The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
ranger danger

14 bolt locker

I just got a used 1980 14 bolt FF for my 69 C20 Suburban. I dropped it off at the diff. shop for a freshen up, new bearings, seals etc. It's an open diff and they are putting in 3.73 gears. I'm trying to decide which traction device I want installed. It's between a Detroit locker, eaton posi and a truetrac. Which one would you guys suggest? The truck is a DD and I use it for towing a travel trailer as well. It's not 4x4 and I don't treat it like one but, I do wild camping so traction off road is a must!!
US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
ranger danger

Re: 14 bolt locker

I decided on the Trutrac.

Detroit TrueTrac

Based on the worm gear principal and works like clutch type positraction. Does not wear out, not recommended for tall tires over 33".

Detroit Truetracs are similar in design to the Gleason Torsen(R), only the Truetracs hold up well with reasonably tall tires. They use worm wheel gears that work on the same principle as a worm gear. When the unit is loaded, the worm wheels are forced away from each other and against the case. They develop locking torque by the light friction between the worm wheels and the case. This light friction is multiplied by the ratio of the worm wheel which depends on the size of the worm wheel relative to the size of the side gear. The manufacturer can change the amount of torque biasing or lockup by simply changing the diameter of the gears, or the pitch and spiral of the teeth. A larger difference in the size for the worm wheels and side gears (smaller worm wheels and larger side gears) will increase the lockup force. Increasing the pitch and spiral of the teeth will also increase the lockup forces. Like everything, there is a limit as to how much lockup force is reasonable. Making the unit too "aggressive" will cause tire scrub during everyday driving and will cause the unit to wear out too quickly. All of the feedback that I have received from customers indicates that the unit works very well for mud and snow, while going unnoticed during every day driving. When used in situations like rocky trails where one wheel gets off the ground, the unit will not lock up 100%. Light application of the brakes will help the differential engage more transferring power to the tire that is still on the ground. For extreme situations where the vehicle will have one wheel in the air often a locking differential provides better power transfer to the wheel on the ground.

Detroit Truetracs are designed for medium duty 2WD and 4WD applications. They work well in the front and rear, and are so smooth that there is little or no hint of resistance in the steering wheel when used in front drive steering axles. Like the Gleason Torsen, the Detroit Truetrac does not bang or clunk, has no clutch chatter, does not wear out like clutch type positractions, does not need limited slip additive, and needs no preload or clearance adjustments.

Almost sounds too good to be true doesn't it? The only drawbacks to the Truetracs are their inability to provide lockup 100% like a locking differential can. Although Gleason no longer makes the Torsen differential, the Detroit Truetrac is a proven design that is available for many popular applications. (aftermarket) 1 yr warranty

The Detroit Truetrac was the first helical gear differential ever introduced into the automotive aftermarket as an Eaton brand. It remains the leading helical gear-type limited slip differential in the industry. Detroit Truetrac's proven helical gear design eliminates the need for wearable parts, resulting in maintenance free traction. Recognized not only for its toughness but also it's smooth and quiet operation.

Engineered to work efficiently in front and rear axles, semi-floating (C-clip axles) and transfer cases. Power transfer is so smooth, it literally goes unnoticed by the driver - even in front wheel drive axles.

Proven design, low cost and effective performance, all make the Detroit Truetrac limited slip differential the ideal choice for a wide variety of vehicle applications. No maintenance - Just Traction.

Smooth operation

Performs open until needed

Fully automatic limited slip
NRA Life Member

Old 02-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
Bigdav160

I was going to say Trutrac for a street going machine. I lean locker for off-road
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #4
ranger danger

Ya a locker is pretty aggressive. The truetrac is a stronger big brother to the limited slip and no maintenance or limited slip additive.
NRA Life Member

Old 02-16-2017, 10:41 PM   #5
RDrancher

You are going to love the truetrac. They are very smooth.

One tip - If you get in a bad spot with one rear wheel really light or off the ground, just ride the brake a bit as you use the throttle and the truetrac will lock up tight. That's the only time you'll actually hear it work.