The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
JimDirt

Anyone know about this wiper setup for our trucks ?

Just thought it was interesting , it says it fits/works on the 58 (which i have)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161825807900...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
JimDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:05 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: Anyone know about this wiper setup for our trucks ?

Looks VERY "universal" and would require making it fit much like any other motor that didn't fit.

Notice it says it's "compatible" with 852 vehicles! No kidding!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:58 PM   #3
JimDirt

Yea , i saw that , it just said that its the kit a lot of people use for hot rodding , customizing , etc , , so i was not sure if anyone had tried one , and tried to make it work (if its feasible) as a replacement for our older truck wiper systems , making it more updated/modern/less quirky

It just looked "promising" , and definitely less costly than some replacement units i have seen
Old 10-31-2016, 12:07 AM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

My understanding is they get noisy after a while, You may be happier with a Newport or RainGear system that's more specific to the truck your putting it in
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:35 AM   #5
JimDirt

Yea , the Raingear is out of my price range , the Newport is closer , but it says it wont replace a electric wiper system without converting the arms , etc , i need to check under the dash when the weather breaks ( the truck is outside under a tarp till i get my shop built , which is on hold till my broken wrist/arm heals up in another 6-12 months) and see if mine is the electric , or vacuum wiper , i am guessing its easy to tell the difference , i just remember the wipers being "quirky" , they either went slow , or really really fast depending on the speed you chose
Old 10-31-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
MARTINSR

Personally I love the vacuum wipers. I rebuilt the one in my truck years ago driving it every day. My Rambler that I drive now every single day has the original vacuum wipers. I put a little oil into the vacuum inlet to soften up the flap and wham, works like a charm. I love how they work.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
_Ogre

rainX is your friend
truk has electric wipers, though i have never used them
and i drive truk a lot

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:05 PM   #8
JimDirt

I use Rain-X washer fluid in my 90 Toyota truck/daily driver , and still have a large need for the wipers any time it rains , especially when a 18 wheeler goes flying by on the 2 lane Highway i drive regularly (U.S.95) , you end up with a windshield full of muddy mist thats bad enough you can't see 10 ft ahead , its like that with and without the Rain-X (Washer Fluid) , i can almost half empty my Washer Fluid Reservoir going to town and back on a real rainy day (30 miles each way) , its that bad sometimes , gotta have good working wipers here
Old 10-31-2016, 04:12 PM   #9
b00sted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDirt View Post
I use Rain-X washer fluid in my 90 Toyota truck/daily driver , and still have a large need for the wipers any time it rains , especially when a 18 wheeler goes flying by on the 2 lane Highway i drive regularly (U.S.95) , you end up with a windshield full of muddy mist thats bad enough you can't see 10 ft ahead , its like that with and without the Rain-X (Washer Fluid) , i can almost half empty my Washer Fluid Reservoir going to town and back on a real rainy day (30 miles each way) , its that bad sometimes , gotta have good working wipers here
I think they are talking about the rain x that you apply to your windshield like a wax and not the kind that goes in a washer jug... The one that is applied works very well.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:29 PM   #10
JimDirt

Got ya , I just figured Rain-x is Rain-x , but when a Semi blasts dirty muddy wetness at you , you still need good wipers , just sayin ..
Old 10-31-2016, 05:26 PM   #11
dsraven

how about if you just use the stock wiper posts and arms, get a wiper motor from something that is really common and cheap at the wreckers. then fab a bracket under the dash and connect the dots with a modified arm system. use the old arm system and modify the crank from the old motor to work on your new motor. that way the crank will be the same length so the length of travel for the wipers will be the same. can't be that tough, it's just steel, cut and weld the two cranks together so they end up the same length as the old crank was or custom fab a whole new crank. then it is a matter of mounting the motor in a position that will fit under the dash and allow the wipers to "park" at the correct spot on the window.if you are using a newer style steering column you can use the original wiper switch to make it all work and add in the washer pump as well.
another route to try is a wiper motor from heavy equipment, like a rubber tired backhoe or some sort of agricultural equipment like a farm tractor. just try to find a motor from something common so you won't have an issue down the road if you need a replacement.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:08 PM   #12
av8tr33337

There are several posts where guys used the rear window wiper motor from a blazer on AD trucks. Not sure if it would work for task force, etc. A guy on YouTube has a channel called Mrhevyshevy and he used one on his 55 second series now that I think about it. It's not that complicated if you have some moderate fabrication skills. One guy here on the forum also made several kits and was selling them, but I cant remember the name.

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #13
JimDirt

Correct me if i am wrong , but isn't the TF wiper motor oscillating ? , i thought it went back and forth , not in a circle like most "modern" wipers motors , due to the configuration of where the the pivots are placed in the cowl vent ??
Old 10-31-2016, 07:01 PM   #14
OrrieG

Quote:
Correct me if i am wrong , but isn't the TF wiper motor oscillating ? , i thought it went back and forth , not in a circle like most "modern" wipers motors , due to the configuration of where the the pivots are placed in the cowl vent ??
Motor spins in a circle, lever regulators at arm pivots convert to back and forth across the glass.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:17 PM   #15
av8tr33337

To clarify my earlier post. The blazer rear window wiper motor oscillates. Not sure if this helps.

