The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
JimKW

98 GMC Envoy ABS Problem

First post here. I use Msg Boards quite a bit and did do a quck search and I know if I really searched harder I could probably find an answer, but I don't have time right now so I thought I would just ask.

In my 98 GMC Envoy, that I use primarily for towing a boat, the ABS light will come on intermittently and stay of for a while then go out. Last night it did not go out until I started backing down the boat ramp.

One time last week I was driving it without the boat and the brakes acted real strange. I was going real slow and stepped on the brakes and it felt like it was not going to stop. The brake pedal kind of pulsated and it was slowing down, but not braking like normal. Kind of hard to explain, but you could feel the ABS, but not a normal feel like you would if on a slippery road. I was on perfect dry pavement and then it happened again as I was going down the driveway with the boat on the back. It stops doing it very quickly and then the brakes seem to work fine.

If this happened on my 850 Volvo's I would think my ABS module was bad, but really don't know much about the Envoy.
JimKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
bwood

Re: 98 GMC Envoy ABS Problem

The sensation you probably felt was the ABS system coming on. On the full size trucks, issues with the ABS wheel sensors have caused similar issues to yours. I don't know where yours are mounted, but the should be behind the front brakes. There should be a ring that looks like a gear mounted right behind the front brake assy, it spins with the rotation of the front wheel. Mounted stationary on the out side of the ring (not touching) will be a pick up assy that is watching the ring spin. This pick up can attract and hold anything with small amounts of metal and in general just be extremely dirty and cause the ABS system to not read it correctly. The ABS codes can be read with an appropiate code reader, I'm also thinking you can jump a couple of the terminals in the ALDL connector under the dash, but I can't remember if you can do this on this on this new of a vehicle.

You may also try in HERE , this is the S10 section of the site.
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F

Last edited by bwood; 08-06-2010 at 09:15 AM.
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: 98 GMC Envoy ABS Problem

to the forum!

We're always glad to have new members.

Like bwood says, we also have other forums that are specific to body styles and year models, as well as component-specific sub-topics.

So, come in and sit a spell....it's HOT outside!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote