The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
Nodnarb76

Why no Suburban Love?

I'm sure everyone has read this article from back in April.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-25-april-2018

I noticed the Pickups and Blazers are rated near the top but the Suburbans are closer to the bottom of the list.
Is it because compared to the pickups and Blazers, Suburbans cost more when they were new, so people took better care of them? I figured the pickups were used as work trucks and the Blazers were used off road, so there may not be as many nice examples left compared to their Suburban cousins.

1987 R20 Suburban LQ4/4L80e swap: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=693824
Nodnarb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: Why no Suburban Love?

Two doors. Sporty factor. Whereas the Burb is utilitarian. 88-98 Burbs are as cheap or cheaper in many cases than square Burbs right now.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
smokehouse

I think it will all depend on what the millennials and what they want to spend their money on, They are what is going to drive the industry.

I think burbs are coming up you can't take a whole family in a regular cab truck on vacation. You got gear, lugage, and a dog and kids to take with you. I think that's why wagons are still in demand. You just wait they are coming up. I wanted a 3 door but i couldn't find a good example of one so i bought a 78 burb instead. It's cheaper than buying a vw bus i can tell you that. And a burb will tow way better than a swb truck any day.
smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
Killer Bee

statistical gibberish
Old 10-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
OutlawDrifter

I've been a believer that full-size trucks/suvs are the best of the best since I was a kid. Everyone wants a muscle car, but they aren't practical for much...believe me, I own 2.

A pickup is the most versatile vehicle ever made, they can be built to do all things well. I recently went from a 2013 F150 to a 1989 K5 Jimmy because it suits me better. I'll miss the utility of the open bed, but that's what trailers and hitch racks are for.

The GMT400 (88-98, 2000 for heavy pickups and suvs) platform is my favorite for working on, and the last of the real pickups/suvs in my mind. The brakes are the only issue I have with them.

Square bodies will be forever iconic, and nostalgic for many like me. I learned to drive in a '79 K10 my dad bought new. The body lines were so good, Ford copied them in 1980 and ran them through 1997.

My wife has a 2011 Suburban, great vehicle, does the job...I've been trying to talk her into buying a squarebody burb to LS swap and turn into the ultimate family cruiser, but to no avail. She likes her's and is not willing to turn loose of it.

My '89 K5 does everything well, and if it ran on thumbs up and compliments I'd never have to spend another dime on gas. If I could justify it, I'd have a 3/4t or 1 ton pickup for pulling trailers, a 1/2t 2wd for fun, a K5 to DD, and a burb for family vacations...all in squarebody packages....maybe when the kids are all out of the house.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
rideair

I personally think the Suburban will become a "got to have" in the coming years. If you look at the prices of the old station wagons, you will see where the prices have been going up in resent years. I also own a 1968 International Travelall, when I purchased it, you could not give them away, but recently they have been selling in the mid 20's for a good example.

Everyday, the squarebody Suburbans are rusting away, being stripped for parts to refurbish trucks, or made into hardcore mud trucks. A good original or restored Suburban is getting harder and harder to find.

If you have one keep it, can buy one, do so.

It will be a good investment in the coming years.

All it will take is for one to show up on the correct TV show.
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
smokehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
I personally think the Suburban will become a "got to have" in the coming years. If you look at the prices of the old station wagons, you will see where the prices have been going up in resent years. I also own a 1968 International Travelall, when I purchased it, you could not give them away, but recently they have been selling in the mid 20's for a good example.

Everyday, the squarebody Suburbans are rusting away, being stripped for parts to refurbish trucks, or made into hardcore mud trucks. A good original or restored Suburban is getting harder and harder to find.

If you have one keep it, can buy one, do so.

It will be a good investment in the coming years.

All it will take is for one to show up on the correct TV show.

They are driving a blue one on the show called The Gifted right now looks kinda like mine actually.

I just bought a nice solid original one from utah a couple weeks ago super solid all og untouched and it's a manual 2wd trailering package scottsdale with 3.73 gears and a 350. I love plain less to go wrong with no automatic tranny to mess up and no electric window motors to go out.

Last edited by smokehouse; 10-04-2018 at 03:13 PM.
smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote