The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
Dean'smeanmachine

How i converted my '72 to Hydroboost for $35! (Lots of pictures)

Hi all! First off, I am working on a 5.3/th400 swap into a '72 Chevy c/20.

I was thinking one afternoon while working on the thing, "i've got 100 more hp than i did with the old 350, i should probably do something about the brakes" Now keep in mind the Brakes were NEVER that great. even with the disks up front. So i decided to go Hydroboost (and go through all the brakes, replace pads, shoes,and so forth) So i headed to my favorite local junkyard and pulled a hydroboost unit off a late 80's 1 ton Chevy truck. I also grabbed all the lines and pulled some lines off of other hydroboost vehicles.

Now you may be wondering, What the heck is hydroboost? Hydroboost is a Booster than runs off power steering pressure rather than Vacuum from the engine. it creates more steady break pedal feel and transfers more pressure. it also has many other advantages such as it takes up less room, great for diesels and cammed engines that don't create enough vacuum for a regular vacuum booster.

I'm creating this thread in hopes to help anyone who is planning on going hydroboost. of course the results with vary depending on your engine type and what vehicle you are working on but this is how i did it.

Ok i'll start here.

Junkyard Hydroboost and lines: $30

Can of black rustoleum spray paint: $5
Attached Images

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Dean'smeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote