The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2019, 12:48 AM   #1
Awann99

National Parks C10

Hello all,
I’ve decided that I want to turn my 1969 gmc into a National Parks tribute truck. I’ve always enjoyed my local parks and want the truck to stick out a little more and catch the eye of more people than just classic truck enthusiasts like ourselves. I thought a gmc would be a better choice then a Chevy because generally I see them used as fleet trucks today more than chevys. If anyone has any photos of a 67-72 gmc or Chevy government service vehicle or forestry truck I would greatly appreciate a copy of it.
I’m leaving the truck 2wd.
I’m thinking of upgrading the shocks and leafs to make it a c2500 and adding cab lights and bumper guards and tow hooks.
Maybe even a brush guard.
I think to make it more accurate on the interior I should go with a plain bench seat and no trim levels. I feel like a Sierra Grande National Parks truck would be cool but I think it would be a little too nice for a service truck.
I will install ac for comfort even though I know the government in 1969 wouldn’t have ordered it.
I plan on getting a set of 6 lug steel wheels with the basic gmc hub caps for it.
I’m not sure on mirrors yet. Maybe the basic round head ones or the medium tripods. The West coats jrs are temporary.
Any ideas or suggestions to this build would be great. I want to add the National Parks logo to the doors and lettering to the fenders. Any suggestions of a good decal website? I would prefer hand painted. But the moment I mention that the painting is taking place on a truck people get cold feet for some reason.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Awann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: National Parks C10

I've had the same thoughts for a built for quite some time. I have visions of the trucks I saw back in the day. It's a departure from fire dept brush trucks where you don't need to source all the fire equipment. That theme is best done with an actual retired unit. Military would be another, but I'm a nature lover at heart.

state and local parks tended to use the Woodland Green (505), which was both a fleet color and offered to the public. Dept of Intereior/USPS used a pale green GM did not offer the consumer public. That is the color I would use and use the arrowhead logo on the door. A Fenderside/Stepside would make the truck most convincing and that is how I intend to do mine.

I'm on a new computer and have yet to gather my photos from my old broken one. So no pictures to offer, sorry.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
Seanext

My Father in law worked for the US Forest Service in GA and retired in the early 80's. He would buy the old Forest service truck to use on his property so there was always one or two sitting around. They were the basic truck no a/c, no radio, bench seat, manual dome light, no cigar lighter, step side, posi traction, 6 cyl, and four speed. They were either dark green or a lighter green, not sure on the paint codes.
Seanext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I managed to obtain an unused NPS arrowhead logo patch. I need to find a brown cap to have it stitched to. I always wanted to work for the NPS, still might before it's all over. But I can at least be a wannabe

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
fb111ewo

Sounds like my plans also. I'm making mine into a Missouri Department of Conservation forestry truck. It's heading to the painter this week for the 505 green paint. They were definitely plane jane trucks in the day. My dad's 68 state truck was a 6cyl, three speed on the column, no radio, PS or PB. I've already got the old forestry decals (MO went to a new triangle decal type in the early 70's). My only concern would be the NPS decal - since they are still used, and are a federal government agency, I don't know how or if that would be an issue - they are pretty protective on that (copyright).

I see that you are up at Dover TN - close to Ft Donelson NB. You might check with them (probably will get a standard bureaucratic response though). I'm down here in Murfreesboro, and volunteer for the NPS at Stones River NB, so I've seen some of the bureaucracy they have to deal with. HA! Good luck on you build and let me know if I can help in any way!

Here's some info on the use of the NPS logo:
The Arrowhead Symbol is the registered service mark of the National Park Service (NPS), protected by the trademark laws of the United States (see the Lanham Act, 15 U.S.C. §§1051--1141n, in particular §1053). Its use is further governed by part 11 of title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations (36 CFR). Section 11.3 of 36 CFR allows use of the arrowhead only as authorized by the Director of the NPS, and then only for "uses that will contribute to purposes of education and conservation as they relate to the program of the [NPS]. Additional protections for the arrowhead are found in section 701 of title 18 of the United States Code which specifically prohibits the unauthorized manufacture, sale, or possession of "any badge, identification card, or other insignia " of any department or agency of the United States, and forbids the manufacture of any "engraving, photograph, print or impression of any such badge, identification card, or other insignia, or any colorable imitation thereof."
Attached Images

Last edited by fb111ewo; 12-11-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: additional info
fb111ewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I figured I'd alter my arrowhead logo to say something else and maybe use an animal other than a buffalo. Although I am a fool for the buffalo. I live on Buffalo Rd and up home by the homeplace is Buffalo Run. I'd check into the legality of using the logo before using a true replica. My NPS truck with have the look from the outside only. Interior and drivetrain will be to suit me

My Harley is painted black with no emblems or anything added. It's a Heritage Softail that has the look of a Panhead at a glance. I want to paint white panels or silver and add a gold star on the tank sides. I also have the red & blue spot lamp bulbs. I want to give it the look of a former police bike someone stripped down, did chrome work, and added drag pipes. If I have to I'll leave the red & blues unconnected and put something on the gold star that makes it clear I am not impersonating a police vehicle. It's a 30 year old bike trying to look like a 60 year old cop bike... and altered except paint job. I see classic cop cars often. I figure they get away with it since no police force runs cars from the '50s and '60s.

Tim

Old 12-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
hooverfish

Picture from an old thread on this site, Yosemite GMC.
Attached Images

"It's a sorry man who can't find his wife a good job"
hooverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I found and posted that, I believe. That is a vendor vehicle, but it does use the Dept of Interior light green and what looks to be a bit brighter than factory Dark (Woodland) Green. I love the look of that truck... chrome 19.5 five & dime buds on a C3500 with 11,000# axle option. Custom 5th wheel bed ain't too shabby either. Notice the GMC letters were eliminated on the hood, too

Tim

Old 12-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #9
72 tigger

I like your plan- looking forward to it coming together
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote