The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #26
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Re: REZ Engineering power steering kit- a mini review

I have done several conversions, utilizing the REZ Engineering kit, without incident and with a good outcome.

Since I was doing so many of them, I began fabricating a similar kit from .250" 304 stainless steel plate, lazer cut with Grade 8 fasteners. A little overkill, but I wanted something a bit stronger than the 3/16" mild steel & Grade 5 fasteners offered in many of the kits on the market.
Attached Images

LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #27
poncho_villa

Excellent picture above that shows how it all bolts in relation to the steering box. Installing this kit was one of the best and easiest upgrades I did.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #28
padresag

I feel that it would perhaps be a little more benificial if the inner plate was longer that the external plate as it would stretch the stress out over a greater distance.
Red (I meant Tony) I cannot understand your thoughts on the stainless plate being stronger in this application as it is just really being used as a spacer, not for structural strength
ron

Last edited by padresag; 04-29-2010 at 04:42 PM.
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #29
Ynotnow817

I have a 65 and have a 75 burb donor, would I need this kit?

Last edited by Ynotnow817; 04-29-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Ynotnow817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #30
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You'll need some sort of an adapter plate to mount a power steering box on your truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynotnow817 View Post
I have a 65 and have a 75 burb donor, would I need this kit?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #31
Ynotnow817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
You'll need some sort of an adapter plate to mount a power steering box on your truck.
Your link says that you don't think that a plate is necessary for a 2wd. Is that correct?
Ynotnow817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #32
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes that is my opinion. I've got 120,000+ miles on my Suburban without any issues with the steering box area of the frame. Of course my design puts all 4 steering box bolts in the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynotnow817 View Post
Your link says that you don't think that a plate is necessary for a 2wd. Is that correct?

Last edited by Captainfab; 04-29-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #33
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
I feel that it would perhaps be a little more benificial if the inner plate was longer that the external plate as it would stretch the stress out over a greater distance.
Red (I meant Tony) I cannot understand your thoughts on the stainless plate being stronger in this application as it is just really being used as a spacer, not for structural strength
ron
Ron:

In my humble opinion, 1/4" stainless steel is stronger than 3/16" mild steel. Also, I find brushed stainless to be a bit more appealing than red paint.

The idea of the coupled plates are, in fact, a structural element, intended to stiffen the frame rail in this area, due to the increased number of holes, as well as address the concentrated stresses in this area of the frame rail.

During the process of doing over 20 power steering conversions on '63-'66 Chevy/GMC trucks, both 2wd, 4x4 and 1/2 ton & 3/4 ton, I decided to do a heavier, nicer kit, that will not rust, due to being multi-layered. Obviously, you don't see it this way and you are entitled to your opinion. As in nearly every post I have put on this site, you always find a negative counter. Seemingly, you have a burr in your saddle for me and I am not sure why.

For those who are interested, I hope this information is helpful.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #34
CRGRS 66

Sorry to post on an old thread, but I was wondering what grade nut I should use to connect pitman arm to ps steering gear? I see a lock washer in one of your pics above, should I use a LW and a flat washer?
Thanks

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #35
ol_skool_chevy

Did you use your stock steering wheel or did you change to a smaller steering wheel? I was wondering about this in adding power steering what a difference in steering wheel size is over a stock steering box.....

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:00 PM   #36
AcampoDave

Ok, let me ask you guys something. I've been using a, REZ kit for years and I like it. However, my truck turns a bit sharper to the left than to the right. Alignment shop says its because the gearbox is now at a greater offset from the frame than stock. Anybody else out there have this same thing going on?
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:37 AM   #37
Chevy Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Ok, let me ask you guys something. I've been using a, REZ kit for years and I like it. However, my truck turns a bit sharper to the left than to the right. Alignment shop says its because the gearbox is now at a greater offset from the frame than stock. Anybody else out there have this same thing going on?
I think That wiould be the problem. I was going to take my pitman arm off and grind some of the teeth away and reset it to turn properly. I also used all of the suspension from a 75 chevy truck.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:45 AM   #38
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The difference in the turning from side to side can be adjusted when an alignment is done. That's what I have done with the few of my power steering box adapter plates that I have installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Old 05-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #39
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The difference in the turning from side to side can be adjusted when an alignment is done. That's what I have done with the few of my power steering box adapter plates that I have installed.
Hey Captain, would you be able to give me a little direction on the grade of nut I should be using on the pitman arm to gear box attachment, and should I use a flat washer and lock washer? Your bracket is a beauty by the way!

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:55 AM   #40
sharkskinman

Lilred.
U still making them?
sharkskinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #41
Chevy Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkskinman View Post
Lilred.
U still making them?
I think Tony is not in business anymore. Last I heard he was having health issues and never delivered on a cab but he sure took the payment.
You can order a Rez kit (if they still have them) or you can get one from Capt Fab.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:21 AM   #42
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I've recently heard that Tony is still up to his bad business pracitices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
I think Tony is not in business anymore. Last I heard he was having health issues and never delivered on a cab but he sure took the payment.
You can order a Rez kit (if they still have them) or you can get one from Capt Fab.