The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
scottofksu

73-87 Front-End Upgrade - Flex Lines?

I have upgraded my front-end to 73-87 components to add power steering and power disc brakes, and to strengthen the steering components. Here are the parts I used/upgraded:
73-87 Moog Ball-Joints (RockAuto),
73-87 HD Discs (CPP),
73-87 Caliper (RockAuto),
73-87 Center Link, Idler & Pitman Arms, and Inner & Outer Tierods,
73-87 Drop Spindle (CPP),
1-Ton Hydroboost Unit,
Disc/Drum Prop Valve,
New Brake Lines (Coming Soon; ECE).
Obviously there were some other bits, but these were the big pieces.

My question -one I've never seen addressed - is, what flex lines do you use to connect the hard lines to the calipers, and how do you secure it so it doesn't get bound up in the suspension?

Bonus points for anyone who can also tell me where to get the appropriate lines in braided steel... :0)

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 01-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #2
chevyrestoguy

Re: 73-87 Front-End Upgrade - Flex Lines?

I used a '79 front suspension on my '64. I drilled a 5/8" hole in the frame for a stock 1979 brake flex hose and secured it with the u-shaped clip. I bent up all new hard lines from the master cylinder, but I drilled the hole in essentially the same location as where Chevy put them in '79.

As far as braided steel lines with stainless ends, go to www.classictube.com.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #3
ls60apache

hello I used the stainless braided lines that cpp sells for the 73-87 chevy truck,also used the factory brackets that are on the stock rubber hoses that atatches to the upper control arm.
ls60apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
gmcdeadhead

I did the same thing as chevyrestoguy did. But my donor truck was a 1987 I used the 87 flex lines and drilled a hole in the same position as a 87.
gmcdeadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I did pretty much the same thing, but took one extra step. I sat on the floor for way too long with a small triangle file and cut the lower portion of the hole to match the pattern on the end of the hose fitting. This retains the factory anti-rotation feature.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:12 PM   #6
HumphreyMurdoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I did pretty much the same thing, but took one extra step. I sat on the floor for way too long with a small triangle file and cut the lower portion of the hole to match the pattern on the end of the hose fitting. This retains the factory anti-rotation feature.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but your truck is a 60-62 and the frame is boxed. How did you thread the tube nut in the hose? I'm in the middle of doing the same thing on my '62.

Also, scottofksu

The calipers changed to 10mm x 1.5 metric inlets in 78 or 79. So that'll make a difference when ordering hoses.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:16 AM   #7
64shortbox

My C10 is a 64 - I used the factory oval holes that were punched in the frame. I just bought the 1973 stock front flex hoses. There is a tab crimped to the hose about 1/2 way down that bolts the hose to the upper control arm keeping it away from getting caught in the suspension components. The end of the hose that passes through the frame is threaded 5/8 X 18 thread (if I remember correctly) so I went to Orchard Supply and picked up two 5/8 X 18 jam nuts. Hope the pictures attached help clarify what I'm trying to describe. The top & 2 bottom pictures are of the passenger side the 2nd picture down is of the drivers side of course. The last picture you can see where I just cut off the old hose so I could show the clip preventing the hose from passing through the frame when you tighten down the jamb nut. Clear as mud?
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumphreyMurdoch View Post
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but your truck is a 60-62 and the frame is boxed. How did you thread the tube nut in the hose? I'm in the middle of doing the same thing on my '62.

Also, scottofksu

The calipers changed to 10mm x 1.5 metric inlets in 78 or 79. So that'll make a difference when ordering hoses.
It's been many years since these hose were installed, so I don't really remember clearly, but looking at the truck it appears I gained access through the long hole on the inside of the rail (to the rear of the truck from the brake line) where the front suspension bolts attach. I seem to remember taking forever to get those tightened up as I used a tubing wrench which didn't provide much swing room inside the frame. This seems the only way I would have had access to the tubing nuts.

I just looked at the tubing and it is tight up against the outside frame rail. If they were resting against the inside rail, I would suggest I attached them to the hoses before pushing them back into the frame hole. But they are so close to the outside rail, there wouldn't have been enough slack to install them to the hoses from the outside of the frame. Hope that makes sense.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #9
scottofksu

Thank you all! I'll post back when I get this done, but I am thinking that the "hole-in-the-frame" direction is the one I will take... Thanks again!
Old 05-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
ol_skool_chevy

If I use calipers from a 1974 on my 1966, do I need some sort of couple to join my old 1966 brake line to the new 1974 flex line going to the calipers??

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote