The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2019, 12:18 AM   #1
Bushman66

Pretronix Ignitor 1181 Lobe Sensing question

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548011

So, reading through this thread, "HEI451" (account suspended) in Posts #6 and #8 seems to indicate that the proper way to wire the Pertronix Ignitor (lobe sensor) is to simply connect the red wire to the positive coil terminal, and the black wire to the negative coil terminal, use the factory coil and and wiring to the coil in place, and run it? Am I understanding this correctly?

I'm ok with this approach, I am not trying to make a poor man's HEI (HEI conversion is down the road). I simply want to run the Ignitor as a set of electronic points.

Just want to confirm, no need to change the factory wiring to the coil, correct? Simply add the red and black Ignitor wires to "+" and "-" on the coil and run it?

Thanks!
Bushman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
pncmathias

Re: Pretronix Ignitor 1181 Lobe Sensing question

That is how I did it and it works fine for the last 6 years.
pncmathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
Bushman66

Thanks pncmathias. I'm going to wire it this way first, and if I run into any problems, I'll leave the resistor wire in place and connect the red Ignitor wire directly to UNFUSED IGN circuit at the fuse box.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:04 AM   #4
Bushman66

Welp...I think wiring it directly to the coil will be a no-go. I tested the voltage at the coil "+" terminal in "Run" and its only 5.8V, probably too low to make the Ignitor run properly, so I'll leave the resistor wire on the coil, and wire the red Ignitor wired to the Unfused IGN circuit on the fusebox. Bummer...
Old 11-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
vince1

If the coil is meant to run with a resistor wire it will be short lived by running it on 14.3 alternator voltage. Ask me how I know. Open the hood at night and you will see it glow blue around the coil wire output, and then it will die.

I have been using Petronix in a 6 cyl Delco distributor with Petronix coil at 14.3 volts for a few years now. No problems so far. If it quits the spare HEI goes in.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
Bushman66

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
If the coil is meant to run with a resistor wire it will be short lived by running it on 14.3 alternator voltage. Ask me how I know. Open the hood at night and you will see it glow blue around the coil wire output, and then it will die.

I have been using Petronix in a 6 cyl Delco distributor with Petronix coil at 14.3 volts for a few years now. No problems so far. If it quits the spare HEI goes in.
I'll leave the resistor wire in place to protect the coil, and wire the red wire of the Pertronix Ignitor directly to the unfused IGN circuit on the fuse panel. That way the coil doesn't get cooked with excess voltage, and the Ignitor gets the full 12 volts from the ignition circuit to make it happy.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:47 PM   #7
vince1

That should work. I never thought to do it that way.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #8
pncmathias

You can get the Pertronix coil that is internally resisted and loose the resistor wire.
pncmathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #9
Bushman66

Quote:
Originally Posted by pncmathias View Post
You can get the Pertronix coil that is internally resisted and loose the resistor wire.
I have the Pertronix coil, but it's too fat for the factory coil bracket that bolts to the intake (a dumb reason, I know). haha