The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #276
TKCR

Re: My 86 build

Worked on the door jamb. It was missing a lot of clear, so I sprayed just a little color, and then the clear.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 11-25-2019 at 10:01 PM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:10 PM   #277
TKCR

Got the hinges back on. Now I just need help getting the door back on.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2019, 04:04 AM   #278
wixthedog

Those doors are heavy! For one person I normally use a jack and a 2x4 underneath, its sketchy but works. Otherwise a ratchet strap to a the garage ceiling works well enough.
1979 C20 RCLB - 350 - TH350 Auto
wixthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:38 AM   #279
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wixthedog View Post
Those doors are heavy! For one person I normally use a jack and a 2x4 underneath, its sketchy but works. Otherwise a ratchet strap to a the garage ceiling works well enough.
Yes they are heavy. We used jack stands with a blanket, for protection of the bottom of the door, when we took the door off. My ceiling in the garage is finished, so that part is out. Maybe after the holiday, I can find someone that will come over and at least get the door on. I can play with it later, getting it all lined up. It never was that great, so I’m really hoping all this helps.

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #280
TKCR

Passenger Door DONE. Got help from a fellow friend and Squarebody owner. Michael helped get my door back on and aligned. Turned out pretty darn good. The door closes pretty easily now and the alignment is good for the most part. And why I say “for the most part”, the door pops really bad when the handle button is pushed, to open the door. But if I start messing with the striker too much, I can get it to where it doesn’t pop as much, but the door is not flush then and it’s harder to shut the door. So I guess I need to live with the lesser of the evils.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #281
melks

Thumbs up Re: My 86 build

Just worked my way through this build thread. Very nice!
Old 12-04-2019, 06:51 PM   #282
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by melks View Post
Just worked my way through this build thread. Very nice!
Thank you!
Old 12-05-2019, 08:24 PM   #283
TKCR

So, moved over to the drivers door. Got the door off. Bushings are definitely bad on this side. The door would never stay open either. Don’t know if this is good news or not, but the bolt that is on the inside under the dash, it is not there. I wasn’t looking forward to doing this side, because the dash bezel and air vent needs to come out, to access this bolt. Going to do the same, clean the jamb up and add a little paint and clear coat. Then install new hinges.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2019, 01:17 AM   #284
StorminNorman

Do you sell just the seat covers for the DIY'er who wants to rebuild his own seat ?
Old 12-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #285
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
Do you sell just the seat covers for the DIY'er who wants to rebuild his own seat ?
No, and it’s because someone else make my covers for me. That gives me more time on the Restoration of the frame, tracks and hardware. And also building and shipping the seats.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #286
Greenlee

Nice work on the doors! When I moved into my house the previous owners left behind what appears to be a handicap shower stool that has adjustable legs. It became my door removal / install tool. I adjusted it so that it is the perfect height for the door to sit on while I line up the bolts. Lol

I noticed looking back through your build thread that your original seat cover is similar to what I have in my truck. You mentioned that it’s a 90’s seat. I think mine came out of a suburban. Mine has a small hole. Do you know if those 90’s covers are available for sale somewhere? I like the pattern better than the ones I see for sale at places like LMC. In fact you had a red bench seat for sale a while back that I thought about buying, but I wasn’t sure if I liked the material from the pics you had posted.

Here’s a pic of mine. You can barely see the hole. It’s in pretty good shape otherwise.
Attached Images

Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:16 AM   #287
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
Nice work on the doors! When I moved into my house the previous owners left behind what appears to be a handicap shower stool that has adjustable legs. It became my door removal / install tool. I adjusted it so that it is the perfect height for the door to sit on while I line up the bolts. Lol

I noticed looking back through your build thread that your original seat cover is similar to what I have in my truck. You mentioned that it’s a 90’s seat. I think mine came out of a suburban. Mine has a small hole. Do you know if those 90’s covers are available for sale somewhere? I like the pattern better than the ones I see for sale at places like LMC. In fact you had a red bench seat for sale a while back that I thought about buying, but I wasn’t sure if I liked the material from the pics you had posted.

Here’s a pic of mine. You can barely see the hole. It’s in pretty good shape otherwise.
I would take a needle & thread, and try to sew up that hole, it’s only going to bigger. As far as covers, Stock Interiors, are the only place I know of. But here’s the kicker on the seats & cover, they are glued to the foam. So it’s is really hard to replace the cover. In fact, I believe Stock Interiors states this about these covers, and they say just to install the new cover over the old. Not sure how that would look. I just know, when I had that upholstery guy do my 90’s seat, I didn’t like how it turned out at all.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #288
Greenlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
I would take a needle & thread, and try to sew up that hole, it’s only going to bigger. As far as covers, Stock Interiors, are the only place I know of. But here’s the kicker on the seats & cover, they are glued to the foam. So it’s is really hard to replace the cover. In fact, I believe Stock Interiors states this about these covers, and they say just to install the new cover over the old. Not sure how that would look. I just know, when I had that upholstery guy do my 90’s seat, I didn’t like how it turned out at all.
Oh wow. That’s good to know. Is the gluing unique to the 90’s? I think my foam is a different shape from the 80’s also. Seems like it’s formed for the driver instead of having a uniform shape all the way across. Not sure I have the skills to sew it up, but I guess I’ve got nothing to lose in trying. Lol
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #289
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
Oh wow. That’s good to know. Is the gluing unique to the 90’s? I think my foam is a different shape from the 80’s also. Seems like it’s formed for the driver instead of having a uniform shape all the way across. Not sure I have the skills to sew it up, but I guess I’ve got nothing to lose in trying. Lol
Yeah they started to glue the fabric to the formed from, after the 73-87 seats. Like 88 and up. I don’t know if they thought that was going to help with the wear & tear of the cover. You know, because the 73-87 seats were notorious for wearing big spots on the drivers side. Like these:
I get asked a lot about recovering the 88 & up, I won’t do them.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #290
TKCR

Got all the cleaning done, spray a little color & clear. I cut a slot in the bolt, that goes behind the dash, so once the bolt was started, I could tighten it from the outside with a screwdriver. Everything was going smoothly, and then it happened. I couldn’t quite get the bolt to start, so I tried to reach up in there with a socket, and I DROPPED IT!! Right down inside the jamb. Then I thought well while I’m trying to fish that out, I better take the bolt back out before I lose it. Well it went down into the abyss too!
Long story short, ended up taking out the bezel and air vent anyways. I could not find them with grabbers or a magnet. So I pull the grommet out, at the bottom of the jamb, in between the jamb & fender. I went to AutoZone to rent a scope. Once I could see where it was at, I was able to get both with the magnet. What a day!
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #291
TKCR

Since I have the dash somewhat taken apart on the drivers side. I remembered that I have gotten this 7pin module/buzzer from LDO. That way you have a buzzer for the headlights being left on. Finally got it swapped out today!
Top photo is the 6pin module
Bottom pic is the 7pin modules.
Here is the thread about the module swap and where to get them. I doubt LDO has them anymore. I’m in the junkyards all the time. I can’t ever to remember to grab these. I’ll try to from now on.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=729153
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #292
TKCR

Literally nothing to post, since the above post, Dec 7th. I have had the Flu and haven’t done ANYTHING, but move from the bed to the recliner. I even still have a complete interior that I bought from someone, in the back of my truck. That was picked up Dec 7th also. I am going out of my mind!
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2019, 09:35 PM   #293
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

sorry to hear about the flu... hope you are getting better!. as you are.. I too will be glad to have a update or 2 to read...

rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:29 AM   #294
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
sorry to hear about the flu... hope you are getting better!. as you are.. I too will be glad to have a update or 2 to read...

Because I landed in the ER on Christmas Day, found out I was extremely low on Potassium, It makes you feel like you have the flu. Aches & pains, weak. Too bad the doctors didn’t catch this sooner.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #295
LT7A

I'm glad you figured it out and hope you are feeling better.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #296
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I'm glad you figured it out and hope you are feeling better.
Thank you, I still have some recovery to do. I’m just glad someone finally fiqured it out. I had already went to Urgent Care, 2 weeks prior. They didn’t run any test. So that was a waste of time and money.
A week later, I did a follow up appt. with my Drs. They ran test, but 2 days later, no results. That’s why I ended up in the ER on Christmas Day, I thought I was on my way out, literally. I couldn’t breath! It would not have bothered me a bit to be admitted. But the IV and meds they gave me did help. Back to feeling a bit punky today, so I know it’s going to take time to recover.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:55 PM   #297
rgunlock

Sorry to hear you've felt so puny through the holidays, but they aren't over yet.
I hope you feel well to celebrate New Years!

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:51 AM   #298
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
Sorry to hear you've felt so puny through the holidays, but they aren't over yet.
I hope you feel well to celebrate New Years!
Nope spent New Years Eve and Day, still here in the hospital,in fact, from Dec 30 - the present. The have removed my gallbladder On Jan 4

Last edited by TKCR; 03-02-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:29 AM   #299
TKCR

Still not out of the Hospital. So tired of this!!!
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #300
Rich84

So sorry to hear that...Keep your chin up and I hope you feel better soon.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote