The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
CurtisC

Auto column shifter coversion kit?

I have a 71 burb and it came with a turbo 300 I think. When I bought it, it has a 700r4. The column shifter has the old 3-speed indicator on it and I know I can get that but is there anything I need or can do inside the column to make it shift nicer for the 4-speed that is in it now? I dont' think my back up lights turn on bacause when it shifts to reverse it doesn;t line up with the reverse on the column. Just a thought. Let me know.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
mcampbell

Re: Auto column shifter coversion kit?

I hooked up my 700R with the stock linkage and didn't like it from the start. Look at any of the listed parts suppliers and get a Kugel Komponents linkage. They sell two and you want the longer one. It does not mount to the frame but has a new Hiem joint at the top and bottom then a nice shiny rod between. Now my handle is not aimed at the floor when I am in low.
Still don't have the indicator lined up as overdrive is missing.
There was a tech article in Truckin Mag about 20 years ago that I copied. Haven't heard of a better sytem out there since.
mcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #3
DBear

Question ....I just ordered this kit, the long one, and was curious that would my burb being 4x4an make a difference in it fitting? Just not sure the rod is long enough. It is a '71 with a 700r4.
Posted via Mobile Device
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
mcampbell

I expect it will still work. It seems the 4wd engine sits about 2 inches furthur back than the 2wd but it seems my linkage was plently long.
One thing the article mentioned was putting a slight bend in the rod so it will clear the firewall. I do a lot of welding on my days off from the dead end job so I have a very expensive bender ready for use. It is mounted just under the back bumper of my suburban and when the trailer ball is removed and the rod is put in what some might call the bolt hole and pulled slightly it amazingly puts just the right kink in whatever metal needs to be formed.
mcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote