The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2020, 11:36 AM   #1
sgtstump

Truck sitting for 30+ years

I am picking up my grandpas '69 C30 here soon. It has been sitting in a barn untouched for over 30 years. I am planning to throw in a JEGS branded 350 w/ Vortec heads, replace the fuel system, throw in a new wiring harness, and a clutch. I will also do fluid changes on the transmission (SM465 I believe) and axle. Is there anything obvious that I will need to replace while I have it torn apart to get it running? I would immediately do the breaking system, but I would like to go to front disks and that seems to be more involved on the C30s.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
MARKDTN

Re: Truck sitting for 30+ years

Curious why you rip out the engine and wiring right off the bat? Obviously you know more about the history, but the engine may be fine. Wiring could also be OK or a train wreck.

I would take a more measured approach. See if the engine turns and if so build the carburetor and run it from a gas can. If it won't turn, see it you can unstick it. Probably would pull the distributor and run the oil pump with a drill before I tried to start it. Maybe it does need replacing, but 350s are tough. They can stand sitting long periods and made to go again.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:58 AM   #3
sgtstump

My grandma told me that it ran when parked then a rat decided to destroy the wiring harness which caused it to sit for so long. I want this to be as reliable as possible and I really dont want to fight all sorts of problems to try and get it running just to get to the point where I pull the motor anyways. Plus the Vortec seems to give more power and reliability than whats in there currently. I'd rather do it right the first time.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:31 PM   #4
MidLifer

Just a thought - since you plan to do the engine and harness anyway, instead of a jegs engine how about a gen iii 5.3 LM7? You should be able to find a good used one with harness and ecu for less than a grand, and with some ingenuity and the info available on this site and others probably get it done for around the budget it will take to do the 350.

But then, based on my license plate, you can see I’m biased. I just like an engine that starts the first time in any kind of weather, runs great on ethanol pump gas, and puts out more HP than the 350.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
sgtstump

I thought about swapping in an LS, but I like my classics classic. I know I am always going to be messing with the carb and it will be less fuel efficient, but I like knowing that this is close to what my grandpa had. If this was going to be my dd I'd definitely be putting in an LS.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:24 PM   #6
MidLifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstump View Post
I thought about swapping in an LS, but I like my classics classic. I know I am always going to be messing with the carb and it will be less fuel efficient, but I like knowing that this is close to what my grandpa had. If this was going to be my dd I'd definitely be putting in an LS.
Totally get it. Good luck with the project! Should be a special truck when you're done!
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:30 PM   #7
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstump View Post
I am picking up my grandpas '69 C30 here soon. It has been sitting in a barn untouched for over 30 years. I am planning to throw in a JEGS branded 350 w/ Vortec heads, replace the fuel system, throw in a new wiring harness, and a clutch. I will also do fluid changes on the transmission (SM465 I believe) and axle. Is there anything obvious that I will need to replace while I have it torn apart to get it running? I would immediately do the breaking system, but I would like to go to front disks and that seems to be more involved on the C30s.

Thanks
Great score Grandpa's Truck! Remember pic's or it didn't happen
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:16 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Wait and see what it needs is all I can say. That rat ripped out the wiring could be the primary wire chewed through in one spot. That engine could be just fine. I don't need to mess with carburetors all the time on my trucks. Hardly ever. How many miles are on the C/30? Single or dual rear wheel? Pickup or what bed? What was it used for?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:22 PM   #9
Richard2112

The voltage regulator might be a consideration ir it still has the external. But maybe it's fine for now. Be good to see some pics
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:43 PM   #10
Stephen717

Are you planning on tossing the old motor? If it's not locked up you might be able to get a little something for it, and when it comes to project trucks like these every little bit helps
Stephen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:52 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If you plan on driving it a lot and want something that is more fun to drive and still a work truck do this....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=673588

As long as you are going to have it apart anyway it would be easy to do......

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:54 PM   #12
68bowtie

The first thing you always need to do is post pictures for us. After that, like you said engine and brakes, I’d add pulling the gas tank to clean it out and add fresh gas and a new sending unit.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:43 PM   #13
67mater

first, pictures; we are all locked up and we need them. second, having just resurrected a mystery truck I can agree that a good plan is to know what related systems work, and as many can attest first had chewed up wiring causes fires, so regardless of the engine swap, spent too much time going over every nook and cranny, checking continuity and making sure the wiring is functional on any system you need. possibly even pulling fuses on systems you dont right away.

third, past a weekend hot wire, fuel system is an often overlooked dilemma. I have had great luck with KBS coatings gas tank kit which includes cleaning, rust converting and sealing. at a minimum, good clean fuel is a must.

Lastly, look over the functional components like suspension, exhaust routing, etc. What I mean is that I found some things not where they should be, damaged, in my case modified by a prior owner and that would have damaged things. like a speedo cable melted by the exhaust and a shackle bolt that is way undersized.

and good luck!!

1967 K10
1967 Camaro
67mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:55 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

You can roam through catalogs and make your shopping list, but once you get the truck it will tell you where the money needs to be spent. As far as total systems go, reliability and safety should start with the brakes. We know sitting does that system no good.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #15
sgtstump

Thank you all. I was looking at doing brakes immediately too, but there are no prebent kits for the C-30 that I can find. It seems like having the 1 ton is going to give me more trouble than I want for certain parts. I will need to start hunting for a squarebody C-30 to pull parts from for the disks. This is a short step. It was primarily used as a farm truck. My grandpa has a great reputation on taking care of everything he owns, but once he got a newer truck in the 80s this became his kids truck and thats when it started getting ignored. My grandma said the truck has around 60k miles on it and it never rolled over. My grandpas brother bought it new in New Mexico, then my grandpa bought it from him and drove it up to Arkansas where it spent its entire life on the farm.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2020, 08:28 AM   #16
35boulder

flip for you
35boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:30 AM   #17
35boulder

here they are
Attached Images

35boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #18
sgtstump

Thanks for the flip. It has been awhile since I have been on forums. Relearning the ropes
Old 04-01-2020, 08:55 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

That Sandalwood dash pad is in precious condition. Never seen such a nice one in decades. The truck must have been kept under cover. Get used to calling it a 1 ton Stepside, C/30 Stepside, or 9' Stepside. Not at all a short step, more like a long long step.

Your brake lines, other than front to back length, will be no different from a C/20. You can use the brakes, too.

By the way, welcome to the site!

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-01-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #20
67C10Step

Oh my, that was in Arkansas? If you have not started cleaning it yet you will be amazed how well that truck will most likely clean up.

More photos please.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #21
sgtstump

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That Sandalwood dash pad is in precious condition. Never seen such a nice one in decades. The truck must have been kept under cover. Get used to calling it a 1 ton Stepside, C/30 Stepside, or 9' Stepside. Not at all a short step, more like a long long step.

Your brake lines, other than front to back length, will be no different from a C/20. You can use the brakes, too.

By the way, welcome to the site!
The truck has always been in a barn or garage. My grandpa NEVER left equipment of his out in the elements. It could be a longbed, I'm not really sure TBH, and I only get up there about once a year.

From what I was seeing all the pre bent tubes and disk brake conversions only came in C/10 and C/20. I thought I needed to get the parts from a 73 to 88 C/30 with disks to do it on my truck. Could I use the C/20 kit and just have 3/4 ton capability on the front end?
Old 04-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #22
sgtstump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
Oh my, that was in Arkansas? If you have not started cleaning it yet you will be amazed how well that truck will most likely clean up.

More photos please.
Yeah, my family has a farm outside of Harrison. I will get more pics when I pick it up (maybe next weekend). I don't want to keep making my grandma run out there and take pictures for me.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #23
MARKDTN

Nice truck!. I still say I would try to get it running before you rip the heart and wiring out. I'll bet with a carb rebuild, fuel lines, a pump, and maybe a tank it would run again.

I was tasked with getting a mid 60s boat running again that had been sitting since 1976. And what I did not realize until after I was done that the fuel in the tank was put there in 1976 on the way back from the last trip to the lake (I thought it was fresh). I cleaned the carb and the points and it ran great.

It's your truck and your money but I would not just throw an engine in it right off the bat. It probably will have a dry/bad rear main seal after sitting so long, but with only 60k miles there should be life left in that original engine.

As far as brake lines, if you get the C20 lines that should get you very close. You might have to bend a little here or there, but you should be in the ballpark.

Good luck whatever you decide.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #24
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Nice truck! I want to see pics after a bath. I bet the old girl will run pretty easily.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #25
sgtstump

I have a clean Edelbrock carb that's just sitting here to test with. I guess I can try spinning the engine then throw that on to see if it will work then go from there. I guess we will see how well these last sitting in a barn.

I am planning on doing the under bed conversion for the gas tank. I will go ahead and order that so I can install it before I do the wood bed.