The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
jglassjr

Bump start

my bump start is not working.. one lead to each terminal and nothing..... this is older than Im use to working on,1959 235, what am I missing?
Im a BBC guy so this inline 235 is a new game for me... also a timing question... is there a link to a video of how to time this thing?? searched other posts and see something about lining up a BB on the flywheel thru a peep hole in the bellhousing?? also a clamp about what octane youre running?? I have ALOT to learn!!
Attached Images

Last edited by jglassjr; 09-08-2018 at 10:51 AM.
jglassjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
jglassjr

Re: Bump start

and is this the advance/octane tab? and this doesnt seem to be right.... I run 91 octane
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
mr48chev

Well where I come from "bump start" means you roll the truck down a slight incline and let the clutch out to "bump start" the engine.

That is what we here all a foot stomp starter. If it isn't working to make the starter work when you push/stomp down on the pedal that usually means that the contacts inside the switch need to be cleaned. It could on the other hand mean that your contacts on the cables aren't clean and or tight plus is your battery fully charged?

You don't need 91 octane in these engines unless you have modified them to get the compression up a lot.

Most guys will set that tab at 0 then use the timing light to set the timing with the ball loosening up the collar screw so that the distributor turns in the collar. get it set right on the ball there and then if you want to fine tune you can loosen the bolt and move the collar under the bolt a degree or so. Think of it as the "I think I need to move the timeing X degrees" mark.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
jglassjr

sorry.. remote bump start, so I can turn the motor over from under the hood.... I run one lead to each terminal on the starter and nothing...
Old 09-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
Foot Stomper

You can't engage the starter with wiring alone. You will need to stomp on the button inside the cab as it is a mechanical feature... thus Stomp Start.. nothing about a "bump" or "remote" at all. Thus my forum namesake "Foot Stomper"

Mr48Chev is absolutely correct about the timing and octane selector. If you want to learn more about the "octane selector" google that term exactly and you will have plenty of results to read but again, Mr48Chev summed it up perfectly.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #6
franken

Think of the old system as your foot is the solenoid... Looking at the pic in #1 suggests to me that a later truck starter win a solenoid might bolt in. I have a few vehicles with the horizontal bolt to BH starters. I've gotten rebuilt ones from the local parts store.
If the solenoid clears things, you might be able to convert and make things work as you want. Need a bit of wiring and a new key switch or a pushbutton tho...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
dsraven

if you wanted to "bump start" or engage the starter from under the hood you would need to, first ensure it is in neutral and the wheels are chocked, then move the mechanical starter linkage with some sort of manual method that would move the lever on the starter like it would if the pedal was stepped on (so forward into the little button on the solenoid). just ensure the manual method also allows the linkage to return to "not engaged" when released. if the key is on it may or may not actually start the engine.
if doing a tune up there are also valve lash adjustments to be made I believe.

try this site

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...to/56index.htm
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote