The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2002, 09:56 AM   #1
Big 10

Post Is it worth buying a parts truck???

Yesterday I found a parts truck for $200. Its a '68 GMC lwb with power nothing and absolutely no options. The body is mostly shot too. As far as I can tell, there isn't anything that I need off of it, but I've never done a frame off (off frame) resto before. Could someone who's done this before please tell me if they think I will run into enough unforeseen little things that need replacing to justify buying the parts truck.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

------------------
'80 Chevy Cheyenne Big 10 350 4bbl. Daily driver

'67 lwb project currently in the planning stage

'67 lwb project currently in the planning stage
Big 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 10:17 AM   #2
kaycee

Talking

Well if it is pretty tore up then I wouldn't I would look to see if there are any parts you can use doors fenders is the cab all rusted out if not you might get your 200 back on just selling the right parts to someone else
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 10:26 AM   #3
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

If the parts truck has the parts you need and some others you think you might need, go for it. Beware...a parts truck might just have worn-out parts on it just like your truck, in which case you are buying more useless junk that you will have to throw away. Itemize the parts you need and see if they are there...there is always risk in this venture. Some guys have purchased parts trucks and then ended up restoring them since the truck was in such good condition...it is a double edged sword!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 11:16 AM   #4
COBALT

Yeah, it really is a double edged sword. I bought my parts truck back in November, and so far I'm pretty happy. Whenever I get "stuck" working on something where I'm missing a part I can go out and scavenge off the parts truck.

Try to get a truck that matches your same configuration, if not options then same year, engine, tranny, and suspension. Try to get the same hubs and axles, unless you want to change them. Then it doesn't really matter.

I got mine for the bed sides, the hood, small things like latches, fasteners in the cab, and the ever-popular extra dash. The engine is an original 350, which has never been rebuilt and I hope is NOT trash (we'll see). In the end I'm going to assemble a work truck out of the left-overs, so I can drive my restored one on special occasions and to go have fun, and I'll still have the work truck to go pick up lumber.

------------------
'69 3/4 ton C20 2wd w/ 350ci/400THM and a wood bed!
'69 3/4 ton Custom 20 2wd w/ ORIGINAL 350ci/4sp Manual and a wood bed (parts beast).
Seattle, WA.

*See pics of my trucks and project at www.webshots.com!
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 11:21 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

If it is a driver, you can always swap your crappy stuff onto it, then sell it when you're done raping it.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
FINALLY got the HORNIAC...a '70 one ton Longhorn with a Pontiac 350/350 and lots of 'personality'. Check out The Longhorn Webite.
If you need a pic posted, E-mail me at longhornmail@yahoo.com
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 11:33 AM   #6
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

One big thing to keep in mind....which you have probably already thought about.....do you have the storage area to keep it? I am running into that problem. Since I live in the "keepin up with the Jones'" type neighborhood I'm not sure where I am going to put the parts truck.

I guess I could boot the wifes car out of the garage! Yeah, right

------------------
2001 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax, Allison, 4WD, Love it

1971 Chevrolet 1/2 ton 2WD Short/Step Side. In process of frame off restoration
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 12:06 PM   #7
COBALT

I have the same problem. All parts and no place to store them. Living in a trendy neighborhood doesn't help at all.

Instead I do most of my heavy duty work and keep my parts truck out at my dad's farm. There I have 20 acres to do stuff.

------------------
'69 3/4 ton C20 2wd w/ 350ci/400THM and a wood bed!
'69 3/4 ton Custom 20 2wd w/ ORIGINAL 350ci/4sp Manual and a wood bed (parts beast).
Seattle, WA.

*See pics of my trucks and project at www.webshots.com!
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 01:41 PM   #8
bigvinnie

you say there's nothing you need off it and the body's shot.... can't imagine wanting to throw 200 bones at it... the only reason to get a parts truck is if it has parts you can use or sell.... or if it's really ugly, to p!ss off the neighbors for a while, LOL....

I was lucky enough to find a tired 72 custom deluxe for $200 that had exactly the parts I needed for my project (plus some good spares), so I bought it, stripped it and called the junkyard to come get the carcass. Best money I ever spent. Would have cost me 4 times that and a dozen trips to various boneyards to come up with the same parts.

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 02:22 PM   #9
Southpa

One of out board members (Spoof) and his neighbor split on buying a parts truck. As they both own 67-72 trucks and each needed different things, its the best way to go. But if there is nothing on the truck that you need...why bother?

------------------
Southpa
1970 GMC 1500 Custom
Victoria, BC, Canada

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 03:12 PM   #10
Desert Rat

Parts trucks offer alot of special little things you can use later on in life,switches,special clips,screw,when i strip a truck theres not a screw or bolt left,and the junk i dont want is lying in the back,never know when you might need a door hinge,window regulator,latch,wiper motor,and if your short on cash its sure nice to go dig in the shed and find it.Offer a $100 rearend is probably worth that,got a good core support,glass?
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 04:51 PM   #11
SCOTI

My last purchase was a 300$ rolling 67 gmc swb chassis. It included leaf rear w/all fact brackets, a/c dash w/bezels, a t400 trans w/driveshaft & yoke. I'll prob try & sell the rear-end & leaf set-up @ the swap meet. I bought it for the virgin frame as mine has been modified several times over the years & although solid, it looks like some stuff was an afterthought. With the parts frame I can perform all the mod's w/a finished, more professional look(I'm seriously anal about my sh!t)& then sell my old frame when I'm done(or buy a clean long bed, swap parts over & make it into a short to re-sell).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 05:39 PM   #12
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

hehe, I'm thinking of a donor truck was well, but I definetly don't have the space for it. That could be a problem. With my truck, it looks pretty rough on the outside, but underneath is good. Runs great, looks like crap! Unfortunetly for me, the previous owners never took care of the body, so it has rust ALL over. Some of it seems to be surface rust, which, with some sanding, might be okay. Other parts though, wow! Would be better off replacing them. Which is what I want to do, but every stinkin junkyard around here never carries any parts for these trucks. The few good junkyards filter all the good stuff out, before they release the junk into the yard for everyone else. Smart folks, it sucks for me! Maybe I can get a part time job at the junkyard, just to get some parts...and then quit!!!

------------------
1970 GMC 1500, 350ci, 3 in a tree

http://members.tripod.com/~Jungleman_2/1970GMC.html

Vancouver, B.C.