The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2003, 11:02 AM   #1
Crew Dawg

big block in a blazer

I have some of questions and I know you all are great with answering the last questions I had? I was wondering how hard it would be to put a 454 into a 72 4wd blazer. The next question, is it worth it to try and do this or should I stay with a small block. Next question, is a rebuilt 454 complete meaning carb all the way down to the exhaust worth $1800. The guy said he would garantee the eng. Any advice would be great. Thank.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:28 PM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Here's a good recent thread for you to read. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=59752
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:43 PM   #3
Crew Dawg

Thanks for the input. Now, what is a big block worth. The eng has a mild cam, headers, flowmaster exhaust, aluminium intake, and I do not know what size carb. The eng is complete. All I have to do is bolt it in.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:30 AM   #4
jwhitfield

Need more BB swap info...

There seems to be several of us planning a BB swap. As I've said in the past, my original thought was that the job would be relatively simple. I too thought the 4x4s came with BBs. I've since learned otherwise. There seems to be two trains of thought out there. 1. You don't need to move anything forward, but everything is a tight fit. Some minor grinding and love tapping. 2. Move everything forward 2-2.5 inches.

I have yet to start my project, so I haven't got a good look at the components and crossmembers. My questions are with respect to the relocating of the driveline.
When you say move everything forward I'm assuming that means engine, tranny and transfercase. How is this done exactly? Is there enough space on the various crossmembers and supports to drill another set of holes or do you have to move those as well?
How about moving things 1", is that a good compromise?

Sorry for the length here, but if I take on this project, like to get it done in my life time. The more I know up front, the better prepared I'll be to make the decision....
jwhitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:22 AM   #5
Crew Dawg

When I was in High School, I put a 454 in 68 chevy truck . The engine slid right in until the headers hit the motor mounts. I had to have some custom motor mounts built for the headers, but everything else seemed to work fine. I was just wondering if the 4x4's were the same. I am thinking about running a 700r4 behind my big block. I have heard that the 700r4 is longer than the 350 turbo. If this is the case, then I am hoping that the longer tranny will make up for the movement forward. If I do this, I will keep everyone posted on my out come.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:00 PM   #6
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

There are several guys on CK5.com with big blocks in there blazers.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote