The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2024, 01:15 PM   #1
Chaparralman1974

Repair or Replace My Bed Sides

Morning all!

Well, I have started on the bed of my project. I need some advice / opinions on whether or not I should replace these bed sides or fix them. My goal is to have a nice looking driver.....not a show truck. Money is of course always important as I don't have an unlimited budget. I did acquire a few other bed sides that had been cut up from behind the wheel wells but the front portions are intact, so my original idea was to fix the holes in the side that were cut there for some kind of tool boxes. I was also contemplating putting a top rail cover on the tops of the bed sides to hide some of the dents and stuff that are on top.

All that said, it looks like I can get new bed sides for about $750 each. Should I even mess with these, or just go with new bed sides?

Clay
Attached Images

Build Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841272
Chaparralman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 02:07 PM   #2
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Lightbulb Re: Repair or Replace My Bed Sides

I would just replace them. The quality of them is pretty good, and the end result would be better.
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 02:17 PM   #3
mrein3

Re: Repair or Replace My Bed Sides

For what it's worth, I might consider different bed sides given the shape those are in.

When I did my bed, I started with a dismantled bed I found on craigslist over in cheesehead land. It was in a bit better shape, but not much better. Both sides had the fuel doors cut in, with the door long gone.

I started on the passenger side because I was still deciding on extra fuel tank which my truck had prior to this bed and also did I want a rear (Blazer) fuel tank.

I filleted the bed side. The inside of these beds never received paint so if you live anywhere there is moisture in the air, it is going to be rusty. I used a chin poker to remove the rust. Etched the steel. Fixed the fuel door hole. Epoxy primered the insides. Then welded it back together.

Given the amount of time that took, I called da-burb and ordered a new, repop bedside for the other side.

Now when I did this those repop sides were only $450. Even considering Bidenflation I don't know if I'd pay $750 for a side. BUT it did save me about two years of time given how much time a working father has to spend on a hobby.

That repop bedside looks really good. I only had to drill out spot welds on one brace and move it.

This probably doesn't help but I guess what I'm saying is if you only have a few hours of time every few weeks to work on those sides, I might consider a new or better used set.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 02:30 PM   #4
Chaparralman1974

The only thing that really bugs me most is the fact that the sides themselves are super straight....the top rails are all dicked up, but I think that the sides can be repaired. I know for certain that I am going to reuse the bed floor. It does need some help and has some bowing in it, but given the cost of those and the fact that mine is fairly solid I want to reuse it. I am also on the fence with the fenders. They are only like $60 each depending on where you look. $1500 is still a bit of cheddar to spend on bed sides.....I am still undecided.

Clay
Old 01-18-2024, 03:00 PM   #5
damnyankee36

The bed sides might be straight now, but I'm gonna bet they will be warped somewhat after you patch in those large areas. That's been my experience as I consider myself to have just mediocre skills.

I think if you have the time, attempt the repairs and go with plan "B" if you're not satisfied with the results.

Current Build: 1968 C10 (Semi-Factory Restoration)
1983 Camaro Z/28 (Next in line, Keeper)
1951 3100 (2nd in line)
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 03:15 PM   #6
blue betty

I am currently finding myself in the same situation on my 67. My passenger side needs a lot of work. I have decided to save up and buy the whole panel instead of repair it. The amount of time it would take to repair it in my opinion just isn’t worth it. Plus large repairs as that one inevitably would cause some warpage. Time is money. I think you would be happier in the end if you replaced it. I’m sure I will be once I have the cash to buy the replacement panel. I was in the autobody profession for 12 years and am pretty confident with my skills but I’m not even going to attempt to repair it. That’s my 2 cents. Good luck. 😀

1967 GMC Fleetside. (Betty)
1985 Chevy Shortbox 4X4.(Freddy)
blue betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 04:15 PM   #7
jeffahart

I think the real problem with repairing yourself is that: if you are a bit of a perfectionist, you may be spending lots of time that might be better spent elsewhere. Consider a whole new bed if you can scrape up the bucks, maybe get a wood floor too!

Good work and good luck!

j
Old 01-18-2024, 04:16 PM   #8
Accelo

Bondo, sand paper and welding all add up then you still have to clean up what's left by blasting.
I suspect the labor for installing replacement panels would be less than the repair time.
If your skill level is up to it maybe consider it.
Still my vote is for replacement. Because my welding skills are not that great.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 04:22 PM   #9
HO455
Post Whore

I think it comes down to the question. Are you excited by the challenge of saving those bed sides more than you are excited by driving your truck sooner rather than later. If your looking for the challenge of saving them I suggest looking at MP&C's 55 Chevy thread in the alternate tinkering section.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=564201

If your looking to enjoy driving sooner then you may be able to offset the cost of the new sides by selling patch panels from the panels you have.

Which if you want to sell them here you would need to have a premium membership. Something that everyone should have just because it's great! Posting want to buy ads makes locating parts simpler and is well worth the cost of admission.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 01-18-2024 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:18 PM   #10
damnyankee36

If the truck was an original and undergoing a full, correct restoration, then you might get more satisfaction by saving the bed.

But, I think you'll soon forget about cost after it's all said and done and it's back on the road. (Probably sooner than later).

Current Build: 1968 C10 (Semi-Factory Restoration)
1983 Camaro Z/28 (Next in line, Keeper)
1951 3100 (2nd in line)
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:32 PM   #11
LS short box

I used all repo pieces when I did my 68 short box. Sold my old bed for a few hundred bucks. It was a long box.
The repo parts fit well. No real issues. It's going to be a lot of block sanding for either old or repo. I went with a wood bed.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:48 PM   #12
Chaparralman1974

Well, I just finished disassembly of the bed. I had to disassemble the bed in order to store it. My garage and side yard have become a junk yard and I needed the space. At least I can lean it up against the fence now.

Yeah, the more that I am looking into this, I am thinking that I may be better off to go with a used bed in better condition, or go with all new repop parts. By the time I factor in sandblasting and materials, I am starting to think that it just isn't worth saving.

When I started the project, I was hell bent on saving as much of the GM metal as I could, but not if it is going to cost more money and add more headaches. Again, I just want a decent looking driver....not a show truck or a trailer queen. I will look around and see what is out there. Thanks for the sanity check fellas!

Clay
Old 01-18-2024, 05:55 PM   #13
Chevy nutcase

It's tough giving advice or from the owners perspective, taking advice. Only you know what you are capable of and what you want for an end result. As mentioned earlier the bondo, welding, and the unforeseeable stuff adds up at an evil pace. I'm up to my ears with my 66 doing the cab floor, rockers and lower pillar replacement and now the inner fenders and rad support are under the knife. The inner fenders are bad where they bolt to the grill structure and I initially thought to patch them but the rest of them aren't great so they are getting replaced. The rad support was rotten where it mounts to the frame so its being repaired as the rest of it is fine. From the pics you posted those bed sides look like they've served their time and need to go.
Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 06:31 PM   #14
howzzzit

Unless you are a really good body man you're gonna see a lot of boogers when it's painted. Go aftermarket. Sometimes a few alignment problems with holes, but you can overcome that problem. New bed floor about 1000.00. I bought one and picked it up to avoid freight and damage. Wish I had done it long before trying to fix the old one. It's actually the only aftermarket sheet metal where all the holes were dead on. Check Marketplace on Facebook. Lots of C10 parts on there. I sold an aftermarket bed front on the site in about an hour. Put my wife on there months ago. She's still here.

Last edited by howzzzit; 01-18-2024 at 06:40 PM.
howzzzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 06:34 PM   #15
Chaparralman1974

Yeah, the more I noodle on it, the more I am convinced that going with aftermarket is the way to go. It's all good....for now I will just focus on the front clip and then come back to the bed at a later date.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:47 PM   #16
howzzzit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparralman1974 View Post
Yeah, the more I noodle on it, the more I am convinced that going with aftermarket is the way to go. It's all good....for now I will just focus on the front clip and then come back to the bed at a later date.
Be looking all the time. People sell stuff on Marketplace and they don't know what it's worth. They will almost always take less if it's been on there any length of time.
howzzzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 06:50 PM   #17
jeffahart

I talked with these guys at Barrett Jackson last year. They fabricate their own cabs. I mention them because they are in Lake Havasu, you could, maybe, drive to get and save on shipping. At least you could ask them what they sell and what to stay clear of. That is if you decide on off the shelf for any of the components. https://www.premierstreetrod.com/shop/

j
Old 01-18-2024, 07:18 PM   #18
Warrens69GMC

Las Cruces
Attached Images

Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 08:16 PM   #19
Chaparralman1974

Yeah, there are definitely other options out there. Thanks again everyone! I think you all probably saved me a ton of money and headaches. :-)
Old 01-18-2024, 10:38 PM   #20
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: Repair or Replace My Bed Sides

since you're in arizona i'm sure you can find a nicer bed and save yourself a lot of time and $$$$. just my 2 cents worth.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote