The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2024, 11:52 PM   #1
novaX522

New 10K hitch install

Installed a new Curt 14082 10K hitch. The trailer I plan to pull will be in the 5-6k range when loaded. I like to setup for overkill, so a 10k sounded right. I researched on this site what hitch was recommended. I am very happy with it. Very nice quality, simple install, fits perfect. The hardware included thick steel shims to use for spacers between hitch and frame to clear rivets. There weren’t any rivets where I mounted the hitch, so I was able to mount it right to the frame. I did use the thick shims on the top of the frame as reinforcement.
I’ll have my friend that’s a fabricator look at it to see if he thinks the frame area needs any reinforcement.
Attached Images

novaX522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 10:24 AM   #2
adf5565

Re: New 10K hitch install

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaX522 View Post
Installed a new Curt 14082 10K hitch. The trailer I plan to pull will be in the 5-6k range when loaded. I like to setup for overkill, so a 10k sounded right. I researched on this site what hitch was recommended. I am very happy with it. Very nice quality, simple install, fits perfect. The hardware included thick steel shims to use for spacers between hitch and frame to clear rivets. There weren’t any rivets where I mounted the hitch, so I was able to mount it right to the frame. I did use the thick shims on the top of the frame as reinforcement.
I’ll have my friend that’s a fabricator look at it to see if he thinks the frame area needs any reinforcement.
Looks good! I used the same hitch on my 72 C20 as well. I did have to use a 1/4" plate as spacer between the frame channel and the hitch in order to lower the hitch just enough to clear my LMC rear step bumper. And I also did add a 1/4" x 2" x 2" angle (or it could've been 2.5"x2.5", whatever the C-channel flange width was) on the inside of the frame to reinforce it. Not sure if it is needed but that angle iron is bolted to the frame itself (obviously), the overload leaf spring mount, and the bumper brackets so I felt it tied everything together for more strength. I'll post a pic when I get home just for everyone's reference.
adf5565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 10:51 AM   #3
Sheepdip

Curt makes nice hitches, have used many over the years that fit/work well.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:31 PM   #4
novaX522

Quote:
Originally Posted by adf5565 View Post
Looks good! I used the same hitch on my 72 C20 as well. I did have to use a 1/4" plate as spacer between the frame channel and the hitch in order to lower the hitch just enough to clear my LMC rear step bumper. And I also did add a 1/4" x 2" x 2" angle (or it could've been 2.5"x2.5", whatever the C-channel flange width was) on the inside of the frame to reinforce it. Not sure if it is needed but that angle iron is bolted to the frame itself (obviously), the overload leaf spring mount, and the bumper brackets so I felt it tied everything together for more strength. I'll post a pic when I get home just for everyone's reference.
Thanks! Looking at that area of the frame, looks like there’s several ways to reinforce it. Be interested in seeing what others have had luck with.
novaX522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 03:57 PM   #5
MikeB

That's one seriously stout hitch!
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:01 PM   #6
68williams

Did you have to drill holes on both side or was there holes already there to bolt too??
Thanks
68williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:38 PM   #7
54blackhornet

I like your thinking ! Always a pleasure knowing that trailer is secure and not going anywhere…Nice job !