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:20 AM   #16
Clay54

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tr33337 View Post
There are several posts where guys used the rear window wiper motor from a blazer on AD trucks. Not sure if it would work for task force, etc. A guy on YouTube has a channel called Mrhevyshevy and he used one on his 55 second series now that I think about it. It's not that complicated if you have some moderate fabrication skills. One guy here on the forum also made several kits and was selling them, but I cant remember the name.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...r+wiper&page=2

The above link has several options for AD wipers so go back to the beginning to check it all. My copy of the link takes you to page two to get you to post #27 and #28 for the guy that was making the kit. The date is 6 years ago so he may not be doing it anymore. Clay
Clay54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:01 AM   #17
JimDirt

Thanks ,,, that looks a bit too involved for what i want , , i might just have to look more into that Newport motor that dwcsr mentioned ...
Old 11-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #18
yossarian19

I would lean toward junkyard units rather than aftermarket. Three reasons.
One, price. For something you are going to have to fabricate anyway, why spend a ton of money?
Two, Quality. Has anyone else noticed what utter junk most aftermarket parts are? I've never bought an after market part or kit that I didn't think was junk. Maybe I'm not spending enough...
Three, easy replacement. WHEN your after market part fails, you won't be able to get another one as easily as you can an OEM application.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #19
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
I would lean toward junkyard units rather than aftermarket. Three reasons.
One, price. For something you are going to have to fabricate anyway, why spend a ton of money?
Two, Quality. Has anyone else noticed what utter junk most aftermarket parts are? I've never bought an after market part or kit that I didn't think was junk. Maybe I'm not spending enough...
Three, easy replacement. WHEN your after market part fails, you won't be able to get another one as easily as you can an OEM application.
The Raingear kit is a bolt in no fabrication kit. Its the only one we use because of the quality of it.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #20
JimDirt

Yea , but its a bit out of my price range/budget , i am on a pretty tight budget if i want this truck to be drivable anytime soon *last time it ran was 2005* , as it is i have a lot of work to do (as soon as my hand/wrist heals enough to actually build my shop so i can start working on it) , gathering the parts i will need is going to be the main priority for now while i am healing , i can't even hold a bottle of water with my hand right now , let alone a wrench *well i can use my right hand , but its not really coordinated , and some things you just need 2 functioning hands *

So i am focusing on finding the parts to get it road worthy (engine rebuild,brakes,brake lines, steering box/column,electrical components *like wipers that work better than what is in it now* , windshield , door rubber , patch panels for the bottom of the door itself *which is why i need door rubber* *passenger* , gas tank *either relocated or larger stock replacement*) , this is just to get it road worthy so i can start driving it in some comfort and safety , not pimp it out.....

Anyway , i have to work within a reasonable budget to do what i need in a given amount of time....so if i go over on something , then it takes away from something else ... sucks , but its what i have to work with to accomplish my basic goals , i can eventually do more later , but the budget is controlling this part of the build for now ...
Old 11-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #21
yossarian19

Quote:
Anyway , i have to work within a reasonable budget to do what i need in a given amount of time....so if i go over on something , then it takes away from something else ... sucks , but its what i have to work with to accomplish my basic goals , i can eventually do more later , but the budget is controlling this part of the build for now ...
You just described my whole build thread.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #22
b00sted

Quote:
Got ya , I just figured Rain-x is Rain-x , but when a Semi blasts dirty muddy wetness at you , you still need good wipers , just sayin ..
I agree with that 100%.... I will be adding the purpose built kit to mine.. no since in re-inventing the wheel.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #23
_Ogre

Quote:
I use Rain-X washer fluid
rainX washer fluid can't compare to the original rainX, the ineffectual washer fluid gives rainX a bad name
wipers have this hypnotic effect of making ogre's eye lids heavy, even i the daytime
original rainX has no problem with passing or following semis

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #24
dew468

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
My understanding is they get noisy after a while, You may be happier with a Newport or RainGear system that's more specific to the truck your putting it in
that looks nothing like my original at all. mine goes in a circle also, not back and forth. I have a spare that works, but not sure I want to get rid of it. They are hard to find around here.
Attached Images

dew468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #25
65blackfleetside

I know that this is an old thread but read this if you are thinking about purchasing the universal wiper kit...
I purchased that wiper kit in Post 1 and wasted $120.00. That universal wiper kit will not work on our trucks. Its cable driven. It may work on a wider car body but our trucks are too narrow. The only way that I could mount the motor was near the oem mount area- This requires this cable system to snake around in S turns to pick up the connection to the wipers. The cable binds up. Motor came apart. I got the motor and linkage back up and running but realized it had to be mounted in a straight single line in order to work. I wasted a full day trying to make this work every which way I could think.

Don't waste your money and time like I did on this kit.