The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
D13

Reseal a used 700R4?

I swear I've sen this but I cant find it, so here goes.

The trans in the 87 R10 is having issues. Late on the first 1-2 shift of the day, TCC goes in and out when she gets hot and it likes to weep a little in the front - I'm thinking front seal and those pesky shaft rings. Truck is probably not worth the price of a rebuilt trans.

Picked up a 4L60 (700r4), out of a 92 C10, 15k on a supposed GM rebuild. K case turned 2wd. Truck it was in was totalled but driveshaft was not bent and trans case appears fine. Trans has set in the garage for about a year. To use it I need to swap some wiring (TCC on diesel is pressure / speed controlled not ECM controlled), TV cable (diesel is different length) and governer.

My question is, since it has been sitting and I ahve it out, what seals shoudl I replace? Pan, filter, and governer reseal are on the list. What about front and rear, and possibly dipstick seal? Or should I just throw it in and drive it?

As always, thanks for your support.
Plus a mess o' tractors

Last edited by truckdude239; 05-18-2018 at 08:05 PM.
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Re: Reseal a used 70rings.0R4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
I swear I've sen this but I cant find it, so here goes.

The trans in the 87 R10 is having issues. Late on the first 1-2 shift of the day, TCC goes in and out when she gets hot and it likes to weep a little in the front - I'm thinking front seal and those pesky shaft rings. Truck is probably not worth the price of a rebuilt trans.

Picked up a 4L60 (700r4), out of a 92 C10, 15k on a supposed GM rebuild. K case turned 2wd. Truck it was in was totalled but driveshaft was not bent and trans case appears fine. Trans has set in the garage for about a year. To use it I need to swap some wiring (TCC on diesel is pressure / speed controlled not ECM controlled), TV cable (diesel is different length) and governer.

My question is, since it has been sitting and I ahve it out, what seals shoudl I replace? Pan, filter, and governer reseal are on the list. What about front and rear, and possibly dipstick seal? Or should I just throw it in and drive it?

As always, thanks for your support.
Since the trans is out of the vehicle, the good used trans should have the seals replaced....I would replace the front and rear seals (make sure you put the retainer back over the front seal)...make sure the TC hub is not worn from the pump bushing, and make sure the o-ring at the end of the trans input shaft is not hard, replace it anyways...its the same o-ring that goes on the TCC solenoid.....

replace the items you mentioned above...if you don't, there is always that chance of a leaker...no one wants a trans that leaks... Good Luck !!!!!
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
Tom
driving is in my blood

Re: Reseal a used 70rings.0R4?

Diesels have a lower stall on the converter too don't forget.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Re: Reseal a used 700R4?

I believe the VB is calibrated differently as well, so be careful swapping things around to a non-gas trans.
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote