The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #51
BRL

Re: Headers or manifolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksworld View Post
.....and btw can you make baked potatoes in that tool box?

Now that's some funny stuff right there!

Actually the tool boxes get no warmer than the fenderwells, which is to say roughly room temperature or so.

Heat rises, how hot does your hood get?

And unlike modern car's, the whole underside of the engine bay is open, so plenty of air circulates in there.

Check out my Rockford Fosgate 8" sub between the seats!

In an enclosed cab, that is plenty of base to blow your ears off if you crank it up!

These old trucks are COOL!

BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #52
volksworld

ok the boxes look much farther away in that pic....had a buddy returning from a rained out race...had a cooler full of food...wrapped the hot dogs in aluminum foil and stuck them between the valve cover and exhaust manifold ( think it was a lincoln)....pulled over under an overpass to eat....shoulda seen the look on the face of the guy who pulled over to see if they needed help....
Old 04-26-2018, 11:55 PM   #53
BRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksworld View Post
....shoulda seen the look on the face of the guy who pulled over to see if they needed help....
So judging from your forum name, do you own a Bug?

I do, I just don't own the BMW anymore.

My friends grandson rolled his Ford pickup, so I sold the BMW to him.

Ain't about to part with with my '69 Stepside though!

That stereo in there flippin' Rocks!

Ford trucks are built TOUGH...but they don"t like to be rolled!

Thank God that kid didn't even get a scratch!

BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:12 PM   #54
BrianG

Headers won't leak if you install them correctly. Use the ''Copper Plus" Permatex in place of collector gaskets. Can also be used in place of the header gasket. It won't leak then and is not a bit deal to get apart. The copper header manifold gaskets are really nice also. They have been really good to me so far. And the new Headers have a ball socket which really helps a lot also. The alow a little flex, which is especially great with a 4x4. and they don't leak.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #55
sick472

Judging by the attitudes and preferences in this thread along with my perception of everyone's age, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that headers are for the young guys and manifolds are for the farts...I doubt headers will ever go on one of my build ever again...here ,pull my finger!

Seriously, I'm old enough that my hearing has become a concern and the existence of cell phones (and easy listening music) makes me steer more towards a quiet ride with the power it needs to be fun, not squeeze every pony out of the drivetrain and turn heads for blocks. Stock manifolds are quiet compared to headers and, if you use the high performance ones and port match them, they are still quiet.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #56
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
Judging by the attitudes and preferences in this thread along with my perception of everyone's age, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that headers are for the young guys and manifolds are for the farts...I doubt headers will ever go on one of my build ever again...here ,pull my finger!

Seriously, I'm old enough that my hearing has become a concern and the existence of cell phones (and easy listening music) makes me steer more towards a quiet ride with the power it needs to be fun, not squeeze every pony out of the drivetrain and turn heads for blocks. Stock manifolds are quiet compared to headers and, if you use the high performance ones and port match them, they are still quiet.
Au contrere, mon Frere: I will be 68 next month. I bought my '68 C/10 Stepside in 1973, and put headers on it in 1978. I put headers on my '71 GMC in 1999 [bought in '95]. In both cases after an engine change.
Putting a cross-over pipe on your dual exhaust lines can cancel out a lot of noise. Also wrapping headers with 2'' hi-temp fibreglas header tape can really turn down the dBs. My Jimmy w/wrapped headers sounded like a Cadillac in underground garages. Car alarms would go off, and dogs would bark, but the sound vibes were below normal human hearing.
Also both my trucks are floor shifters, I don't have a free extremity to answer the phone while driving. [CB would be another matter, if I had it installed.]
Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:25 PM   #57
special-K
Special Order

I'm also in my '60s. If anything, I'd say it's the old farts from back when headers was about the first thing you did...back before the highly knowledgeable internet geniuses . I have never noticed a significant amount louder exhaust tone from running headers vs manifolds...unless you are talking how a truck sounds with the added power haulin' but down the road. I was forced into going from manifolds to headers on a trip thousands of miles from home with my family in my camper truck on a brand new exhaust system and "we" didn't see much difference in sound. At least nothing louder than the sound of the mufflers and tailpipes.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:54 PM   #58
'68OrangeSunshine

Yeah, Special-K.
Adding Headers and other Hi-Perf gear was a way of Just Saying NO to Mr Nixon's double nickel [55 MPH] national speed limit. And also thumbing your nose at the establishment's BS smog equipment that made no mechanical sense, but was some how politically reassuring to the uninformed masses. Living thru such times makes one a cynic.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:21 AM   #59
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Just turned 50... I have put headers on dang near every truck or car I have ever owned. Never noticed any extra noise from headers. Any noise gained came from the louder mufflers and larger pipes I would install. Main thing I learned very quick was not to overtighten fasteners. Especially collector fasteners. Once the flange is bent or warped from overtightened bolts... they are useless until you either pull them off and straighten them back out, or buy a new set of headers. Same goes for the header flange as well.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #60
mikecaddy500

Speedway has a nice set of ramshorns. ceramic coating seems to be holding up well, no leaks
mikecaddy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #61
special-K
Special Order

Sanderson QP1000s are sweet as well

https://www.sandersonheaders.com/var...P1000_300.jpeg

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-29-2018, 12:37 AM   #62
cornerstone

So I've had em both on my daily drivers, meaning cheapo headers that got all rusty, and stock manifolds. Now Im installing a gen 5 L83 5.3 / 6L80e which has something like 385 ponies and 385 Ftlb...... More power than I've ever had in a c10. I want QUIET so I can chill with music and no drone. So this time it will be manifolds. Maybe it is because I have 3 teenagers and I'm turning 50 shortly?
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:02 AM   #63
special-K
Special Order

Mufflers and pipes are what make the noise. But if you still don't believe that fact then go with cast iron headers that some call manifolds. You say you've done "both" as if there are only cheap headers or stock manifolds when there is a whole spectrum of grey area between that black & white point of view.

Tim

Old 04-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #64
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Mufflers and pipes are what make the noise. But if you still don't believe that fact then go with cast iron headers that some call manifolds. You say you've done "both" as if there are only cheap headers or stock manifolds when there is a whole spectrum of grey area between that black & white point of view.
Good point. Didnt make it fully clear. Thats what I meant. I want the whole package. No turbos, no flomasters series 45? just stock all the way. thanks.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote