn't find any truck vinyls or fabrics. The search function doesn't allow you to type in trucks.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
vectorit
What?

Quote:
I went to their web site but couldn't find any truck vinyls or fabrics. The search function doesn't allow you to type in trucks.
Which website?

LMC the part number is 38-2011-BL for black, and is on page 106 of the Summer 2010 catalog.

http://www.smsautofabrics.com/
Just call them, they don't break their products down to year/make/models.

I worked my entire deal with them over the phone and direct email, and the whole experience was a good one since the guy I worked with was smart and friendly.
Once he figures out what you are looking for, he will send you a sampling of swatches.
As for the faux stitching or design, I sent him detailed pictures and measurements. They fab it up from there, and what they did for me was a perfect match to my originals.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
burb71

I have seen the pics you post from time to time I like how it turned out also.
Your truck looks great, it makes me miss my Burb.
I am a stickler for originality, I can really appreciate your time and effort.
Are you going to do the seats in the original pattern?
burb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burb71 View Post
I have seen the pics you post from time to time I like how it turned out also.
Your truck looks great, it makes me miss my Burb.
I am a stickler for originality, I can really appreciate your time and effort.
Are you going to do the seats in the original pattern?
If I can find a 67/68 seat cover pattern to duplicate for the front and rears, you bet I will do it all with my original "aqua green" vinyl. That is my ultimate goal... Don't get me started with how all of the vendors treat the 67/68 burbs like the red headed step children of the classic Chevy truck line up.

Until then I am running with the current seats, which are dirty and worn with collapsing foam from age. The front bench seat is rockin the horse blanket seat cover too! It's OK by me, since those seats and style seat cover have been with this burb for so many years. What's another year or two to wait?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Which website?

LMC the part number is 38-2011-BL for black, and is on page 106 of the Summer 2010 catalog.

http://www.smsautofabrics.com/
Just call them, they don't break their products down to year/make/models.

I worked my entire deal with them over the phone and direct email, and the whole experience was a good one since the guy I worked with was smart and friendly.
Once he figures out what you are looking for, he will send you a sampling of swatches.
As for the faux stitching or design, I sent him detailed pictures and measurements. They fab it up from there, and what they did for me was a perfect match to my originals.
They (SMS) break it down for all the cars but not the trucks. I will give em a call.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #16
vectorit
What?

Quote:
They (SMS) break it down for all the cars but not the trucks. I will give em a call.
Yea, I think they are building a data base on these trucks. Since they were pleased with my documentation on my 68 burb side panels, mainly the faux stitch design style and dimensions.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #17
72GMC-Burb

I am going diamond plate - 1/8" polished - relocated the battery to the spare tire well - so I have to fab up a trap door - but - we shall see...I will post when I get it! Yours looks great!
72GMC-Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #18
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

That sounds awsome! Yes, please show pics when you get it done, including the new battery cubby!

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 09-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #19
Mt Man Chad

Back from the dead thread...
Next months project, new interior panels!
Some great info here, Thanks Chris